Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Best with MSE Definition Updater 1.5
"Reset the antivirus update engine ........... (RAUE)" and then
"To update the virus definition for MSE ......... (1)" execute.

As the older version of MpSigStub.exe is installed with every update with the MSE Definition Updater, the automatic updates are temporarily re-executed by MSE. However, only until the latest version of MpSigStub.exe is installed.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

I performed those steps and it appeared to execute but mpsigstub.exe did not run as long as it usually does and then finished with no special message. I checked the MSE and it still showed "updated 7 days ago". Only upon shut down and a reboot, and then a delay of about 1 minute after restart the icon turned green and the MSE showed up to date.

This happened once or twice in the last several weeks, where a reboot was required to make the update take hold.

12 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Best with MSE Definition Updater 1.5
"Reset the antivirus update engine ........... (RAUE)" and then
"To update the virus definition for MSE ......... (1)" execute.

As the older version of MpSigStub.exe is installed with every update with the MSE Definition Updater, the automatic updates are temporarily re-executed by MSE. However, only until the latest version of MpSigStub.exe is installed.

have tried this, but still get no update availible

it's weird as 1 PC takes ok the other doesn't then the other way around, both PC's have OS

occasionally it works If i totally shut down MSE then do the installer, then it doesn't

and just the odd occasion the auto update works on it's own , (go figure)

I do have the PosReady in the registry

1 hour ago, DrWho3000 said:

I do have the PosReady in the registry

Hi DrWho3000, firstly is installed MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3)? If POSReady updates are installed, it is necessary to have MSI 4.5, because there are security updates that otherwise destroy the existing MSI 3.1! This means that programs such as MSE can no longer be installed correctly. Second, how much memory does the computer have? What version of MSE is used?

Edited by heinoganda

yes, I have reinstalled MSE before. It has been a while since the last reinstall. I think when they broke the MSE with an "update" which basically just told it to shut down, I reinstalled 4.4.304.0. I have to go back in this thread to remember what I did, but I recall there had to be major tweaks to get 4.4 to install with old version and new install file or something like that.

But MSE was working fine until last month when you made updater v1.5. Then it worked again fine until now. I needed the older MpSigStub to use mpam-fe, and I have used either updater 1.5 or mpam-fe unpacked manually since that time.

Also like DrWho, sometimes the update happens with no action from me whatsoever, and I do not have POSready, and I am not signed up for any more XP updates with out of support version.

Unfortunately I can not offer a permanent solution at this point. A final question, how big is the memory of the computer (Due to the size of the definition files, I currently have to provide at least 850 MB in the VM)?

2 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Hi DrWho3000, firstly is installed MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3)? If POSReady updates are installed, it is necessary to have MSI 4.5, because there are security updates that otherwise destroy the existing MSI 3.1! This means that programs such as MSE can no longer be installed correctly. Second, how much memory does the computer have? What version of MSE is used?

MSE Version

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.13701.0
Antivirus definition: 1.241.1209.0
Antispyware definition: 1.241.1209.0

I Have 2GB of Ram

Not sure If (KB942288-v3) is installed

As I said it is tempermental, sometimes the 1.5 installer works ok, then it doesn't saying no updates availinble, then another MSE updates on its own
I modified the registery with the PosReady Dword

12 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

As I said it is tempermental, sometimes the 1.5 installer works ok, then it doesn't saying no updates availinble, then another MSE updates on its own

16 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Otherwise for the POSReady updates I see no problem, which fits your specifications.

So, how do you check your version of the Malware Protection Engine?

Here's how:

1. Open MSE
  2. Near the upper-right corner of the window, click the down-arrow to the right of "Help." A menu will drop down
  3. Click "About" in the menu
  4. In the About dialog, the "Engine version" should be 1.1.13704.0 (or later)

Question: does this comment directly address the worldwide ransomware attack that is happening today in the UK hospitals? They say MS has patched the vulnerability since March, but only in "supported versions".

Otherwise, how can a current XP user protect the PC from this current threat?