Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

45 minutes ago, Formfiller said:

Domained PCs getting the forced W10 treatment:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042397/microsoft-windows/admins-beware-domain-attached-pcs-are-sprouting-get-windows-10-ads.html

I want Steve Ballmer back. All is forgiven. Give me metro over scammer behavior any time.

Nadella is straight from the Nigerian scam artists school. He's not even stopping at pestering their business consumers, something MS always held sacrosanct.

Has Nadella written a book or some personal public memos or something like that? I would love to read that to get a glimpse at his persona.

It takes a special kind of as***** personality to pull these things off towards your clients.

I have to admit, this IS even worse than Win8 Metro. I would actually buy a Windows 8 PC over one with Windows 10 on it. At least you still have a fully functional Control Panel and the freedom to pick and choose your updates.

--JorgeA

23 minutes ago, 351837 said:

Thanks for the links! Here's Woody Leonhard's theory on what was going on:

My guess -- it's only a guess -- is that Microsoft had a change of heart on Saturday and stopped forcing Windows 10 down the throat of every Win7/8.1 customer with Automatic Update turned on. I say that because the descriptions of forced upgrades on the Web vary all over the place. Some people say they were never asked for permission (as was the case for me on Friday night). Others say a EULA appeared with no explanation. Still others say they were given a variable amount of time -- 10 minutes, one hour -- to respond, or their PCs would automatically get the Windows 10 payload.

I say it's only a guess because Microsoft doesn't document any of this stuff.

He also offers a screenshot of the Windows 10 downgrade showing up pre-selected in Windows Update:

Win10-upgrade-checked-and-ready-to-run.j

He concludes:

Microsoft warned in early February that it would start dishing out Windows 10 as a recommended update, but nobody signed on for this kind of abuse.

And we still haven't seen the "hell no" switch that Windows chief Terry Myerson promised back in October: "You can specify that you no longer want to receive notifications of the Windows 10 upgrade through the Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 settings pages," he said then. Perhaps Microsoft forgot.

It remains to be seen what the real rules of engagement might be. Microsoft hasn't documented anything, as is its wont. We don't even know if the EULA should appear at the beginning or the end of the installation sequence -- a big consideration for those who don't want to download 3GB of useless data.

--JorgeA

It should be noted the "Microsoft said it would do this" comment doesn't work because 99.99999% of the people who use their product are not reading industry related news, which was where this had shown up. Also, previously, MS said that this would not happen on domain joined PCs, but clearly that wasn't the case either. With such large adoption that the world has on MS products, an announcement relating to this new future of how your OS will update to Windows 10 should not be sent out to industry websites and magazines, or simply posted on social media (which is opt-in to begin with). No they should be putting out to the mass media and having news stories on TV and on radio.

I  can only imagine that all employees were told that they would lose their jobs if they didn't find a way to make 1 billion Windows 10 systems happen.

What are they up to now (even per their own skewed reporting)?  A quarter of that?   I sense from every direction that the remnant goodwill is exhausted and the number is not going to grow much higher.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

The details mitigate the headline somewhat, but still it makes you wonder...

Siri, Why Aren’t People Using Voice-Activated Personal Assistants?

Even as consumers increasingly turn to mobile phones for shopping, communicating and information, only 13% of U.S. mobile phone owners use a voice-controlled personal assistant on their device each day, says the survey from 451 Research, which was taken last June.

Adding together the 13% of survey respondents who said they use such a service daily to the 14% who said they used it weekly and to the 10% who reported using it monthly, that still only comes to little more than 1 in 3 mobile phone owners who say they use a personal digital assistant at least once a month.

This was surprising; I thought that Siri and Cortana and Google Now were supposed to be such hot selling points. If the trend holds, it will remove yet another justification for Microsoft's strategy of foisting Windows 10 on hundreds of millions of its customers. Remember, Win10 is founded on the supposed promise of mobile tech; Cortana features prominently in this model. But if few people actually have any interest in mobile features for Windows, then there is no particular reason for Windows 10 to exist as currently constructed.

And then maybe -- just maybe -- we can get back a usable UI with a sensibly spaced Start Menu and app/window text, and a scroll button and scroll arrows that don't go poof when you stop hovering over them.

--JorgeA

Have you met someone who craves talking to their phone or computer?

Of those who do, do you know one who is particularly successful at it and gets useful things done?

These features needed to work right - amazingly right - before being rolled out.  And there is no excuse for them not to be working.  I was successfully controlling a small R/C car around a room with a microphone plugged into an Apple II in the late 1970s.  Machines are literally a million times more powerful now.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

Have you met someone who craves talking to their phone or computer?

Of those who do, do you know one who is particularly successful at it and gets useful things done?

These features needed to work right - amazingly right - before being rolled out.  And there is no excuse for them not to be working.  I was successfully controlling a small R/C car around a room with a microphone plugged into an Apple II in the late 1970s.  Machines are literally a million times more powerful now.

-Noel

Well, so you can now successfully control a million small R/C cars around a room :w00t: with a microphone plugged in a PC. :whistle:

As a side note, and JFYI ;) :
http://queen-taurus.tumblr.com/post/79645918681

:lol:

jaclaz

M$ response to latest force downgrades to W10

http://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-calls-bs-on-rogue-windows-10-upgrades

And epic comment exchange

- So What? Windows 10 will be the OS. People might as well upgrade, learn it and love it or move to another OS. The plan is to have one OS, not multiple. I don't see why that's hard to understand? If you don't like the plan, move on. Its that simple. Writing these articles will not change or alter Microsoft's plan.

- Windows 7 has several years of extended support and there are many viable reasons why one may need to delay deployment of W10. Hardware conflicts, software conflicts to name just a few. That's why MS gives extended support to help their customers plan for hardware and software upgrades. Why would you give extended support and then turn around and say we change our mind we are going to force this down your throat anyway. Why did I even waste time replying you? The article is justified since MS has crossed the line for those exercising their rights to use extended support. And we still have almost 4 years remaining if you need reminding.

- Now I'm about to waste my time replying to you. The support is extended, which means it will end at some point. Don't be stupid. People will complain no matter what. Either upgrade or move on. A simpleton can get it, why cant you?

- The world will end at some point too, so why don't you do us all a favor and just upgrade to the afterlife right now.

My main PC and laptop mysteriously upgraded themselves to Linux Mint this morning. I'm sure the Mint people will deny they did it deliberately but, in the meantime, I'll enjoy my new stress free computing experience, grab a bag of popcorn and sit back and watch the continuing Windows 10 fiasco.

:lol:

What if you've learned it and just can't find a way to love it?

By the way Woody Leonhard, someone who's well in tune with Windows Updates and writes books and blogs and articles on it had HIS system upgraded without his permission.  It's old news now.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Woody Leonhard's blog has been on a roll lately. Here's another useful post:

Reducing the level of Windows 7 snooping

Opting out of CEIP did nothing to disable the 5 tasks above. On this particular computer, all 5 are currently enabled (for about the next 2 minutes) and have been running on their default schedules. All of them are clearly labeled as being part of the CEIP. Interestingly, the last two contain in the description, “If the user has not consented to participate in Windows CEIP, this task does nothing.” Yet, they are still active and show the last run results as having been completed successfully. What? Screenshot below.

However, bear in mind the last comment, by "John W".

--JorgeA

Also found via a link on Woody's site:

Users seethe as Windows 10 arrives while their backs are turned

[...] "Customers continue to be fully in control of their devices, and can choose to not install the Windows 10 upgrade or remove the upgrade from Windows Update (WU) by changing the WU settings," Microsoft said in an emailed statement.

That's not what some users experienced last week.

"My computer was working great last night [but] this morning it says, 'Microsoft Legal Agreement' with bunch of legal information and WAY at the bottom 'Accept your new Windows 10' or 'Decline,'" wrote a someone identified as scifixtion in a Friday post to Microsoft's support forum. "I hit Decline and it says, 'It will take a few moments to go back to your old Windows software,' [but] then it goes black and go[es] right back to [the] Microsoft legal agreement [and shows] 'Accept windows 10' or 'Decline.' I've hit Decline a dozen times and it won't budge."

Gotta wonder what the rationale is for denying the reality of what's happening out there. Are the folks in Redmond so insecure about their ability to manage an OS that they cannot admit they screwed up, and apologize? How much of their dwindling credibility and goodwill are they willing to sacrifice, to maintain the fiction that Windows users' PCs were not being "upgraded" against their will?

--JorgeA

Why would they apologize?  IMO, as far as the folks in Redmond are concerned things are measured in absolutes.  Try the following on and see if it does not seem to fit their actions:

"If you're not with us, then you're against us."

Another mindset that IMO also helps explain their actions seems to be:

"We know best, and you cannot possibly do anything but screw your computer up.  Therefore anything that fails must be YOUR fault.  Your expectations are wrong - here, let us help you with that."

Screen-Shot-2016-02-29-at-15.00.01.png

Bugs are cool.  And did anyone notice that's a Monarch caterpillar?  With no clothes on?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Woody Leonhard's blog has been on a roll lately. Here's another useful post:

Reducing the level of Windows 7 snooping

However, bear in mind the last comment, by "John W".

Specifically...

...when I disabled the tasks, it broke my application events logs.

I have had the tasks in question Disabled on my Win 7 and 8.1 systems since last September.  I don't see problems in general with events getting into my event logs, though no Windows Defender events show up there.  It's not failing to update, though...

ScreenGrab_SVN_03_18_2016_051740.thumb.p

-Noel

On 18/03/2016 at 2:02 PM, TELVM said:

An aggrieved user venting out :-) :

Epic rant!!! :thumbup

And totally justified...

Interesting analogy he comes up with at 2:32:

You've taken Windows 7 and made what used to be a f@#$ing joy to use and you've turned it into like a first f@#$ing date -- the first time I turn my back, you sons of b*tches are gonna drop a Windows 10 roofie in my drink!

And then, a little later:

Windows 10 is not virus-free -- Windows 10 is a virus!!

Did you happen to catch the last thing he said?  :)

--JorgeA