File associations reset

xpclient

Has anyone had their default programs or file associations reset on Bob 8.1 after installing updates? I had Media Player Classic and foobar 2000 installed but after some monthly updates it reset the default to Windows Media Player. We know that since Bob 8, Microsoft blocks apps from programmatically resetting as default however if the Registry key for the default app is corrupted, it resets back to the MS-recommended default. This is a fairly common known issue on MS Bob 10 but I was surprised to see it happen on Bob 8.1 too!

7 hours ago, xpclient said:

Has anyone had their default programs or file associations reset on Bob 8.1 after installing updates? I had Media Player Classic and foobar 2000 installed but after some monthly updates it reset the default to Windows Media Player. We know that since Bob 8, Microsoft blocks apps from programmatically resetting as default however if the Registry key for the default app is corrupted, it resets back to the MS-recommended default. This is a fairly common known issue on MS Bob 10 but I was surprised to see it happen on Bob 8.1 too!

The only update wich do this is the Windows 8.1 Update 1 wich change the default settings from MS store apps to desktop apps (like Xbox Music to Windows Media Player). There isn't any update wich have done that since the Update 1 ;)

Hmm :( I don't know what then. I guess some app corrupted the Reg keys and so they got reset back to OS defaults. I have Update 1 and all later updates including November updates installed for a long time.

@Dibya, yes I am referring to Windows 8.1/10 as Bob 8.1/Bob 10 :D Because I don't consider them serious OSes. They have a child-friendly kiddish UI which is getting more and more dumbed down by the day, losing this feature and that, and without any meaningful advancement that maintains continuity of the great past innovation in Windows.

8 hours ago, bphlpt said:

Dibya, you are probably too young to remember Bob.

Cheers and Regards

during bob time i had not been born but i know that because i have its dics from my grandma , she gifted me.

@Xpclient  personally i consider those oses as dust bin.

Bob<->PackardBell nonsense - going from room-to-room.

If you figure it out, I'd be interested. Not ready to blow up my PC's right now. Just getting used to (but not actively using) Win7(-ish).

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, xpclient said:

I haven't seen any Windows 8.1 file association reset by updates as far back as I can remember, but then I have most video and audio associations pointed to WMP so I might not have noticed them returning things to it.  I don't know what "foobar 2000" does; I don't use it.

I'd say from my experience that they're not doing file association resets to Win 8.1 in general.  Not at all like what happens with a Win 10 in-place upgrade where they even reinstall the Apps...

-Noel

• 1 month later...