What to do with the "oops" Win 10 build update?

NoelC

Microsoft has accidentally released a new build that we users weren't supposed to see (story on MSFN's home page), but it won't actually install...

FailingUpdate.png

What do we do now that the "FBL_AWESOME1501 9934 Professional" update is "stuck" in there?  Will it resolve itself?

FailedUpdates.png

-Noel

I figured as much.

It's also true that SFC and DISM don't work yet on 9926, so what does it matter?

This gives us all an insight into just how unprofessional the whole process of development at Microsoft is.  Not that we didn't already know.

-Noel

By the way, there is a solution.  I saw it here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9eb7fd3f-e887-42b7-a5c3-e2a248452064/solution-for-users-that-will-see-build-9932-or-9931?forum=WinPreview2014Feedback

You can fix it manually by opening regedit, and going to (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsSelfHost/Applicability/). Change "ThresholdInternal" and ThresholdOptIn" to be 0. Close regedit, and Settings. Restart settings, and re-run Windows Update.

It works.

-Noel

I had only asked for Fast updates using the normal method through the Settings App.

On another note, I find something mildly disturbing about Microsoft calling this version "Threshold".

-Noel

Are they keeping the "foible" part, then?  (FBL_AWESOME)

On a serious note, I installed an older version of Office to test it and now Win 10 is reporting (in it's dumbed-down way), that there are again problems with Windows Update.

Who thinks that Microsoft's software works so well that they can dumb every user interface down to where users no longer have any control?

Where does one find out what failed?  You have to drill down through Update History.  How do you hide an update that will likely never install successfully?  Good luck with that using the big font low IQ interface..

FailedToInstall.png

The Support Info "link" takes you to a generic search page, by the way, with no specific info on the problem.

Doesn't anyone at Microsoft think things through any more beyond the obvious?  Does any executive think his company can be successful in selling operating system services with IQ 90 programmers?

At least the online geeks will have fun crafting such pages as "How To Hide An Update in Windows 10".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC