I Want To Run XP On An HP 15-G010DX - Is It Possible?

cc333

Anyone?

Incidentally, I recently succeeded in getting XP installed on a Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM.

I guess the only way to find out for certain, would be to actually try booting XP on the HP and see what happens.

c

11 hours ago, cc333 said:

I guess the only way to find out for certain, would be to actually try booting XP on the HP and see what happens.

Very likely it is possible to boot XP on it, once found a proper driver for the (I believe SATA) disk drive, and in any case booting from the USB (2.0) a "flat" XP or a "inside VHD" one should be perfectly possible.

The issues may come from *all the other* drivers, the "specs page" (in typical HP style) provides only a small fraction of the information needed.

If you have the actual laptop handy (running 7 or 8.1) you should make a detailed list of the hardware, from that - maybe - it would be possible to understand what drivers are needed and whether they exist/can be found for XP.

Personally I use SIV:

http://rh-software.com/

a full report would be largely overkill for just listing the hardware, a simpler "File->Save PCIdata" would be enough I believe.

jaclaz

3 hours ago, Dibya said:

Hi ,

Pci ids can help to find driver easily.

If you ask me, finding drivers would've be the easiest part, since the laptop's motherboard might not be compatible with Windows XP and if this's the case, we're in trouble.

Edited by Windows 2000

If there are any incompatibilities, I think it'll be mostly with the chipset/video drivers. I can't say for sure since I'm not very experienced in the newer stuff but usually if you're going to have problems, that's one of the big ones that you'll have problems with, that and wireless LAN which can be quite picky sometimes too. Going from Windows XP to 2000 was generally a piece of cake since it runs off the same kernel and core so to speak, but since XP was the last NT5 and the switch to WDDM in Vista on up, that's where a lot of issues fall into. I've seen XP video drivers for video work on 7 (with limitations), but I don't think going backwards is easy if possible at all unless it uses the WDM driver type, which then you might have a chance.

Incidentally, I can't believe that computers are still being equipped with 5400RPM hard drives, with today's large OSs, I'd never use anything less than 7200RPM.

OK, that makes sense. My understanding is that WDM is forward compatible by design (i.e., a driver for XP, if well behaved, will work unmodified on subsequent Windows versions, particularly video drivers, but at the expense of newer features present in those versions), but the reverse isn't necessarily true, unless the later driver is written to the older standard.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

And, yes, 5400 RPM drives are a little slow for the newest OSes. Builders probably use them because they're cheap.

The most cost effective choice is to use 7200 RPM drives (as you do), or even better, an SSD (those are still rather pricey for large capacities, but smaller ones have become rather affordable the last few years).

I might pose that as an upgrade option for my friend. I'll pull his existing drive and install XP and/or 7 on a spare, so I can easily revert back to a known working install without a bunch of extra work (besides, I don't have any 8.1 install media downloaded yet).

c

2 hours ago, cc333 said:

The most cost effective choice is to use 7200 RPM drives (as you do), or even better, an SSD (those are still rather pricey for large capacities, but smaller ones have become rather affordable the last few years).

Not to derail your thread but on this note, I actually use an 50GB SSD for my OS and a 250GB 7200RPM hard drive for my internal storage. Since I used Windows 2000 Advanced Server, even with an SSD it doesn't boot the fastest but when I'm in, applications usually start right up. MS Word 2000 is instant basically which is nice but I have to agree that they use those probably to make them cost effective since most laptops are very cheap these days.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Not to derail your thread but on this note, I actually use an 50GB SSD for my OS and a 250GB 7200RPM hard drive for my internal storage. Since I used Windows 2000 Advanced Server, even with an SSD it doesn't boot the fastest but when I'm in, applications usually start right up. MS Word 2000 is instant basically which is nice but I have to agree that they use those probably to make them cost effective since most laptops are very cheap these days.

Ditto on my  XP pc

12ogb SSD for OS and a 1tb HDD for Other purpose on my main pc with a devil i7 2600k and 16gb of ram

OK, I've finally made the attempt.

I was able to set the computer to legacy mode in the UEFI setup, which enables BIOS emulation for Windows 7, Vista and XP (XP was explicitly mentioned, so apparently there's a hint of compatibility there), so now it boots!

However, when I do the F6 command and feed it the AMD SATA drivers, it loads normally, and then complains that it can't find amd_sata.sys, even though that file *is* there. What is wrong here? It's definitely an XP driver, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is the driver corrupted somehow? How do I fix it?

I won't be able to try again until next Friday, but hopefully I can figure out what was holding it up in the meantime.

c

Edited by cc333
Clarification

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

OK, I've finally made the attempt.

I was able to set the computer to legacy mode in the UEFI setup, which enables BIOS emulation for Windows 7, Vista and XP (XP was explicitly mentioned, so apparently there's a hint of compatibility there), so now it boots!

However, when I do the F6 command and feed it the AMD SATA drivers, it loads normally, and then complains that it can't find amd_sata.sys, even though that file *is* there. What is wrong here? It's definitely an XP driver, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is the driver corrupted somehow? How do I fix it?

I won't be able to try again until next Friday, but hopefully I can figure out what was holding it up in the meantime.

c

try slip streaming with nlite

Will do. Thanks!

Incidentally, AMD themselves provides XP compatible drivers for the 6-series chipset that this machine seems to use, so once I'm past this AHCI driver issue, I should be good to go (and my friend will be happy, as XP was his favorite OS).

EDIT: I'm planning on installing XP 32-bit, but would it be worth my while to use the x64 edition instead? The only thing of note that I can think of is native support for =>4 GB of RAM, but do any unofficial updates exist that would make it on par with standard XP with the POS hack?

c

Edited by cc333
Added questions regarding XP x64 vs. XP x86