Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

That's a bunch of bul*****. I get this update and I haven't installed anything Windows 10 related on this W7 machine. I have downloaded the technical preview though to run it in a VM. But WU cannot know about this, since you don't sign up with your Microsoft account into W7.

You can't imagine that IE is in collusion with Windows Update to get your Windows 7 obliterated once and for all?

This would be even for NuMicrosoft too crazy.

I've deactivated all the download-checks and purge always all the cookies. For this to work IE phones home every ISO I download from the MS page and connects it with WU.

Theoretically possible, but they must be REALLY f***ed up about Windows 10 to go THIS crazy far (wouldn't it be criminal when exposed?) I think they are still at the deep-end though: My suspicion is that they started to distribute this "update" to just everyone. See TELVM.

That's crazy, too.

Edited by Formfiller

That's a bunch of bul*****. I get this update and I haven't installed anything Windows 10 related on this W7 machine. I have downloaded the technical preview though to run it in a VM. But WU cannot know about this, since you don't sign up with your Microsoft account into W7.

No, you are simply not "modern" enough, that was - most probably - the undeclared policy in October 2014 but things evolve and change (though not always for the better :whistle:) evidently the good MS guys have recently amended it to a chaniging it to a new undeclared policy, extending the *ahem* suggestion for this update, intended to "resolve issues in Windows":

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46434

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

to everyone.

On one hand it is to be appreciated how democratic is this choice, now everyone running 7 or stupid 8/8.1 can be part of the change, not only those in the elite that enrolled in the preview program....  :lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

(wouldn't it be criminal when exposed?)

I've been thinking that myself - a lot.  But the evidence is there.  We'll see how this plays out.

It's possible the Justice Department has less leverage since it's a "free update"...  Those good guys at Microsoft trying to make everyone's computing life better for free?  What could possibly be wrong about that?

-Noel

Should we be compiling a complete list of "predatory updates related to Windows 10"?

Here are the ones I know about so far:

1.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB3035583, "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"

2.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB2976978, "Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8"

3.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB3044374, "Update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 to a later version of Windows"

4.  (Seen by others in Win 7) KB2990214, "Windows 10 Technical Preview"

Can you name any others?

Assuming one wants to leave alone an existing installation (be it Win 7 or 8.1), is the best strategy just to hide ALL of these?

-Noel

Assuming one wants to leave alone an existing installation (be it Win 7 or 8.1), is the best strategy just to hide ALL of these?

-Noel

Guess so.

Man, imagine the fun one will have in Windows 10, where you can't deactivate any updates so far!

It occurs to me "improvements" to Windows Update in earlier Windows versions could invoke that kind of behavior.  I don't think there's a legal barrier to Microsoft drop-loading their "new and improved" features on the older systems.  Look what they did with Internet Explorer 11, for example.  It doesn't conform to the Windows 7 theme, yet there it is.

Seems to me it's only a matter of time before they release an update that does something COMPLETELY unexpected, even after reading all the details of the KB article.  Kind of like how the US government tacks unrelated things into bills under consideration by lawmakers.  It's not like it's documented on the Windows 7 or 8 boxes exactly how Windows Update works.

-Noel

WZOR posted some pictures of Build 10056:

213840_original.jpg

http://wzor.net/37418.html

Still nothing "impressive" shown, only depressing.

Have you noticed how they're calling these various "new build" tracks by names such as "awesome" and "impressive"?

Gotta wonder if they really believe they're coming up with awesome and impressive achievements, or if it's a case of trying to convince themselves by the power of labeling.

--JorgeA

The use of 'Awesome and Impressive' is just more of  Microsoft's subliminal message crap to us, thinking that eventually we will all come around and think how 'Wonderful and Excellent' this latest Windows 10 O.S. build has become and how did we ever survive without it til now.

~DP  :w00t:

Microsoft is crazy - like a fox.  A majority of the, er, thought-challenged public just absorb whatever the media tells them and parrots it.  Even an alarming number of high IQ people have become fanboys.

Common sense isn't.

-Noel