Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

in addition to MS completely screwing up their OS, they've also done a pretty good job of screwing up Office

They don't want just one department to get all the glory, so that's why they're making the Windows theme look like Office 2013.  It's like in the film "Demolition Man" - all restaurants are Taco Bell.

Good post, by the way.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Heh heh heh, is anyone truly dead any more?  It is the day and age of zombies, sparkles.  This one even wants a cell phone with Sprint service.

sprint-unlimited-my-way-zombie-large-3.j

He seems like just the kind of guy who would like icons that look like:

icons-windows-10-10130.jpg

-Noel

Think of the response they're eliciting, though...  As compared to the icons of the past, which actually had perspective, these orthographically projected icons are ugly.

But think about them as compared to the most recent set.  The press is now hailing them as "Much better!".  So what's the last thing the ADHD public hears? 

"Much better!"

Same thing as "feels better when it stops hurting so bad".  Dish out serious pain, and people will react positively when it is dialed back a little bit.

I will be interested in, on September 1, how many people choose to roll back their OS to Win 7 after suffering through the "free upgrade".  I think Microsoft has underestimated the awareness of the public.

-Noel

Think of the response they're eliciting, though...  As compared to the icons of the past, which actually had perspective, these orthographically projected icons are ugly.

But think about them as compared to the most recent set.  The press is now hailing them as "Much better!".  So what's the last thing the ADHD public hears? 

"Much better!"

Same thing as "feels better when it stops hurting so bad".  Dish out serious pain, and people will react positively when it is dialed back a little bit.

I will be interested in, on September 1, how many people choose to roll back their OS to Win 7 after suffering through the "free upgrade".  I think Microsoft has underestimated the awareness of the public.

-Noel

I typically avoid posting on forums due to some srsly bad past experiences, but I *thought* the Ars site was relatively safe. Since so many commenters were bashing MS's "graphic design / art department" I thought I'd share that most likely the work is being done not by graphic designers/artists but by programmers who know Photoshop -- and let me just say that I don't mean to offend anyone who might be a programmer who uses psd for their work. I'm just saying that the field of "design" has gone a bit haywire.  Well I must have hit a nerve because I have an "attitude" problem and "the problem is you."  Now, c'mon, the very title of the article says these icons are "ugly." So...they were ugly until I commented and now they're not? Why aren't they bashing the author for "assuming everyone thinks like you?" I don't get it.

Edited by sparkles

Fact #1:

They are ugly. :yes:

Hypothesis #1 (sparkles):

They are ugly because they were designed NOT by a designer but by a programmer that can use Photoshop.

Hypothesis #2 (jaclaz):

They are ugly because the people that make decisions at MS (that have been submitted several alternative designs, some created by designers, some created by programmers) have poor taste (or don't care or both) and chose poorly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097576/quotes?item=qt0357928

jaclaz

Just so it's clear, and because I seem to be misinterpreted more often than not around here lately, I am in agreement:  The icons ARE ugly.  Just not quite as ugly as in 10122.  Sparkles, I hope you didn't take my response the wrong way.

Jaclaz, you may have missed Hypothsis #3 (noel):

They are ugly because Microsoft wants them to be.  They seriously want Windows 10 to start out bad. 

It has to do with a company trying to survive wild success (see the Digital Equipment Corporation story as an example).

In that bit you quoted, sparkles, my point is that Microsoft intentionally made them ugly^2 (ugly squared) so that they could get away with making them singularly ugly and have people actually praise them.  Yes, there really are people who get paid for thinking like that.

Isn't it clear to everyone yet?  I'm sorry for spouting "negativity", but I've been saying it all along:  Microsoft is clearly trying its hardest (through shrewd Marketing moves and a dash of good ol' fashioned incompetence) to make Windows 10 start out bad so they can roll out update after update that improves it in obvious fashion (and without doing very much work).  Then will they be a smashing success, and survive for decades more.

Come September 1st, hundreds of millions of Windows 7 users (the same folks who wouldn't adopt Win 8) will have their very first look at Win 10 after the free "upgrade".  What are the possible outcomes?

1.  A majority will realize they've been duped and immediately try to roll back to Windows 7... If most of them succeed Microsoft will plug on, spinning the adoption numbers as if nothing bad had happened, and continue their tactics of coercion.  

-or-

2.  A majority of Windows 7 users will be too stupid to notice they're duped or too lazy to attempt a roll-back - and Microsoft wins big.

If the mass roll-back doesn't or can't succeed, well...  Get out the popcorn.  That will be interesting.

Note that nowhere in the above is failure, since everyone will still be running Windows, no matter what.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Recently, I have actually been thinking that, come September, opening a side-business in my town for removing the Windows 10 "upgrade" from people's PCs. $50 a pop, it may be profitable...

All right, we've learned what one of those mystery Windows Updates does:

Microsoft wants you to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

It makes a window pop up on people's screens, inviting them to "reserve" a copy of Win10. To judge from reports down in the comments section, it creates a large and persistent icon in the system tray:

So now that I've reserved it, how do I get this d*mn icon out of my tray?

Haha. Me too. The icon is even bigger than my Start button (small icon).

Haha right. You can hide it but it will reappear upon login. Have to bear it with for 3 months or uninstall the update.

The tray icon is especially annoying for me as I will not be upgrading to Windows 10. There isn't even an option to decline reservation either.

BTW, is there any way to dismiss this upgrade icon? I find this promotion method to be quite close to SPAM.

--JorgeA

Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29

Well, it looks like we have a release date

There are some very interesting pieces of data in that article:

Today, I’m excited to share the availability date for Windows 10. In fact, I thought I’d let Cortana, the world’s most personal digital assistant, share the news. You can ask Cortana for the answer! You can ask Cortana for the answer, or if you don’t have a Windows phone or a PC running the Windows 10 Insider Preview handy – you can hear it for yourself here:

Through the feedback and testing of over four million Windows Insiders, we’ve made great progress on Windows 10 and we’re nearly ready to deliver this free upgrade to all of our Windows customers*.

Do Great Things with Windows 10

We designed Windows 10 to create a new generation of Windows for the 1.5 billion people using Windows today in 190 countries around the world.

If you divide 4.000.000 by 1.500.000.000 you obtain 0,0026666666666666666666666666666667.

The raw numbers are impressive :w00t: the percentage not so much :no:.

If you consider how (likely) the very limited user base that took part to the insider program is also not qualified for *anything* (and anyway  all comments/reports/bugs have been basically ignored when not perfectly aligned to the pre-made agenda or "vision" for the new os :whistle:), and that the participants have not been selected as a "random sample" of population, it is easy to see how failed are both the "democratic" and the "statistical" approach.

THe good news is that now we have, from the mouth of the wolf some valid numbers.

A minor flaw in the update system affecting only 0.1% of users means more than 1 million people with botched systems. :ph34r:

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz