Is Microsoft experimenting on your system

jbm

Is microsoft really expirementing on my system?
and whwn will windows 10 not be prerelease software?

gpedit.msc
Administrative templates
Data Collection and preview bulds
Disable prerelease features or settings

"This policy setting determines the level that Microsoft can experiment with the product
to study user preferences or device behavior. A value of 1 permits Microsoft to configure
device settings only. A value of 2 allows Microsoft to conduct full experimentations.

If you disable this policy setting, all experimentations will be turned off.

If you do not configure this policy setting, user can configure the
“Let Microsoft try features on this build” option in Settings."

I can't find the above setting?

so mabe MA isn;t expirementing, yet small things like icons

reappearing on the tastbar after I unpinning them.

Mainly the store and edge icons

I disables it to be safe!

jbm

Edited by jbm

Are you on the insider program? I was but I'm nor now.

Maybe that setting only show if your an insider

So maybe the gprfit setting has no effect if you not an insider.

I should set it to 2 too see what happens

Is microsoft really expirementing on my system?

Yes. They're doing it because you authorized them to do it, on "upgrading" :puke: to 10.

and whwn will windows 10 not be prerelease software?

Never! Ain't the new normal beautiful?   :angel

There was once a thing called "Release". 

You'd use the term "Released" to identify software that was fully system-tested by a large quality assurance organization, and was guaranteed more stable than "Beta" or "Alpha" software, and those two terms in turn defined two levels of integration and system validation testing beyond "Unit Test" software, which itself implies a level of completion beyond "what the engineer is working on at the moment".

Software used to have to achieve "Release" before customers could buy it, because no one in their right mind would choose to use software that wasn't completed, integrated, and well-tested to meet its functional specification.

That was then.

Now we're seeing software at the "Alpha" or at best "Beta" level (though that is stretching it a bit) being delivered to the masses, and those in the Insider program are getting software that represents "what the engineer is working on at the moment".

Microsoft sells this "quick path from the engineer to you" as a feature, as though it's some kind of positive thing.

Don't let them get away with lowering their requirements to deliver something that is actually good.

-Noel

Yep :).

I would add that once upon the time the Alpha and Beta software was given to (and tested on the field by) knowledgeable users (as opposed to the large mass of people), i.e. the feedback was provided based on quality (though with smaller, more manageable quantity) whilst now everything revolves around quantity.

Oligarchy vs. democracy, the one or the other being valid approaches (of course debatable) in politics but hardly so in computing.

jaclaz