Windows 10 Installed and I can see C: drive in explorer but not in disk manager...?

Hi guys!

I have upgraded a computer from 7 to 10 and it is a new ssd that is performing well...

The problem is disk manager isn't showing a drive installed at all?

Never had such a problem before....

I have an entry Disk 0 is dynamic....invallid....but I haven't changed anything at all...

What can have happened

bookie32

Moved to Hard Drive forum

There seems to be two main ways to fix this. One is to convert it to Basic with diskpart, but this normally erases the data. Another may be to hexedit info on the disk itself.

Just to be clear about the history of this system. Was this SSD present in this notebook when Windows 7 was installed, and the system was just upgraded to Windows 10 with no hardware changes? Does an actual RAID controller appear in Device Manager?

There are more than these, including a few Commercial tools that claim to be able to convert back from dynamic to basic, among them there is partition Wizard 4.2 (free version):

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html

But I wouldn't trust any automated method and would like to see what is actually on the device.

The differences between a (MBR style) dynamic disk and a basic disk (single device, i.e. simple not spanned) are trivial and can be fixed in no time:
1) partition ID in the MBR (42 vs 07)
2) excess sectors at the end of the disk (LDM database)

so a quick edit with TinyHexer or similar wouldn't be a problem, but here there is the issue of the Disk seen as invalid (before the "missing" volume).

I suspect that here the issue could be that of a conflict between the dynamic disk data and the GPT (second copy of) partition table, but the RAID reference is perplexing. :dubbio:

So before attempting a cure, I would like to diagnose the illness.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks so much guys...I will keep this in mind if it happens again....

I had upgraded the hard drive so I reinstalled the old one and cloned it again to the new one and continued with upgrading to Windows 10 without hickup....

bookie32