Struggling to make Flash Player work!

pangoomis

I've tried for quite some time now, to run any version of Flash Player that will work on YouTube, and other sites.

I've tried Opera 12.02, and 11.64 (I don't want older version, because they don't have extensions, and I don't want to use other browsers)

I've tried all Flash versions from this site: http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

And nothing. I always setup the KernelEx, the Kext, the ini files, the DirectX correctly...and all I get is absolutely nothing. I've tested not only on YouTube.

The plugin is always correctly recognised by Opera, but it just doesn't work. Sites like this do confirm it's installed.

Do YouTube flash player work for you guys? What version/browser/ini modifications/file addons you use?

Do the graphic card matters? Do I need more than 512MB RAM?

I've tested just recently on a real hardware with a SSE2 able processor, and a GeForce4 MX440, as well on a Virtual PC 2007 VM.

I remember some time ago that I was able to make it work with no problems under Virtual PC, so I don't think it's the graphic card.

It was 98lite fault, Flash Player requires ICM Color Profiles which can be removed under 98lite, who would have thought?

Edited by MrMateczko

Current Flash player (19.0.0.245) works for me in Opera 12.02. I have an SSE3 CPU, a 7950GT 256MB GPU and a bit more than 2GB of RAM enabled. What is your hardware?

Can you play the test animation on the Adobe Flash help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Reading through and trying things from the Flash admin guide might be helpfull: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/flashplayer/pdfs/flash_player_19_0_admin_guide.pdf

:hello: Mixtures of different Player versions (plugin folder, Macromedia Flash folder and Registry) may cause the malfunction. 

A thorough uninstall is required.

Also wrong KernelEX comp. mode settings may cause the malfunction. Note the name of the Flash dll: If the name is (with version number) NPSWF32_19_0_0_245.dll, set the KernelEX comp. mode of the file to Win2000SP4 or (and) set Opera.exe to Win2000SP4.

My settings are:  NPSWF32_19_0_0_245.dll > default [KernelEX is enabled] ; Opera.exe > Win2000SP4 

Many other reasons are possible.  

Edited by schwups

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using Adobe Flash Player 19, you likely have compatibility settings to at least Windows XP SP2, not Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 does not support Flash Player 19, and neither do XP RTM or XP SP1. The final version for those editions was 11.1.102.55.

If i set to XP SP2, Opera 11.64 doesn't work at all.

Last official supported flash for 9x which is 9.0.289 does work properly, but it is too old, obviously. (YouTube player doesn't show buttons)

If i try any newer version, even Flash 10.0, which should work with KernelEx without Kext, and is installed in the same way as Flash 9 (in plugins directory of Opera), I get nothing, as I've said before. I've tested every version on the about page, but only 9.0.289 worked so far.

I've tried masking as Firefox, didn't do anything.

My computer specs are as follows:

Mobo: ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3

CPU: AMD Sempron 64 2500+ 1,4GHz (I can overclock it a little, if that might help)

RAM: 512MB DDR 400MHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR (128-bit)

HDD: Samsung SP0822N 80GB IDE

Edited by MrMateczko

If i set to XP SP2, Opera 11.64 doesn't work at all.

Last official supported flash for 9x which is 9.0.289 does work properly, but it is too old, obviously. (YouTube player doesn't show buttons)

If i try any newer version, even Flash 10.0, which should work with KernelEx without Kext, and is installed in the same way as Flash 9 (in plugins directory of Opera), I get nothing, as I've said before. I've tested every version on the about page, but only 9.0.289 worked so far.

I've tried masking as Firefox, didn't do anything.

My computer specs are as follows:

Mobo: ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3

CPU: AMD Sempron 64 2500+ 1,4GHz (I can overclock it a little, if that might help)

RAM: 512MB DDR 400MHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR (128-bit)

HDD: Samsung SP0822N 80GB IDE

To get the YouTube buttons you need the YouTube spoof, main page is http://toastytech.com/files/95browsing.html and the direct link is http://toastytech.com/files/flash_7_youtube_spoof.zip

I've gotten it working under Windows 95 with no problem, it fools YouTube into thinking you are running Flash Player 8, and the controls show correctly: http://sdfox7.com/win95/files/w95flsh3.jpg

I'm not interested in running older Flash version than 9, I want at least 10 or 11.

Though I've tried your YouTube spoof, it does work, but I can't select anything better than 240p, and the player stays at previous video, when I click a link to another one. There's no resize to big window mode.

I'm running Windows 98 SE.

Edited by MrMateczko

I'm not interested in running older Flash version than 9, I want at least 10 or 11.

Though I've tried your YouTube spoof, it does work, but I can't select anything better than 240p, and the player stays at previous video, when I click a link to another one. There's no resize to big window mode.

I'm running Windows 98 SE.

flash 11 should install and work on 98SE with kernelex installed FIRST. im not sure which exact version it was, it was a flash player exe file that just installs and works after. no other tweaks or manual modifications are necessary, assuming you have all other necessary official updates, etc. i think you just need to set it in a certain compatibility mode. im more curious to get 98SE running with flash 19.0.0.245 that loblo mentioned, which from my understanding, would only need copying of the npswf32 file of that specific flash player into plug in folder of firefox or opera with the file set to run in xp 32 bit mode? 

I believe that Schwups ideas are right.

Considering that Flash 9 works, it sounds me like a Kernelex issue.

Which Kernelex version are you using? Have you already verified the registry key of Kernelex related to NPSWF32.dll?

> I'm running Windows 98 SE.

No, you were not. You were running 98lite which doesn't support KernelEx in all configurations. :(

98lite may be installing older (Win95) versions of some files or completely skipping others (such as IE system updates). Advapi32.dll comes to mind.

Now that it is working, use Dependency Walker (v2.2.6000, File->Save As...Save As Type: Text) or TaskInfo2000 (v2.1, Edit->Copy Panes To Clipboard) to take a snapshot of all the necessary DLL names and version numbers. Those are the files you'll need to try updating in 98lite.

Edited by jumper