Aeroglass stopped working for me

Everyone,

I'm at a complete loss.  I've been using BigMuscle's Aero Glass plugin for Windows since Microsoft stopped supporting that interface in Win 8.  It has worked like a charm most of the time.  However, with recent updates that plugin completely breaks.  I get the error message below, and no transparency.

Aero Glass for Win8.1+ Incompatibility issue

Aero Glass does not know how to hook your version of DWM (0x81).

You should download appropriate symbols package for your operating system from Microsoft website and press Retry button.

I installed the latest version (v1.5.9) to no avail.  The same thing happens.

I have been round and round looking for answers on forums, but all I find is mumbo jumbo about downloading symbols packages, with complicated, hard-to-follow instructions for installing the Microsoft SDK and Windows debugger.  Is there a simple way to overcome this error and get back my semi-transparent, blurred window captions?  Why did Microsoft take that away anyway?!!

AeroGlassError.jpg

Edited by bthompson1234
Remove all-caps word to comply with rule 11.

first thing we need is your windows build.  Right-click the start button, click on Run, type in winver and press OK.  Let us know which version you are using.  You can post a screen shot.  It should say OS Build, then we need THAT number.

Thanks for the quick response!

It's Windows 10, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.285).

I read in the comments that v1.5.9 is supposed to work for that version.

I got this PC in early July and Aero worked for me until it updated just this past weekend.  I turned the computer on and got a "Hi" message, followed by a login screen with all my settings wiped out, including Aero Glass.

WindowBuild.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 6:25 AM, bthompson1234 said:

Thanks for the quick response!

It's Windows 10, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.285).

I read in the comments that v1.5.9 is supposed to work for that version.

I got this PC in early July and Aero worked for me until it updated just this past weekend.  I turned the computer on and got a "Hi" message, followed by a login screen with all my settings wiped out, including Aero Glass.

WindowBuild.jpg

Try this:

1) Go to your AeroGlass install folder, and then open the 'symbols' followed by the 'dwmcore.pdb' folders.

2) Create a new folder and label it exactly as follows: 7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81

3) Click on the following link to download a .BLOB file with a long name: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81/dwmcore.pdb

4) Open the newly downloaded file's properties and make sure the file isn't blocked.

5) Rename the file you just downloaded to 'dwmcore.pdb' (without the quotes).

6) Cut and paste the renamed file to the folder created in step 2.

7) Click on the 'Retry' button in the 'Incompatibility Issue' window.  Hopefully it'll work.  If it doesn't, sorry, I tried, good day.

Edited by sbkw1983

On 9/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, sbkw1983 said:

Try this:

1) Go to your AeroGlass install folder, and then open the 'symbols' followed by the 'dwmcore.pdb' folders.

2) Create a new folder and label it exactly as follows: 7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81

3) Click on the following link to download a .BLOB file with a long name: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81/dwmcore.pdb

4) Open the newly downloaded file's properties and make sure the file isn't blocked.

7) Click on the 'Retry' button in the 'Incompatibility Issue' window.  Hopefully it'll work.  If it doesn't, sorry, I tried, good day.

Good job! may I ask you a question^_^ , How do we know the download address of dwmcore.pdb? Maybe one day win10 updated to a higher version.

tks~

On 9/25/2018 at 8:03 AM, kfcalf said:

Good job! may I ask you a question^_^ , How do we know the download address of dwmcore.pdb? Maybe one day win10 updated to a higher version.

tks~

One way:

The following is not intended for Insider Preview builds of Windows 10.

I'm assuming your AeroGlass install folder is the default location (C:\AeroGlass).

Remember to ensure every file you download is unblocked (in File Properties) before attempting to use it.

Ideally, re-run the attached .bat (Windows Batch) file (always as Administrator) which you've downloaded based on your CPU architecture (usually x64) after each Windows Update is downloaded, installed, and your PC is rebooted as required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Download (+ unblock) and install Windows 10 SDK from the following link: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

2) Open PC Settings and download + install the latest official updates for Windows 10.  Reboot your computer afterwards if required.

3) Once completed Step 2 and logged in again, download the appropriate .bat (Windows Batch) file (based on your CPU architecture - usually it's x64) and run it as Administrator.

4) Press any key at the end to close the window.  You should be done until the next update (you should have the latest symbols in question now), good day.

=============================================

Edit: If I have time, I'll try to streamline it further (e.g: task .XML format), but this will have to do for now, sorry.

AeroGlass_Symbols_Updater_x32.bat

AeroGlass_Symbols_Updater_x64.bat

Edited by sbkw1983

Direct Links for Windows 10 (OS Build 17134.285 + 17134.320) Symbols in .BLOB file format (rename to dwmcore.pdb).

The exact names for the folders that need to be created are located in the center (copy + paste) of each corresponding OS Build.

====================================================================

Again, make sure to unblock every file you download (via File Properties) before using any of them.

Or, alternatively, you can disable the security feature entirely if you wish.  I use a frequently updated tool for Windows 10 called 'Winaero Tweaker' (available at www.winaero.com).  It features a ton of VERY useful tweaks, and as far as I'm aware, it's freeware as well as free of bloatware.

For what it's worth, I swear on my life that I am NOT affiliated with the development of this software, nor the hosting website, nor anything else other than the fact that I use it myself.  So I'm not trying to plug my own work, or anything of that nature.

====================================================================

Back to the original topic at hand:

Windows 10 (OS Build 17134.285) -- 7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81 -- http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81/dwmcore.pdb

Windows 10 (OS Build 17134.320) -- 599E1538C2CCF8ECE275EE95CC1EE9C31 -- http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/599E1538C2CCF8ECE275EE95CC1EE9C31/dwmcore.pdb

Edited by sbkw1983
Reason for edit: Ancient Chinese secret!

7 hours ago, sbkw1983 said:

Direct Links for Windows 10 (OS Build 17134.285) Symbols in .BLOB file format (rename to <appropriate_file_name>.pdb as shown to the left of each corresponding link).

The exact names for the folders that need to be created are located in the center (copy + paste) of each of its corresponding symbol file name.

Again, make sure to unblock every file you download (via File Properties) before using it.

dwmcore.pdb - 7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81 - http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/dwmcore.pdb/7E2FFBA889DA4A0EEEC178DF672CE1B81/dwmcore.pdb

Awesome! tks again!best wishes.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, sbkw1983 said:

Try this:

It also worked for me. Thanks a lot!!!! You're awesome :-)

18 hours ago, Renne said:

How about 17134.320,ver.?

In case it helps, I updated my previous post to include Windows 10 (OS Build 17134.320).  And I will do so again going forward, good day :-)

ZiyaadMuhammad - You deserve credit for responding first, so thank you kindly :-)