Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Would an amd ryzen 7 1800x work on Windows Vista?


Windows Vista
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 11 months later...

I'd like to give my input on the USB situation. It's required to disable the on-die usb3 controller on your ryzen CPU for stability under Windows Vista. In my case it was dev_149c. With a USB driver loaded for that device, I would get random lock-ups and BSODs. However, said issues no longer occur.

That being said, Windows Vista does have the same issue that affects Haswell+ Intel CPUs on Ryzen, just without the logon/lock screen bugs. The bug occurs with nvidia drivers and DX11 support. It has been found out by @Ximonite that this is due to a "drifting" bug in the Vista HAL which is yet to be fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AnX said:

The bug occurs with nvidia drivers and DX11 support

 Care to elaborate ? I use DX11 Nvidia drivers and play DX11 games with zero bugs on 64-bit Vista.

Hardware : GTX Titan , CPU Quad Xeon x3370 , 16GB DDR3 RAM , Fujitsu-Siemens motherboard . You mean I would see the bugs if my mobo had USB 3.0 ?

Yet another PC with the dreaded haswell , but in this case it's running x86 Vista , also no bugs with DX11 Nvidia (zero). Driver version 373.06. USB 3.0 controller is on , but no drivers installed , the mobo treats all USB inputs as 2.0 and they work at ordinary USB 2 speeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AnX said:

@Ximonite that this is due to a "drifting" bug in the Vista HAL which is yet to be fixed

I doubt that it will ever be fixed, very much . I'd be glad If I'm wrong , though. In the meantime, I bought plenty of 100% Vista compatible mobos for the several generations ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 10:38 PM, Dixel said:

Yet another PC with the dreaded haswell , but in this case it's running x86 Vista , also no bugs with DX11 Nvidia (zero). Driver version 373.06. USB 3.0 controller is on , but no drivers installed , the mobo treats all USB inputs as 2.0 and they work at ordinary USB 2 speeds.

Windows Vista's x86 HAL doesn't have the drifting bug, which is why the issues that plague Haswell on x64 Vista are absent there.

 

On 8/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, Dixel said:

I doubt that it will ever be fixed, very much . I'd be glad If I'm wrong , though. In the meantime, I bought plenty of 100% Vista compatible mobos for the several generations ahead.

We'll see what happens. Another alternative is of course, KVM with PCI passthrough, which can be done at such a low level, it's basically as if it's running baremetal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, winvispixp said:

could you list a few here ? :rolleyes:

I think you won't be impressed . Even though they were quite expensive , they aren't for hard core gamers . I prefer German quality , so I always buy Fujitsu Siemens (yes, they were still made in Germany up until 2018, don't know about now). If you want the models , some of them are D3012-a1 GS3 with 16GB DDR3 , D2912-A1 GS2 16GB and I game on a haswell board Siemens Fujitsu D3221-A12 GS2 W26361-W3321-Z3-04-36 , LGA 1150 , DDR3 32GB , it supports SLI . I love their design and quality . none of the Fujitsu Siemens goods have failed me yet. (for decades). Also , got several 24 inch Fujitsu Siemens premium monitors 16:10.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 3:44 PM, AnX said:

Windows Vista's x86 HAL doesn't have the drifting bug, which is why the issues that plague Haswell on x64 Vista are absent there.

Thanks cap., actually I was one of the first ones to notice it and wrote win32 about it, that's why I game on x86.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 3:44 PM, AnX said:

We'll see what happens. Another alternative is of course, KVM with PCI passthrough, which can be done at such a low level, it's basically as if it's running baremetal.

You still didn't answer my question. You wrote the bug has something to do with Nvidia DX11 drivers . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

none of the Fujitsu Siemens goods have failed me yet. (for decades)

i own a fujistu laptop, actually 2 but they are the same model (li2727)

one of them has the chipset fried (i don't know why, i guess it happened because of a power shock) but the batteries are amazing! after like 14 years one of them holds for about an hour and the other one 10 mins

Edited by winvispixp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, Dixel said:

You still didn't answer my question. You wrote the bug has something to do with Nvidia DX11 drivers . 

It's the drifting bug in Haswell and newer generation CPUs causing an issue with the nvidia dx11 drivers. You're obviously using a Westmere CPU, so you don't have that bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 12:15 AM, AnX said:

It's the drifting bug in Haswell and newer generation CPUs causing an issue with the nvidia dx11 drivers. You're obviously using a Westmere CPU, so you don't have that bug.

Well , I have a haswell laptop , it has this bug without Nvidia drivers installed , how woud you explain it then ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2021 at 10:19 PM, Dixel said:

Well , I have a haswell laptop , it has this bug without Nvidia drivers installed , how woud you explain it then ?

Intel graphics? In that case the bug affects DX11, not necessarily the drivers. It's still the same bug, a lack of drift correction in the hardware abstraction layer (HAL), which causes the aforementioned problems. It isn't as big of an issue in Ryzen, but it's clearly still an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 1:36 AM, AnX said:

Intel graphics? In that case the bug affects DX11, not necessarily the drivers. It's still the same bug, a lack of drift correction in the hardware abstraction layer (HAL), which causes the aforementioned problems. It isn't as big of an issue in Ryzen, but it's clearly still an issue.

I gather you're a Vista fan , right ? In that case you ought to know , there are no Vista video drivers for Intel Haswell at all , so I couldn't install them , even if I wanted to. This bug happens on Vista RTM (without DX11 support) , how would you explain it then ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, Dixel said:

I gather you're a Vista fan , right ? In that case you ought to know , there are no Vista video drivers for Intel Haswell at all , so I couldn't install them , even if I wanted to. This bug happens on Vista RTM (without DX11 support) , how would you explain it then ?

The drifting bug is even worse with Vista RTM. I don't understand what you mean by "how do you explain", the drifting bug is a byproduct of cheaper clock circuitry in Haswell and newer CPUs and Windows Vista's lack of correction re: timing drift. If you want a more in-depth explanation, @Ximonite would be able to provide it. But this is the gist of the bug and why it happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...