Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Thanks, though I was hoping to see all of it.  I was just wanting to see the overall count and glance at the list to see if anything new has been added.  On my test Win 10 system the number of processes just running in the background has been growing with each new build.  Every build I return feedback asking Microsoft to trim the fat, and at least make the new "managers, brokers, hosts, etc." auto-exit when they're idle.

Here's what Process Hacker shows me on my system with a freshly booted system that's been allowed to settle for 10 minutes.  The list is a little bigger than a base Windows install because of some things I've installed, but take away the 7 or so processes running because of things I've installed or the way I'm running the system, and there are still almost 50 processes just to have a blank desktop - much more than with Win 8.1.

Seems like all they're doing is loading up Windows with fluff that will ultimately have to be cleaned out to make the system reasonable to run.  I've only just begun working out what doesn't actually need to run, but it's a moving target.

-Noel

You should had mentioned to use a program Process Hacker. I done screenshots which took 2 to capture full list

That means they're still changing elements of the Win 10 theme...  I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.  My gut tells me bad...

I don't really care to work with leaked builds, but I'll be sure and update my RoundedCorners theme atlas when the next official pre-release comes out.  I've got the buttons looking pretty nice now.  Originally I resisted the idea of giving them that "gel" appearance, but I've warmed up to it.

-Noel

I was forced to move to 10056, it was that or go all the way back to 9926. 10041-10051 treats most of my USB drives as non-removable basic disks and Microsoft finally fixed it in build 56. I have not been able to safely eject my SanDisk Extremes for Months now, and now its all working exactly as expected.

In thta case I recommend HotSwap!, it can remove almost any drive and I use it for swapping ny vs drive with my 2nd hdd (in an odd caddy) dor months on win 8 and 10 (but not really tested for the latest builds)

If one of you wants to extract the .png file from aero.msstyles (I only need resource 1204) and posts it here I can take a look at what's needed to update it.

One way to do it:

1.  Copy Aero.msstyles to TEMP and rename it Aero.dll

2.  Open it in Visual Studio and expand the resource tree for "STREAM"

3.  Right-click to export these resources:

1204 as ThemeAtlas.png
     1205 as CircularAnimations.png
     1206 as Icons.png

-Noel

In thta case I recommend HotSwap!, it can remove almost any drive and I use it for swapping ny vs drive with my 2nd hdd (in an odd caddy) dor months on win 8 and 10 (but not really tested for the latest builds)

I'm so happy I didn't damage my USB drives. I thought something was wrong with the drives themselves, so I was actively looking into low level flashing the firmwares on them, and that's when I noticed the change log on 10056 state that USB fixed drives were now seen as removable. But thankfully I never found a MPTool that supports these drives. lol

10056 even seen my USB drives as a possible place to install the OS, which was the first time I have ever seen that in the Windows install routine and I have installed windows multiple thousands of times. I wonder if that is a bug or if MS is going to allow us to directly install to USB drives natively converting it to WindowsToGo?  Anyway sorry for the off-topic. I will look into that app you mentioned. Thanks

Can't wait to see Aero again 

Good to see Aero still working without symbols on Windows 10 Build 10056

That looks great!  What are you using to get the rounded effect.

Edited by dhjohns

Looks like one of the custom Windows 7 rounded themes for Windows 10.

~DP :w00t:

Yea it does.  I just don't want a theme where I need to install stuff to install it!  LOL  Unless it works really well.

Yea it does.  I just don't want a theme where I need to install stuff to install it!  LOL  Unless it works really well.

Well other than 'Uxthemesignaturebypass' you really don't need to install anything, just make sure that your atlas png is disabled and not running.

~DP

I think like dhjohns - generally speaking, less add-on software is better. 

Since dynamic link libraries started via AppInit_DLLs load for every application, there could be some legitimate concern over the addition of even one DLL causing stability issues.

That being said, for a long time I ran Aero Glass that way on my main system and never had a problem with it.  Big Muscle seems to have an uncommonly high regard for quality and stability, so if anything is worth a try, UxThemeSignatureBypass64.dll is.  I've been using it for months on my Win 10 test systems and I've had no instability, except for things that have turned out to be known problems in the pre-release builds having nothing to do with theming.

Also don't forget that BigMuscle has overridden the wrong title bar coloration in ribbon-enabled windows inside that DLL.  That's also a plus for using it even if you're not going to be using a full theme.

Since Microsoft is continuing with the mindless flat, square look, meaning the only way to get decent looking controls is by theming, I have been weighing the idea of using a full theme implementation, if for no other reason to make scroll thumbs easier to spot.  I personally, really, really like (slightly) rounded corners on controls.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC