Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

MS slowly killing off the Lumias:

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/09/04/streamlining-the-photo-experience-in-windows/

Lots of p***ed off comments from metrotards.

A good question to ask the metrotards might be the following:

Given that Microsoft is finally admitting the obvious failure of its mobile interface, what's the point anymore of adding mobile elements to Windows? Did Apple or Google get their employees secretly planted into top positions at Microsoft in order to ruin the company?

--JorgeA

A privacy-minded anti-malware vendor weighs in on Win10:

The truth about Windows 10 spying on almost everything you do

Among other things, they give this tip that I wasn't aware of (or had forgotten about):

Unfortunately, just moving the toggle isn’t enough to keep ad networks from reaching your personal data. You will also have to go to this Microsoft site and disable personalized ads several times over.

--JorgeA

Among other things, they give this tip that I wasn't aware of (or had forgotten about):

Yes, but this has no practical effects, the issues are with the gathering of data not really to the ads that are served as a result of the computing of those data.

The only effect being if you turn everything off will be that the ads served by MS and partners will be "more random" or "less targeted" to you.

jaclaz

Imagine the difference in your legal standing, though, if you were to leave all those settings untouched and subsequently be, for example, part of a class seeking compensation for damages due to stolen data.  It could be said that clearly you didn't care enough about your privacy if you didn't bother to toggle even a few settings, and that the other class members who were clearly serious about privacy should be compensated more.

On the other hand, I have actually read comments from some folks who quite like that their computer offers them things to buy that they're actually interested in, because they often DO click through and buy the stuff from pop-up ads.  Leave it to some to ruin the world for everyone.

By the way, something that quietly became reality with the release and that doesn't get much discussion any more is that it IS possible to use a local account viably, long-term.  Based on my experience everything that's available with a local account - and not everything is, thankfully - continues to work, and Windows does remain activated and functional.  Begrudgingly Microsoft HAD to support it.

-Noel

P.S., I note that there is VERY little discussion of adding layers of protection over and above the provided settings. 

Nothing says every privacy-invading operation will respond to a "setting" (e.g., registry value) that can be tweaked.  In fact, observably, verifiably they do not.  For example, even if you use a local account Windows Explorer tries to make contact with a BingBot address whenever you log on.  Talk about someone knowing precisely where you are and when...

Edited by NoelC

I don't know, I don't see any legal advantages in choosing to have not served "dedicated" ads (as opposed to "generic" ads.

This is a simple "preference", as I mentioned elsewhere what I normally do is each monday to search a few times for "something" (as an example "drone" or "drones") in Google  and then I am served all week long with nice ads for drones (something that I really have no real interest in/that I have no real plan to buy in a foreseeable future),

To this you add that I never (if not by mistake) ever clicked on an ad in my life and you have a clear view on how (at least for me personally) the approach is completely flawed.

BUT my personal behaviour is nothing but a (little) demostration how the model is essentially chaff, see:

https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2015/08/12/separating-advertisings-wheat-and-chaff/

Calling this stuff bul***** doesn’t cover it. It’s delusional. Disconnected from reality. Psychotic.

Reality is the marketplace. It’s you and me. 

jaclaz

Yesterday was patchday. Microsoft has yet again released new spyware for Windows 7.

Suspicious are KB3075249, KB3080149 and KB3083324 (telemetry, new Windows Update client)

They were “optional” last month but got elevated to important.

I installed the Win 10 updates on my test VM (big deal).

I read all the Win 7 update descriptions (not difficult, all one-liners with essentially no words left after the boilerplate), and decided to hold off updating.

I started reading the Win 8.1 update descriptions and just got too tired, so put that off as well.  The text between the lines is just so damned light.

Time was this stuff seemed more interesting somehow.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I feel Microsoft's in a deep coma and someone, for some reason, is keeping them on life support. My opinion is that Microsoft's time on Earth has ended and they should be left to go into the light.

IMHO it's more like Microsoft is stumbling forward relentlessly, like a zombie intent on eating your privacy. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

I really don't think they're in control (anymore). Higher quarters might be demanding things and M$ are trying hard to comply in order to survive.

Of course I may also be dead wrong. But who can prove either version…? And… does it really matter, at the end of the day, for the regular user?

Paul goes on a rant against the Windows Store and the apps found there:

And the Biggest Problem with Windows 10 Is …

Store, like many universal apps, is unreliable. You run the app and—poof!—it just disappears. You download an app—or try to—and—poof!—it disappears. Or the app doesn’t download. You update apps and—well. You get the idea. If you use Store, oh, you get the idea. It doesn’t work.

Universal apps have indeed improved since Windows 8.x, when they were called Metro apps, modern apps, Windows Store apps and all kinds of other terrible names. I still call them names, in fact, but that’s mostly because they just don’t work. They disappear, crashing silently, and unlike smarter Win32 apps, don’t have the brains to just re-rerun when they fail. Indeed, we would never accept this level of unreliability in Win32 apps. If Photoshop, Chrome or iTunes crashed this much, no one would ever use them. Or Windows, for that matter. See the problem?

This ongoing weakness could eventually cripple Microsoft's efforts to convert Windows into a single, versatile platform:

With Windows 10, Microsoft is seeking to establish the universal app platform as the successor for Win32 (and other app platforms) on PCs, tablets, phones and other devices, and while I do think it’s well on its way, it’s also not there yet. The Store is kind of a chicken and egg issue: there are no apps there, so developers and users stay away. And vice versa. But with the apps, this is all Microsoft’s faults: a core part of the universal app promise is that these apps are trustworthy, part of which is being reliable. And today, they are not reliable. Thus, they are not trustworthy. Or usable.

They've been at it for some four years now. How many more times do they need to bash their heads against the wall before they get the message?

--JorgeA

Yeah, it's like they've been hypnotized into memorizing some Official Party Line and then parroting it ceaselessly.

BTW, kudos to @NoelC who's joined in the discussion there.

--JorgeA

Anyone find this the slightest bit hypocritical?

Why you should care about Microsoft's latest legal battle

Should the U.S. government have the right to search emails stored abroad?

They say the Internet knows no borders. Well, that may soon change.

On Wednesday morning, a federal appeals court is set to hear arguments over the validity of a certain U.S. search warrant involving electronic records. At issue: Whether the United States government is entitled to compel tech companies based in the U.S. to hand over their customers’ emails when they’re stored on servers in data centers around the world.

Edited by rn10950