Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

It looks like KB4464566 is breaking excel and any other word applications with Office 2010 on Windows XP and Windows 2003 machines only. After installing it I'm getting an error Excel.exe/Winword.exe - Entry point not found. Then it goes on to say the procedure entry point EnumCalendarInfoExEx could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll. Then after hitting okay to 2 of those same messages then I get an error that says The operating system is not presently configured to run this application. I've had to deny these in the past to those OS's but I'd like to find out why and I don't want to go down the path of denying security updates. Microsoft puts them out for a reason so I'd like to have them installed.

32 minutes ago, Paul75 said:

It looks like KB4464566 is breaking excel and any other word applications with Office 2010 on Windows XP and Windows 2003 machines only. After installing it I'm getting an error Excel.exe/Winword.exe - Entry point not found. Then it goes on to say the procedure entry point EnumCalendarInfoExEx could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll. Then after hitting okay to 2 of those same messages then I get an error that says The operating system is not presently configured to run this application. I've had to deny these in the past to those OS's but I'd like to find out why and I don't want to go down the path of denying security updates. Microsoft puts them out for a reason so I'd like to have them installed.

See: 

Thanks for the reply...
Yes, many MS Office 2010 32-Bit updates have been installing fine for a good couple of years now.
Seemed odd that this one didn't and searching the Internet ran across this ( MSFN ) forum, thought I'd ask.
Saw a few references of this update related to XP, so wondered if that might be it.
Trying to dicpher event logs is a little above my pay grade...couldn't tell anything from them.

Not having any problems for which this change is supposed to deal with, so guess I'll just 'hide' it and maybe try it again in a month.
Thanks

The problem is with the MSO.DLL file.
The updates which replace this file are now replacing it with a version that is not compatible with Windows XP.
The last compatible version is 14.0.7214.5000, which is date stamped 14th September 2018, and was included in KB4092483.
All later versions will not work, and there is no solution to this I'm afraid.
Microsoft have been told about this, but not surprisingly have not done anything about it.
I'm sure their line now is that none of their software is now supported on Windows XP, even if it was originally.
:no:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

OK, and just to be sure I've been clear:

1) I'm running Win 10 Pro, not XP;

2) This update just came to me yesterday, 10/02/19...not last year;

Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4475604) 32-Bit Edition

Edited by roundball

Yes indeed, sorry for any confusion, I was replying to @Paul75.
:yes:
I'm afraid I have no idea why the latest update won't install on your Windows 10 system.
If you look at the Windows Update "View Update History" section, your failed installs should be listed there.
Is there an error code quoted?

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

All it does is post that normal "Failed to install" phrase.
And when I double click the highlighted phrase there's nothing unique under it.
( just the normal "This change if for fixes and security, blah, blah, blah )

I appreciate that you took time to offer some help...I'll just "hide" this thing for a while, thank you again.

That sounds like you're not looking where I'm looking.
Are you looking at the Windows Update history list?
On my Windows 10, if any update fails, there's an entry which says "XX update failed to install on xx date, error code xxxx".
Does yours not say that?
:dubbio:

20 hours ago, roundball said:

I appreciate that you took time to offer some help...

You can try to run the standalone setup file as admin. 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter, the file only have to be the same as the office suite.

But I am not sure that this solve the problem (no Win 10 here)

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes indeed, sorry for any confusion, I was replying to @Paul75.
:yes:
I'm afraid I have no idea why the latest update won't install on your Windows 10 system.
If you look at the Windows Update "View Update History" section, your failed installs should be listed there.
Is there an error code quoted?

Thanks, I wonder if anyone has contacted Microsoft or opened a ticket. Not much information out there on this but then again probably not many users running XP or 2003. Office 2010 is still supported but I'm wondering if Microsoft would come back and say your running it on an unsupported OS and will not support it?

32 minutes ago, Paul75 said:

I wonder if anyone has contacted Microsoft

... A few posts above, this very page:

22 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Microsoft have been told about this, but not surprisingly have not done anything about it.
I'm sure their line now is that none of their software is now supported on Windows XP, even if it was originally.

;)