Metro / Modern Apps - Have you found ANYTHING useful?

NoelC

I do have a Microsoft account, but I don't use it in Windows 8.1 unless I absolutely have to, and then only temporarily.

Downloading and installing apps from the store seems to work without that, but this may only apply to free apps, which is all I've ever tried.

:)

What do you mean "temporarily" and "unless I absolutely have to"?  The way I understood that it worked was that once you have logged in using your MS account the system then "knows" your account and when you go to the store it enters the info automatically, telling MS everything that you do.  Or do you usually log in using a local account, and only log in using your MS account when you "absolutely have to"?  But I didn't think the store would work without a MS account, even for free apps.  So when do you "absolutely have to"?

Just curious since, as you can probably tell, I don't use Win 8.x and hope I never absolutely have to. :)

Cheers and Regards

I always use a local account, and I've never had any problem downloading free apps from the store.

Occasionally in the past (I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was while I was still configuring the system) I've been told that I can't go any further without signing into my Microsoft account, which I have then done, but I always revert to a local account afterwards.

I don't use SkyDrive, which would be only enabled with a Microsoft account, and I won't use the Skype app either for the same reason, as that not only won't let you access it without a Microsoft account, but switches the desktop version permanently to your Microsoft account as well, and as far as I can see that is not reversible, and you lose your original Skype account completely.

:)