NTFS on windows 95 OSR2.5

netbookdelgob

Hello, im having problems on getting ntfs driver to work.

I tried Paragon ntfs (this one installs, but says the disk is "out of range")

I tried avira ntfs4dos  and sysinternals one

I think the problem is the driver not loading at startup. But i dont know.

It doesnt work on 98 SE either, the driver doesnt load.

Thanks

I tried Paragon ntfs (this one installs, but says the disk is "out of range")

I tried avira ntfs4dos  and sysinternals one

Maybe it is because the disk is "out of range" ;).

Try describing the actual hardware you are testing those tools on, maybe there are size limits in those softwares, i.e. the disk you tried them on are simply "too big" :unsure:

jaclaz

Yep, it is entirely possible that *something* in those drivers don't like a device which overall exceeds the 28 bit LBA limit (around 128 Gb).

You should try them on a smaller disk (just to exclude this if it is not connected with the problem).

jaclaz

Unless I am mistaken (which is very possible  :blushing:  as the 48 bit LBA is so 2000ish  :huh:  ) the "normal" 9x files (without any patch or change) do work normally for volumes on larger than 128 Gb disks as long as the volume is entirely within the first 128 Gb of the disk. :unsure:

Since the OP has several partitions, roughly  30 Gb each, those should work (if formatted FAT 16 or 32) normally, while it is possible that the NTFS driver adds some checks/whatever...

jaclaz

Yes, that's the right place, thank you. :) It's a sticky post so I could've found it quite easily... if I remembered that. :(

Theoretically there's also the problem whether the BIOS supports 48bit LBA or not. For completeness sake we can count in the possibility that the drive has been partitioned on another machine (48bit LBA-compatible) and then transferred to current machine. However, in this particular case an ICH7 board should support 48bit LBA since the chipset was first released in 2005.