Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

It would make 8.1 more usable, no question about it.

Not more usable than with Classic Shell, though.  Anyone struggling with Windows 8.x's lack of Start Menu at this point is just ignorant if they've been unable to find one of the many good start menu replacements out there, some of which are of infinite value.

-Noel

Mum's the word...

Microsoft refuses to answer questions about forced Windows 10 downloads

But there was one question that popped up again and again -- just what the hell was Microsoft thinking? I decided to try to find out but found that the company was somewhat cagey with what it wanted to say on the matter. This is not on. People are more than a little annoyed, and they are demanding answers. They deserve them.

--JorgeA

Thing is, anyone savvy about software engineering could easily answer the question and espouse all the positives, while avoiding the obvious nefarious motives (such as drop-loading ever more intrusive changes into your computer, sight-unseen)...

• A system with all the updates is designed and tested to all work together.  A system that's been partially updated has components not developed together and possibly never tested to work together.  Thus your Windows system will be more reliable.  Your system in its entirety will be exactly what the engineers have worked with on their own desks, not mix and match.

• Cumulative updates, in light of the new strategy, ensure that any problems encountered in the update process that leave a system in a non-updated state have a better chance of being resolved during the next update cycle.  They also facilitate a delaying process whereby conservative users will not be presented with the updates that inadvertently break things, as reported by the masses.

• Considering that users don't have the Windows source code, they cannot fully vet updates nor execute proper judgment about which updates to hide, and we're of course not going to expose the source code.  Just as you've trusted us to deliver a working operating system to you, you'll have to trust us to keep it working better and better.

• Considering that Microsoft will no longer be providing detailed information about what updates do (and they could justify this as a security risk), it's impossible for people to make good decisions about what to allow and what to hide. 

-Noel

Why won't Microsoft publish Windows 10 update release notes?

<RANT>

I know that this is old news, but after more time to think about it, you really have to ask yourself: WHAT WAS MICROSOFT THINKING? They are MAKING the release notes, just choosing not to release them. Making mandatory updates that are cumulative, and not telling your userbase what they do? Not even publishing bug fixes? WHAT CAN BE A POSSIBLE BENEFIT OF THIS? (we all know it's to sneak spyware and adware into the OS, but at least tell us what else you're throwing in) This is possibly the single dumbest thing you can do in enterprise software. The horror of coming into work one day and having a completely different desktop UI, all because MS didn't tell IT departments what the new update will do. (I know enterprise versions of Windows play by different rules, but what about 10 Professional?) I never download or update software (or "Apps") without checking the changelog, even for Home use, and I have caught a few "downgrades" this way. (for example, a YouTube client I used on my phone removed download support, I prevented this by not updating) MS keeps thinking that Windows is a web browser, and it's not. I can (kind of) understand web browsers auto-updating, but I turn it off anyway. An operating system is much more complex, and should not even think of updating (or upgrading) this way.

</RANT>

Edited by rn10950

^^ rotflmao.gif

For those with limited time (or patience), the key portion starts at 5:30. If you're really pressed for time and don't care about the background, start at 10:30.

Now here's the scary part of Microsoft's plans:

Microsoft has even revealed a prototype car that integrated Cortana right into the windshield. Before Microsoft unveils a Cortana-powered car, let's hope the assistant will have learned a few more tricks.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Maybe bit OT, but :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even M$ doesn't want Windows. :crazy:

Microsoft has developed its own Linux. Repeat. Microsoft has developed its own Linux

:o

The final line of that post sums it up very well:

Satya Nadella's Microsoft is a very different animal, unafraid to use any technology if it gets the job done. But Microsoft building a Linux? Wow. Just wow.

@MagicAndre reported here on MSFN a couple of years ago that networking on Windows 8.x was a nightmare compared to earlier versions of Windows. I guess that they haven't fixed it...

--JorgeA

Following up on the post upthread about Bing usage in the wake of Windows 10:

Windows 10 is not Bing's savior

Microsoft has most likely expected users to adapt to Windows 10 rather than use the new operating system as they have leveraged previous versions. Meaning, the software giant was expecting users to embrace Microsoft Edge, while keeping Bing as the default search provider, use Cortana as their (digital) personal assistant, and make heavy use of Bing-powered apps such as News.

The comScore figures, however, would suggest that users are not as excited, if you will, to use those extras as Microsoft has hoped they would be.

Report from the ivory tower at Redmond: "Dang, the peasants out there just won't play along!"

--JorgeA

Why won't Microsoft publish Windows 10 update release notes?

<RANT>

I know that this is old news, but after more time to think about it, you really have to ask yourself: WHAT WAS MICROSOFT THINKING? They are MAKING the release notes, just choosing not to release them. Making mandatory updates that are cumulative, and not telling your userbase what they do? Not even publishing bug fixes? WHAT CAN BE A POSSIBLE BENEFIT OF THIS? (we all know it's to sneak spyware and adware into the OS, but at least tell us what else you're throwing in) This is possibly the single dumbest thing you can do in enterprise software. The horror of coming into work one day and having a completely different desktop UI, all because MS didn't tell IT departments what the new update will do. (I know enterprise versions of Windows play by different rules, but what about 10 Professional?) I never download or update software (or "Apps") without checking the changelog, even for Home use, and I have caught a few "downgrades" this way. (for example, a YouTube client I used on my phone removed download support, I prevented this by not updating) MS keeps thinking that Windows is a web browser, and it's not. I can (kind of) understand web browsers auto-updating, but I turn it off anyway. An operating system is much more complex, and should not even think of updating (or upgrading) this way.

</RANT>

:thumbup  :thumbup

Yeah, enough already with this paternalistic "we know what's best for you and you don't need to know what's going on" B.S.

There's a couple of applications where I, too, stay with a previous version and decline all invitations to "up"grade to the latest and greatest because important functionality was removed. I can't imagine living in a cyberworld where everything is done for me and I have no control over my own computing environment.

--JorgeA

WHAT CAN BE A POSSIBLE BENEFIT OF THIS?

• If they never promise anything, they can't be accused of breaking promises, eh?
  • If they don't claim to fix something, they don't have to admit things were broken.
  • Think of the money saved by being able to hire illiterate people to write software.

Now, for the grand finale:

• They don't believe skimping on documentation will affect the rate of their failure.

-Noel

OT, but not much:

http://oss4gov.org/unapology

jaclaz

The guy's idea:

I, unapologetically, believe that software literacy is on the same order of importance as literacy itself. To be able to command a CPU like a pen and paper will be a fundamental skill for the next generation.

Not to sound snarky, but after seeing the following line...

So I will try and change a small corner of the world for the better - I will marshall my arguments - open source is more economically efficient, a better use of taxpayers money, meets economies of scale, improves innovation, derisks change, removes us from the upgrade procurement cycle.

...where he misspelled "marshal;" forgot the apostrophe in "taxpayers' money;" left out the hyphen in "de-risks;" and omitted the "and" before the final item on his list of items ("and removes us from the upgrade procurement cycle"), I would say that he demonstrates that we still need much more desperately to focus on actual literacy than on "software literacy."

--JorgeA