Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I miss the gold old days when Windows asked for input during the installation process and had a progress bar with the current file operation next to it. Now we get a progress bar with vague messages to go off of!

Installing Windows 10 is like getting married.

Well, no. :no:

It seems like getting married with the "wrong" partner, a not so slight distinction.

As a side note, and just out of curiosity, is the "progress bar" (or "whatever") characterized by the usual approximated accuracy  :whistle: or at least it provides a fair enough estimate?

Courtesy XKCD:

https://xkcd.com/612/

estimation.png

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It actually makes me depressed.

The stuff Windows 10 does would have been the domain of conspiracy cracks a few years ago and now MS is publically boasting about its keylogging in the open like its the most natural thing ever that the OS sends your passwords, passphrases, e-mail contents and your whole browser track to the mothership.

This makes me sick to the core. In all these big brother dystopias like 1984 etc. the people put up with it because they usually live under a brutal dictatorship and are under constant threat of being executed, but in reality, you don't need all that force: Directx 12 and Candy Crush is apparently all it takes.

Formfiller, don't think about it too hard.  It's depressing but the world has a way of dropping a hammer on the heads of tyrants.

Just keep using the old, reliable OS you already have, and make a sober judgment about when to stop accepting Windows Updates for it.

-Noel

Should we all be as p*ssed as Mozilla about Edge taking over in Windows 10?

First, a background excerpt from a letter by Mozilla's CEO to Satya Nadella, and then Mark Wilson's excellent point, which I was going to make until I saw he'd already done it:

"We appreciate that it's still technically possible to preserve people's previous settings and defaults, but the design of the whole upgrade experience and the default settings APIs have been changed to make this less obvious and more difficult."

This is something of a theme that runs through Windows 10. Just as it is possible to opt out of the features of the operating system that invade privacy, it is not immediately obvious how to go about it. Does this mean that a lot of people will stick with using Microsoft Edge simply because they don't know how to change the default browser? Only time will tell, but it certainly feels as though we're treading familiar ground here. Microsoft is essential forcing users' hands, and that not something that tends to go down particularly well.

The same thing that applies to Edge and the privacy settings -- that it's possible to opt out of them, but far from self-evident how to do it -- can be said about creating and signing into a Microsoft Account in order to use Windows 10. It is indeed a theme running through this OS.

--JorgeA

this OS is gestapo OS

half s*** you can't disable

and then online every "famous" IT article or blog glorifies this POS

without mentioning how much privacy loss is there

don't forget that updates can't be disabled, so whatever they want to stick it in you they will

Edited by vinifera

Wife happened to visit a telco website today and came across the following notice:

post-287775-0-89513900-1438473741_thumb.

An initial quick read had her focusing on the parts about something hiding Internet Explorer and removing bookmarks, so she thought there was a massive malware attack going around the Internet and called me over to look.

I said, "Well, technically it's not malware, but..."

--JorgeA

Wife happened to visit a telco website today and came across the following notice:

attachicon.gifVerizon Win10.jpg

An initial quick read had her focusing on the parts about something hiding Internet Explorer and removing bookmarks, so she thought there was a massive malware attack going around the Internet and called me over to look.

I said, "Well, technically it's not malware, but..."

--JorgeA

It is malware. You are getting tricked, under the guise of an OS upgrade, into installing a package full of keyloggers, spyware and password sniffers. It even behaves in the open like malware, as seen in your screenshot.

An unpatched Windows XP bogged down with IE toolbars had less malware in it than W10.