Ways to spoof as W7 and avoid stuff?

SRainharp

I think that a lot of programs that block Vista and allow 7, but still work, would be possible get around this...

Does anyone know if there's ways to spoof the OS as being Windows NT 6.1, while actually being 6.0, to programs' install process - and is there a list of what works and what doesn't?

Thanks

What exactly does that do? :P

From a quick search it appears to be for W2K and I haven't seen any results about Vista, but I'll be intrigued to try it when I get Vista installed here.

And another question: has it been tested with iTunes (any version that'll work with iOS 11)?

Edited by SRainharp

On 9/2/2018 at 3:17 PM, SRainharp said:

What exactly does that do? :P

It can "spoof" apps to see a higher windows version.

From a quick search it appears to be for W2K and I haven't seen any results about Vista, but I'll be intrigued to try it when I get Vista installed here. 

It was indeed developed for win2k, but it can spoof win 7/8 so it's still useful on vista.

And another question: has it been tested with iTunes (any version that'll work with iOS 11)?

I think it was tried, but I'm not sure. You can certainly try.

---------------------------------------

If you want to see how I used this, (albeit, on XP/2000, but the principle is the same) look here:

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, SRainharp said:

Does anyone know if there's ways to spoof the OS as being Windows NT 6.1, while actually being 6.0, to programs' install process - and is there a list of what works and what doesn't?

@WinClient5270 has often mentioned a program called PEMAKER by MSFN member blackwingcat, e.g. in this post demonstrating that official Pale Moon 28 won't work on Vista. I don't really know, but strongly suspect that any iTunes version recent enough to support iOS 11 also won't work on Vista. As I recall, iTunes wasn't working very well on Vista four years ago, which is why version 11.1.5 is still installed on my Vista PC (but obviously I don't use it to support mobile devices).

Well that's cool.

I'll try some things later, maybe even test with XP too with some things. An 'extended kernel' or wrapper thing for Vista to make it use 7 functions, which could be probably easy to port, would be a great idea... just there's not enough demand I guess and I can't do anything as I barely know PHP lol