Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


WinClient5270

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in Vista

Recommended Posts

On Τρίτη, 4 Απρίλιος 2017 at 5:26 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Thank you for the information, VistaLover! I finally got around to updating the Last versions of software for Windows Vista list to reflect this information, and I added an installation package for Reader DC for Vista containing all of the needed files.

> Thank you for the information, VistaLover!

... You are most welcome :)

> I finally got around to updating the Last versions of software for Windows Vista list to reflect this information

... from your PDF viewers section:

>> Adobe Reader DC version 2015.10.2006.0 (FREE, CS, UNS)

... a small typo there, actually it's 2015.010.20060

> and I added an installation package for Reader DC for Vista containing all of the needed files.

Very much appreciated, no doubt, by Vista users :wub:

Please accept some well-intended remarks:

>> To install, download this file

Your link actually points to a MEGA shared folder; one has to click the "Download as ZIP" button :P Incidentally, MEGA was being mean at me the day you first uploaded this and wouldn't let me fetch anything from inside that folder; it was fixed the next day, though (by that time I was anxiously trying to figure out what's wrong at my end :wacko:) !

>> and follow the instructions

... from your "Instructions.rdf" file (step 1):

>>> run setup.msi

There doesn't exist such a file; as per my original post, one would have to manually execute first the patched AcroRead.msi file, followed by executing manually file AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp (step 2 of your guide), or, possibly, only execute file setup.exe which, if setup.ini is to be trusted, does the same things...

>>> 4. Browse to the "Wrappers" folder, and copy both files to Windows\System32 (AND SysWOW64 if on 64-bit OS)

I am on Vista x86, but according to @smeezekitty's original instructions for his wrappers, Vista users shouldn't mess with system dirs/files; both user33.dll & kernel33.dll can be placed (along with app's modified dlls) inside the app's installation directory, as per your step 3 - this is what I've done myself (all 5 dlls inside Acrobat Reader DC installation folder) and everything's OK!

>> There are some bugs

... Nothing encountered on Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit :P

>> Unfortunately, later versions currently don't work under Vista.

BTW, many thanks for:

>>> CREDITS: -VistaLover of MSFN.org, for finding out the absolute final version of Adobe Reader DC that works in Vista.

... and I hate to bring this up, but, considering Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a closed source software (owned by Adobe), distributing modified parts of it (EXE installer, AcroRead.msi and three DLLs) might not go down well with their legal department... :unsure:

Best regards from Greece :)

Edited by VistaLover
syntax
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

> Thank you for the information, VistaLover!

... You are most welcome :)

> I finally got around to updating the Last versions of software for Windows Vista list to reflect this information

... from your PDF viewers section:

>> Adobe Reader DC version 2015.10.2006.0 (FREE, CS, UNS)

... a small typo there, actually it's 2015.010.20060

> and I added an installation package for Reader DC for Vista containing all of the needed files.

Very much appreciated, no doubt, by Vista users :wub:

Please accept some well-intended remarks:

>> To install, download this file

Your link actually points to a MEGA shared folder; one has to click the "Download as ZIP" button :P Incidentally, MEGA was being mean at me the day you first uploaded this and wouldn't let me fetch anything from inside that folder; it was fixed the next day, though (by that time I was anxiously trying to figure out what's wrong at my end :wacko:) !

>> and follow the instructions

... from your "Instructions.rdf" file (step 1):

>>> run setup.msi

There doesn't exist such a file; as per my original post, one would have to manually execute first the patched AcroRead.msi file, followed by executing manually file AcroRdrDCUpd1501020060.msp (step 2 of your guide), or, possibly, only execute file setup.exe which, if setup.ini is to be trusted, does the same things...

>>> 4. Browse to the "Wrappers" folder, and copy both files to Windows\System32 (AND SysWOW64 if on 64-bit OS)

I am on Vista x86, but according to @smeezekitty's original instructions for his wrappers, Vista users shouldn't mess with system dirs/files; both user33.dll & kernel33.dll can be placed (along with app's modified dlls) inside the app's installation directory, as per your step 3 - this is what I've done myself (all 5 dlls inside Acrobat Reader DC installation folder) and everything's OK!

>> There are some bugs

... Nothing encountered on Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit :P

>> Unfortunately, later versions currently don't work under Vista.

BTW, many thanks for:

>>> CREDITS: -VistaLover of MSFN.org, for finding out the absolute final version of Adobe Reader DC that works in Vista.

... and I hate to bring this up, but, considering Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a closed source software (owned by Adobe), distributing modified parts of it (EXE installer, AcroRead.msi and three DLLs) might not strike well their legal department... :unsure:

Best regards from Greece :)

At the time I made the package and listing, I was very tired so I made some mistakes... Sorry about that.

You can safely copy the wrappers to the System32 location, and nothing should be affected, as I've done so several times myself. However, as you pointed out, it would be simpler to copy all the files at once to a single location, so thanks for the information. 

Unfortunately, according to Adobe's terms of use here, you're not allowed to redistribute or host the software, so I've removed the package from the list. Instead, I'll create a video tutorial on my YouTube channel on how to manually download and install Reader DC under Windows Vista, and will link that video on the list when it's complete. This will cause the process to become much more lengthy compared to using my installation package, but I certainly would rather avoid any legal issues and play it safe. Instead of hosting their software on my MEGA account, I'll just link their FTP server in the video's description, and I'll demonstrate how to manually edit the MSI files, as well as manually hex editing the DLLs to use the wrappers instead of Vista's system DLLs. The only thing I'll host is Smeezekitty's wrappers, which should be fine since they're not part of Reader DC in any way, and I'll be certain to give him credit. :)

Edited by 2008WindowsVista
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...