Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
cov3rt

using c++ runtime updates instead of .net framework

i was wondering if .net framework is really needed on any system, although more specifically the systems i am working on are 98SE, NT4, and windows 2000, i've been updating my archived files and folders and it's causing me to exceed the amount of necessary space for my folders because one update then requires another update or i add one thing but then i notice i need other stuff, etc. 

however, i was wondering if .net framework can be completely avoided on these systems and instead install in order visual runtime c++ 6.0, 7.0 / 7.1, 8.0, and 9.0 individually, or is .net framework more important for other things? another issue i have noticed is that installing .net framework 2.0 on NT4 and 98SE still required me to manually install c++ 6.0 and 7.1 to be able to run properly, some applications wouldn't work unless i did because the .net framework doesn't seem to install the files in the right folders or at all, visual c++ 2005 runtime also is installed later for 98SE but that's fine

as for 2k, i've tried to go back with experimenting with the extended kernel, i have hit a wall right now because apparently i was supposed to install visual c++ 6.0 runtime file msvcp6 before installing the extended kernel and now i am forced to copy the file in command prompt which i still don't know if it's ok to use the very early update i use on my 98SE and NT4 builds or if this would be imcompatible, the reason why i'd rather copy the older msvcp6 file and not the newer one from the extended kernel is because i was planning on using the earlier vc6 update from the start, then vc7, then install extended kernel to allow proper updating. i also plan on adding visual c++ 2005 and 2008 to be installed before the extended kernel, this way, i know i used all official updates first too. 

The crt's and .net are mutually exclusive like DirectX and OpenGL. Some apps need one, other apps need the other. What you keep will be determined by what apps you use and their requirements.

7 minutes ago, jumper said:

The crt's and .net are mutually exclusive like DirectX and OpenGL. Some apps need one, other apps need the other. What you keep will be determined by what apps you use and their requirements.

well, i am packaging everything so that at the end of the system, whoever would be using the system would be good for "general" or "moderate" usage, i notice that all of the visual c++ updates i have, 6,7,8 and 9 contain msvcrt and msvcp, so i was wondering if you happen to know more specifically a file that the .net provides or a example of one program that would run on a .net framework 2.0 system without the added vc6 and vc7 updates ( 98SE, since it needs to still be added manually for some weird reason ) vs just having the runtime files installed and not the .net framework? 

mscoree.dll