Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

I have just read the entire topic and hope to summarize it:
Download HDA Driver for Windows 3.1 here http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/
Or AC'97???
Then use one of deomsh's files and place in the C:\WINDOWS directory?

Please let me know! I want to try this on VirtualBox! I am also trying to document these drivers for NT 4.0 and Windows 3.1/95/98/98SE/ME systems. I've just discovered the NT 4.0-compatible one (developed by SciTech) and want to try this one as well. My goal is to properly preserve and make these things less obsolete and more user-friendly:thumbup

I'm aware this is a 9x-topic, but has anyone tried the NT 4.0 SciTech HDA drivers on later OSes like Windows 2000 or XP? It's absolutely entertaining to find older drivers that work on much newer operating systems. My D600, R60, Acer Nitro 5, etc are all dying to test and revive all these systems and show Microsoft we don't need 10 :)

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

On 5/25/2019 at 9:35 PM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I have just read the entire topic and hope to summarize it:
Download HDA Driver for Windows 3.1 here http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/
Or AC'97???
Then use one of deomsh's files and place in the C:\WINDOWS directory?

You need to download HDADRV9J.ZIP. The driver, HDA2.DLL must be placed in %windir%\system. HDATSR.EXE and WAVEOUT.EXE can be placed anywhere, but %windir% is convenient. In case of HDAICOUT.HDA, %windir% is mandatory.

In latest VBox 6 the driver gives good sound with Windows 3.1, crackles only if moving the mouse, but that's normal behaviour for this OS. In Windows 98se the behaviour of the driver is normally BETTER than in Windows 3.1, but in VBox much WORSE! 

I am still testing in VBox 6. Sound ist *somehow* better with DirectX 9.0c and extreme low MinFileCache/MaxFileCache settings, but still crackling.

So far I found following workaround in VBox: set  MinTimeSlice=100 (100 !!) in SYSTEM.INI [386Enh]. Playing a MP3 in Media Player is not bad with this setting. :sneaky:

BTW: In VBox all Widget´s in HDACFG.INI  must be set to $03, as @UCyborg found out (SleepingWidget, PowerWidget and OutputWidget). HDAICOUT.HDA is not necessary, but I found out that an empty file speeds up the first playback considerably.

-------------------
HDAICOUT.HDA
-------------------
Begin
End
-------------------

BTW2: In VBox Windows 3.1 must be installed WITHOUT any System Acceleration. Windows 98se needs ALL System Acceleration enabled.

Edited by deomsh
Additions, delete one sentence

I still don't know which driver I'm supposed to download from the original link...
http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/
HDA Driver 9 or AC'97?

Please translate into amateur computer user-friendly language. Tell me if I'm getting this right. :wacko:

This topic is so long and the files are all scattered:wacko:
1. Download HDADRV9J.zip
2. Place HDA2.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\System
3. Make sure HDARSR.EXE and WAVEOUT.EXE are accessible (place in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM" for convinience)
4. Place HDAICOUT.HDA in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Notes:
Originally a Windows 3.1 driver, but works in Windows 9x with tweaks
The driver makes crackling sounds and needs improvement
Sound is much more clear with DirectX 9.0c installed and extremely low MinFileCache/MaxFileCache settings (crackling still remains)
In virtualbox, set MinTimeSlice=100 (100 !!) in SYSTEM.INI [386Enh]
VirtualBox installations of Windows 3.1 CANNOT use System Acceleration, but VirtualBox 98SE REQUIRE ALL System Accerlation.

Also, I am planning to install NT 4.0 on another hard drive of my Dell Latitude D600 and maybe R60 as well (probably gonna try ME on the R60 again).
Perhaps I can get ME working on the R600's 945GM chipset (LoneCrusader's unofficial INF), VEMP, use this audio driver (HDA), and then figure out ethernet and wireless...

Even if I don't succeed completely, it's one step closer to obtaining 9x on modern hardware:whistle:9x with a Duo 2 T7200 would be great. Too bad it doesn't natively see dual cores.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

@deomsh

Sorry to bump this thread for an off topic question, but does the Windows 3.1 HD Audio driver I've now got installed on Windows 98 also work in DOS?
A big ask I'm sure, but just wondering!
I'd like to have sound in old games running in DOS mode if it's at all possible.
If it's a "no" as I suspect it will be, no problem!
Thanks, Dave.
:)

No.

About a year ago I tried emulator VDMSound (9x, alpha) playing Prince of Persia 1 in a DosBox inside Windows, with hda2.dll as wave-device. Sound worked, but the game crashed as soon Midi had to be played. I didn't find a solution yet to use DirectMusic (Hda2.dll is not a WDM-driver!).

Edited by deomsh
Language

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, but I thought I'd ask just in case!
I guess there is no way to get sound in DOS games in DOS mode with the audio hardware that I have now.
:no:

I mean raw DOS mode, without going via Windows.
What you get if you select "command prompt" from the Windows 98 F8 startup menu, or "restart in DOS mode" from the Windows 98 shutdown menu.

Raw DOS mode require raw DOS Audio drivers for those old games...which for HD Audio are non-existent. There are modern DOS utilities that can work with HD Audio such as MPXPLAY, but for old games - not a chance.

Best bet is to use a PCI SoundBlaster/Yamaha/ESS/Aureal soundcard which has pure DOS drivers which emulate SB16/AdLib/OPL which those old games expect.
For real DOS sound experience, an ISA soundcard is the best bet, whenever you like it or not. Once all the focus went into making WDM drivers once PCI soundcards appeared, pure DOS drivers emulating old SB16 often were an afterthought (especially in the case of SB Live and alike). And there is no hope once we got to PCI-E.

No wonder people just want to use PCem/86Box/DOSBox for good DOS experience with sound, as doing it on modern hardware natively is impossible, and old hardware suited for it can be expensive these days.

Look here for more details:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59532

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought!
:(
I think I was very lucky to find an HD Audio driver that would work in Windows 98, I thought DOS would be pushing it!