Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

4 hours ago, expo said:

@Dave-H. Thanks. I did manage to get missing updates via MS Update Catalogue as you suggested. Had to changeout MSO.DLL again.

Today I used ie8 Microsoft Update and it worked OK.  I was offered Word KB4484380, which didn't seem to break anything.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!
:thumbup

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as the reply appeared on a new page

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, Dave-H said:

Two more today, KB4484382 (Outlook) and KB4484458 (Word).
All OK!
:yes:

@Dave-H

Hi, Dave! Thanks for having this thread up. I haven't encountered this issue yet but I'd like to avoid it. I have an Office 2010 folder with updates through February 2020 all slipstreamed into it - only because I haven't bothered to update through now yet, I'll probably wait until October and then refresh the updates and remove old ones.

I've gone back a few pages and it seems like MSO.DLL in the newest updates is OK in XP now. So, as long as I am using reasonably up to date updates slipstreamed into my Office 2010, will there not be any issues? It would be a shame to have to avoid updates since 2018, since they are all cumulative, but it sounds like they are all working now; are there issues with this approach?

Thanks!

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't use a version of MSO.DLL after version 14.0.7214.5000, which is the last XP compatible version.
That was issued with KB4092483.
All other files are fine (so far!)
When you install KB4092483 keep a copy of its MSO.DLL file somewhere safe, and if Office programs fail to run when subsequent updates are installed, just replace MSO.DLL with the one you saved.
Everything should then come good.

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The only thing you have to watch out for is that you don't use a version of MSO.DLL after version 14.0.7214.5000, which is the last XP compatible version.
That was issued with KB4092483.
All other files are fine (so far!)
When you install KB4092483 keep a copy of its MSO.DLL file somewhere safe, and if Office programs fail to run when subsequent updates are installed, just replace MSO.DLL with the one you saved.
Everything should then come good.

Is MSO.DLL present before MSO is installed?

Just wondering how it will work out if all the updates are slipstreamed. I can't individually pick out 4092483 from the files.

I may be able to go in afterwards and uninstall the update from Control Panel, but I don't know if that will restore the MSO.DLL that would have existed otherwise, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

No, it's an Office file, AFAIK it's not part of Windows if Office isn't installed.
I guess if you want to slipstream all the updates, you will need to just do that, but then replace the MSO.DLL file with version 14.0.7214.5000 after the process is finished.
If you don't do that, you will end up with a non-functional installation.
Must easier to do that as if you uninstall updates you will get nagged by Microsoft Update about updates being missing (if it's still working that is!)
Just get KB4092483 from the Update Catalogue, extract the MSO.DLL from it, and replace the one installed with it.
Whether that can be automated with a batch file or something I don't know.
:dubbio:

15 hours ago, Dave-H said:

No, it's an Office file, AFAIK it's not part of Windows if Office isn't installed.
I guess if you want to slipstream all the updates, you will need to just do that, but then replace the MSO.DLL file with version 14.0.7214.5000 after the process is finished.
If you don't do that, you will end up with a non-functional installation.
Must easier to do that as if you uninstall updates you will get nagged by Microsoft Update about updates being missing (if it's still working that is!)
Just get KB4092483 from the Update Catalogue, extract the MSO.DLL from it, and replace the one installed with it.

@Dave-H

Hmm... so when I try extracting MSO.DLL from the update, I can't seem to find it. I'm using the 32 bit update here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4092483

There's two files - one just contains a TXT file, the other is mso-x-none. This seemed promising, but extracting it with 7-Zip just gives me an XML and an MSP, and extracting the MSP gives 198 folders all named like: #9500AF041A000014.0.7015.1000 for example. Inside, there's just a bunch of files like:

!_Columns

!_StringData

!_StringPool

!_Tables

All are 1 KB files. Can't seem to further extract any of these. Am I doing something wrong here?

UPDATE: I tried the EXE version from Microsoft Download and it seemed very similar.

A bunch of TXT files and an MSO-X-NONE MSP and XML.

Extracted the MSP, I get these same #9500... folders. There is a 8 MB PATCH_CAB file in it though, which contains, when extracted, MSO.DLL.86! It's 18 MB, I'm assuming this is it?

Whether that can be automated with a batch file or something I don't know.

Manually extracting the MSO.DLL, probably not easily, but replacing the other one with this, not too bad. I'll do it manually but could be scripted as part of startup or installation

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Sounds right.
My MSO.DLL file is exactly 18,640,016 bytes, if yours matches that, it must be it!
Drop the 86 off the file name, and check its version, it should be 14.0.7214.5000.
:)

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sounds right.
My MSO.DLL file is exactly 18,640,016 bytes, if yours matches that, it must be it!
Drop the 86 off the file name, and check its version, it should be 14.0.7214.5000.
:)

@Dave-HOK, something weird is up. I try to install and I get "..encountered an error during setup."

The same files I have used to install MSO 2010 SP2 on W7 and Vista with no issues.

58 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

What are you actually installing when you see the error?

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus, running setup.exe

Begins but then fails a minute later, every time

Same in Safe mode, when it fails even more quickly

Happens even with all updates and SP2 removed, not sure what's up.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Oh right, so you can't install Office 2010 at all!
Is there anything in the Windows Event logs which sheds any more light on what's happening?
Office does use the Microsoft Installer, which is usually pretty good at logging what it's doing.
You may well find further logs in your Windows TEMP folder.

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Oh right, so you can't install Office 2010 at all!
Is there anything in the Windows Event logs which sheds any more light on what's happening?
Office does use the Microsoft Installer, which is usually pretty good at logging what it's doing.
You may well find further logs in your Windows TEMP folder.

Indeed: Error: MsiInstaller

What the heck? No idea what this could mean!

Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also in another log:

The server {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Probably not the greatest security practice to man, but once I install Office I just grab the offline service pack installers and patch it locally. Call it a day. I don't use Outlook though, or rather anything that's sending/receiving information over the internet. Most documents I open (that I didn't make myself) are either converted down from Google Docs, or come from Word Online collaborations.

Office Enterprise 2007 SP3 here.