[SOLVED] Cannot Set New Boot Option in BIOS

Dave-H

15 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@jaclaz

Do you happen to have the tools from the first post of this reboot.pro discussion ? The P2V2P utility and its au3 remake?

I'd like to add them to my collection, but all links seem to be dead...

The AU3 remake should be this one attached, I don't think I have the original P2V2P utility (it was for XPE which I never used in my BartPE builds, so it is unlikely I ever downloaded it, in any case it is circa 2007, possibly earlier, which means that it might be in very old backups, if you really-really *need* it I may  dig those disks up and have a look)

jaclaz

drvins.7z

Hi again @RainyShadow!

I'm now trying to use DriverInjection to put the AMD AHCI driver onto the XP system.
Once I got my head around it, all went well until I came to load the system registry hive on the XP system.
First I couldn't access it, so I took ownership of the "system" file and gave myself full control.
Now it loads OK, but then just puts up an error message "Error 1x2: Error loading structure."
Any ideas?
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

4 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

No, it's still on ACPI.
I can't run 8.1 with it in IDE mode.
:)

ACPI? You mean AHCI?

OK, let's try something.

Use DriverInjection again, but this time select "Instal standard IDE driver". Then proceed as before.

After this switch SATA to IDE mode and try to boot XP.

You can switch it back when you boot Win8.

btw. Are you able to run a live "miniXP" from USB or elsewhere?

OK, I tried that.
Windows 8.1 now blue screens on the OS selection menu, but if I select XP on the menu when in AHCI mode and then go into the BIOS after it reboots to XP and select IDE mode, it does work.
I'm still getting a BSOD on Windows XP though, this time 0x7E instead of 0x7B.
:dubbio:

Incidentally, if I had run DriverInjection as an Administrator in the first place, do you think I would have had to still change the permissions on the system hive file?
Do you think i should now put its permissions back to as they were before?
I can obviously easily remove myself as a user on the file permissions, but how do I change the ownership back to what it was before?
Before I changed it, it said "unable to display owner", and I'm not sure you can clear ownership once you've set it.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

0x7E is very bad news. It may be easier to do a clean install of XP than fixing 0x7E, if possible at all.

You should try booting XP a few more times in different ways though, as i've seen cases where this error don't happen every time. Try booting straight from a power off state. Try Safe Mode, etc. If it manages to boot at least once, immediately uninstall the drivers for the previous hardware, and try installing new ones. You may have to switch HAL as well.

You can't restore the permissions to their exact previous state. The original owner was an XP account and Win8 knows only about its own accounts. Best you can do is set full access for "Everyone".

For now you should check if any XP can run on this system. Get a copy of some boot CD with "MiniXP" - it can be HBCD, FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD, BartPE, whatever. Put it on USB and see if it works.

Or you can put another HDD and try installing XP. WinNTSetup can help there.

You can use Gotcha Data Backup to migrate your data.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good!
:(
I'm wondering if perhaps something is trying to run on boot with is crashing the system, I would imagine that the Intel Application Accelerator is still trying to run for instance, which is now incompatible.
It doesn't BSOD instantly like it did with the 7B error, it does try to load, although the progress bar is stopping and starting, and eventually it produces the 7E BSOD.
As I can access the XP registry in 8.1 using Registry Workshop, do you think it's worth trying to remove all the startup items there?

@jaclaz or anyone else any ideas?

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

@jaclaz or anyone else any ideas?

Hmmm. :dubbio:

It is likely (but not necessarily true) that the 0x0000007E comes from IntelPPM service and its Start value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Services \ Intelppm 

On a normal (Intel) install it is set to 1 (System).

On a "universal" image it is is usually set to 3 (On demand) BUT there have been reports that on AMD Notebooks BUT NOT on AMD desktops it needs to be set to 4 (Disabled).

See:

http://reboot.pro/topic/13893-bsod-0x0000007e-while-booting-img-on-amd/

You have nothing to lose checking it and if not already 4 set it to 4.

jaclaz