Looking for info about the upcoming standalone SHA-2 patch for Win7

Thinkpad4

From what I have gathered, currently there is no PoC for this. It is basically saying that at some point in the future, you'll need this to do certain things. One of which, I am presuming, is use Windows Update.

The thing about being able to connect to wireless networks is valid enough I suppose. Currently it seems Windows 7 is in an in-between-land regarding those (at least in my experience) so I may mitigate that issue entirely by not using Windows 7 on wireless computers.

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for this information, erpdude8. Greatly appreciated. For a non-expert like me could you clarify the following:

(1) Does this update completely replace the previous versions of KB4474419?
(2) Should I uninstall the previous version of this KB4474419 before installing this new one (v3)?
(3) If I was rebuilding my system from scratch would it be okay to install this 'v3' version and forget about installing any previous versions that I have before installing the v3?

8 hours ago, Radish said:

(1) Does this update completely replace the previous versions of KB4474419?
(2) Should I uninstall the previous version of this KB4474419 before installing this new one (v3)?
(3) If I was rebuilding my system from scratch would it be okay to install this 'v3' version and forget about installing any previous versions that I have before installing the v3?

My read of this article is that the March 2019 versions (v1) of KB4474419 and KB4490628 are sufficient for most people.  These two are required in order to install any subsequent versions.

The August version (v2) of ...4419 seems to be a reminder to update.

The September version (v3) of ...4419 seems to only add a patch for boot issues on Intel Itanium64 machines.

If I were to rebuild my system from scratch using the original oem disks, I would have to reinstall any recent updates that I want.

I haven't actually installed any of this nonsense yet,  but I've downloaded these two patches just in case :)

kb4474419

kb4490628

Edited by taos