Active SMART tool window issue

Comos

Hello,

for some year Im using for SMART supervison of my hard drives a tool from Ariolic.Altough they claim that it's designed to run on Win98SE,it's possible to run also on Win95 with some extra dll's.However on Win95OSR2.1, where I run it, I get a weird looking window table for a unknown reason yet.Any idea if this is caused by some wong call/function in the libraries?

If I recall correctly, I had to use MFC42.DLL from Win98SE which is normally missing in Win95OSR2.1 to get it run.

Thanks for advice.

post-230510-0-74536400-1455480821_thumb.

post-230510-0-17936400-1455480835_thumb.

The application may have been built with a hardcoded font that does not exist on your system (such as Tahoma which is only installed with the Office suite AFAIK).

Certain controls may miss some flags or specific messages. Common Controls and other libraries are updated through installing latest compatible Internet Explorer (is it 5.5 SP4?).

Anyway, the ListView is the most complex control of all and the latest 95-compatible library that holds it may not be 100% compatible with the requests of the application.

Yeah, it looks like the controls aren't processing the WM_SETFONT message properly, so you're getting that default Windows 3.x style font, rather than the usual GUI font. I get similar font issues with some of the dialog boxes in Irfanview on Windows 98 for some reason.

It might be possible to fix the font using Resource Hacker if the program uses a dialog box template rather than a standard window, but I wouldn't bother if it's purely an aesthetic issue.

The application may have been built with a hardcoded font that does not exist on your system (such as Tahoma which is only installed with the Office suite AFAIK).

Certain controls may miss some flags or specific messages. Common Controls and other libraries are updated through installing latest compatible Internet Explorer (is it 5.5 SP4?).

Anyway, the ListView is the most complex control of all and the latest 95-compatible library that holds it may not be 100% compatible with the requests of the application.

On my Win95OSR2.1 I have the old IE which came already with the installation,never updated.However those libraries can be updated the manual way or?

Edited by Comos

Some can be updated, others are intertwined with other files and/or registry settings. Can't say which is which. You may try comctl32.dll first, see if v4.71 works (can't remember if v5.80 works in Win95 so don't try that unless you know how to restore the original in DOS mode; it only offers the LVS_EX_LABELTIP style anyway).

According to release notes for v2.41 SCSI on official homepage:

- Added full support for the Large Fonts mode (120 dpi)

- Fixed visual appearance bugs that appear when the Large Fonts option is enabled

This may or may not have something to do with your issue.

Have you tried the other (non-SCSI) version on the same machine, does it exhibit the same behavior as the SCSI version? I see you have the simple 2.42 in first screenshot which displays correctly.

I've just looked into the main executable and both the dialog and the string table are set to Russian. Dialog font is MS Shell Dlg 8pt.

You may try to edit it with ResHacker and set both to LANGUAGE LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL or LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US.

However in my 98SE even with Win95 compatibility set for KernelEx it still displays correctly.

Please note that tampering with the files may void your warranty/license/whatever so only do this with a trial version and if it fixes it do report the issue to the software creator.

Some can be updated, others are intertwined with other files and/or registry settings. Can't say which is which. You may try comctl32.dll first, see if v4.71 works (can't remember if v5.80 works in Win95 so don't try that unless you know how to restore the original in DOS mode; it only offers the LVS_EX_LABELTIP style anyway).

According to release notes for v2.41 SCSI on official homepage:

- Added full support for the Large Fonts mode (120 dpi)

- Fixed visual appearance bugs that appear when the Large Fonts option is enabled

This may or may not have something to do with your issue.

Have you tried the other (non-SCSI) version on the same machine, does it exhibit the same behavior as the SCSI version? I see you have the simple 2.42 in first screenshot which displays correctly.

I've just looked into the main executable and both the dialog and the string table are set to Russian. Dialog font is MS Shell Dlg 8pt.

You may try to edit it with ResHacker and set both to LANGUAGE LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL or LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US.

However in my 98SE even with Win95 compatibility set for KernelEx it still displays correctly.

Please note that tampering with the files may void your warranty/license/whatever so only do this with a trial version and if it fixes it do report the issue to the software creator.

Thanks for the tips.First I will try the recent version, the easiest way, if something will change.