We can hide updates

netbookdelgob

Did you run the aforementioned KB3073930 update hiding tool?  Did it show the driver as available for installation?  If so, what happened when you hid that update?

-Noel

Yes I did, but the driver seems to be on the system already, cuse it did not show up i the tool...and when looking into wu it say: computor must restart bla bla...

btw I thicked one program update and clicked ok(I think) then a dialogebox appered saying "....some adjustments were made an NOW those updates should be good tho install.." clicked OK and then next dialogebox say "put in the servicenummer given by (ms)techniker in field aboue...."

Strange for two reasons; I havent had any contact with anyone. 2-  The updates I thicked was not anything I had any problems with. (There were no way to close that box btw) Had to restart and then no trace of the insedent, at all...

Edited by mikedigitize

Did you run the aforementioned KB3073930 update hiding tool?  Did it show the driver as available for installation?  If so, what happened when you hid that update?

-Noel

Yes I did, but the driver seems to be on the system already, cuse it did not show up i the tool...and when looking into wu it say: computor must restart bla bla...

btw I thicked one program update and clicked ok(I think) then a dialogebox appered saying "....some adjustments were made an NOW those updates should be good tho install.." clicked OK and then next dialogebox say "put in the servicenummer given by (ms)techniker in field aboue...."

Strange for two reasons; I havent had any contact with anyone. 2-  The updates I thicked was not anything I had any problems with. (There were no way to close that box btw) Had to restart and then no trace of the insedent, at all...

Ok Noel, I did't use the tool the right way. I did't untick the box behinde the link advanced:

s1biX5I.png

Now it seems to work....at last!

I can‘t stand the newly presented update system. Today I got a notification ‘You need some updates’, I was like “No, I don‘t”. Then I launched troubleshooter to check what updates Windows want me to install. Using it, I hid Microsoft Silverlight and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I was hoping that it‘s all done and that I can finally update my PC but after I came to updates section in Settings app I saw that the second hidden update was still on the list! I restarted my PC, then using CMD I typed “wuauclt /updatenow” and hit “Enter” but after coming back to Settings app I saw that that update was still on the list! I still had a morsel of hope that it‘s shown but won‘t be actually installed but of course that was only what I could dream of. Soon after updates were downloaded I saw that my CPU usage has increased by 20 percent. What is more, my PC became so laggy that I could barely turn on Chrome and just mostly use software that would be low on resource usage. Well, I hope now that that useless tool won‘t run automatically.

I think the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" normally only runs once.

There are some Windows Defender updates this time around, though.  It's possible it's doing a scan as a result of having received the new Defender software.

That being said, I just received all the updates, rebooted, and don't see anything out of the ordinary, CPU usage-wise.

-Noel

Nope, I‘m not using Windows Defender.

Well, after restart I could use my PC again. I hope that this won‘t repeat until next update delivery. Thinking of this, it‘d be great if there wouldn‘t be such stubborn updates in the future but probably it would be hard to avoid them.

I can‘t stand the newly presented update system. Today I got a notification ‘You need some updates’, I was like “No, I don‘t”.

LOL

But really, how patronizing of Microsoft to presume that my computer "needs" any updates. If a salesman at a shoe store comes up to me and says anything like that to me ("you need new shoes"), I give him the one-finger salute and walk out. If my painter says something like that about my house, I'll say "thank you, let me think about it." But if he starts painting regardless of my wishes, I'll tell him to stop and call the cops if he doesn't.

--JorgeA

If my painter says something like that about my house, I'll say "thank you, let me think about it." But if he starts painting regardless of my wishes, I'll tell him to stop and call the cops if he doesn't.

The point is whether the cops will come to your house and handcuff the painter or if they will handcuff you because somewhere in the papers (the ones you did not read at the time you bought your home) there is written how there is mandatory repainting of your house in a colour chosen by the municipality (this year the chosen one is shocking pink ;)).

jaclaz 

If my painter says something like that about my house, I'll say "thank you, let me think about it." But if he starts painting regardless of my wishes, I'll tell him to stop and call the cops if he doesn't.

The point is whether the cops will come to your house and handcuff the painter or if they will handcuff you because somewhere in the papers (the ones you did not read at the time you bought your home) there is written how there is mandatory repainting of your house in a colour chosen by the municipality (this year the chosen one is shocking pink ;)).

jaclaz 

:lol:  :angry:

--JorgeA

There's more truth than funny in jaclaz's comment.

-Noel

It‘s true if you mean security updates. I can‘t agree with you if you have in mind everything that Microsoft ships to us though. Microsoft Silverlight, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and similar stuff that you never use, especially when you‘re using different antivirus program and firewall instead of Windows Defender, are just simply useless so therefore there shall not be pushing to install everything.

No, I was meaning that the power of a business agreement is stronger than even the constitution of the United States, and that organizations such as condo associations or homeowners associations actually CAN dictate what you can and can't do and can even foreclose and take your home if you don't comply.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, but a bit worrisome...

That one seems serious, though possibly overkill...  For example, it disables the Internet Time Service.  Perhaps its intent is to disable all spontaneous online activity.  Like I said, possibly overkill.

Frankly it looks a bit like a retroactive divorce from Microsoft.  Not that such a thing isn't warranted, but it seems pretty severe.

But thanks for the link.  I think I'll look through the (quite large) list of changes it makes in detail.

Edit:  I'm trying it on a Win 10 build 10240 virtual machine whose configuration I can easily restore.

Since it's designed for multiple operating systems, a fairly large part of it completes with "not applicable" errors, and in my case since I've already been implementing privacy measures a fair number of steps reported "it was already done", but I am happy to report that it IS still possible to complete a Windows Update check after running it.

Edit 2:  Even after application of that draconian script my (non-standard) firewall setup just blocked taskhostw (running who knows what) from contacting Microsoft on a variety of addresses, as you can see here:

BlockedAfterScript.png

Those addresses correspond to:

178.255.83.1 - crt.comodoca.com, Comodo (CCANET Limited), London, England

178.255.83.2 - crt.comodoca.com, Comodo (CCANET Limited), London, England

23.14.84.115 - Acamai Technologies, Cambridge, Massachusetts

23.14.84.154 - Acamai Technologies, Cambridge, Massachusetts

23.4.37.163 - NTT America (Acamai Technologies), Cambridge, Massachusetts

23.4.43.27 - NTT America (Acamai Technologies), Cambridge, Massachusetts

Edit 3:  One more address seen contacted by svchost with NOTHING else running, and the system configured as best I can to avoid automatic update checks:

157.55.240.220 - Microsoft Azure, Redmond, Washington

Edit 4:  It appears to repeat the attempts I listed in Edit 2 at regular intervals.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC