I'm Depressed About Windows

NoelC

It auto forgets passwords when you change networks!

This made my day :yes:

jaclaz

Lol. It sounds like a feature. Well of course it's a feature! Couldn't be a bug, right? If everything else was prefect I would suspect it's a bug but seeing how ms is trying is best to go against the user, I am forced to believe it's intentionally doing this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM11 (KK 4.4.4) using Tapatalk

It's almost too sad and alarming to be joked about.

Anything can be pulled over on the public in the name of security.  Anything.

After all more security is better, and much more is much better, right?

Say, for example, Microsoft might want to make Windows 7 less and less attractive to use.  They could roll out "security" updates where every byte of every file written and read would be lovingly examined by the OS every time it's accessed to make absolutely sure no malware is being introduced.

Then, amazingly, because of "architectural differences", Windows 10 could be much, much faster, because it doesn't "need" such work at the low level.

I suspect the only things preventing them from pulling this off is that 1) there ARE actually people smart enough to detect them adding unnecessary overhead, and 2) Microsoft is NOT actually smart enough to pull it off.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Anything can be pulled over on the public in the name of security.  Anything.

But (at the risk of going seriously OT :ph34r:) would it be affordable for the people or can it be evaluated (in terms of time/money) properly?

JFYI:

http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/responsible-counterterrorism-policy

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa755.pdf

jaclaz

You seem to like to dig up documentation that supports things obvious to even a casual observer.  Good on you.

Imagine the outrage if the government were to overtly put a price on a human life - which is what a study to determine how much to spend on counter-terrorism of course produces.

Since "terrorism" is such a hot button subject, maybe someone should accuse Microsoft of "cyber terrorism" for *****ing up Windows so badly.  Yes, I think it's time for the government to get involved.  That'll fix it.

-Noel

I said it before, in some other thread here at MSFN, but let's say it again: Win 7 SP1 goes EoS only on Jan 14, 2020 (and POSReady 2009 goes EoS just a little earlier: Apr 09, 2019)... so we can wait and see what happens till then. The probability of MS coming out with something great till then is non-null, even if it seems to tend to zero. Of course the probability of MS moving into the fertilizer business before that seems to be somewhat greater than that of its coming out with something great till then... Then again, Win 7 SP1 FPP will just be getting cheaper and cheaper on eBay, meanwhile.

Of course the probability of MS moving into the fertilizer business before that seems to be somewhat greater than that of its coming out with something great till then...

LOL, I wonder what Metro/Modern/Universal fertilizer would look (or smell) like.

No doubt they'd find a way to screw THAT up, too.

More seriously, I'm concerned about the move toward Metroizing even the desktop parts of the OS, as suggested for example by their devising the "PC Settings" (and now the "zPC Settings") app to perform functions historically found in Control Panel.

--JorgeA

They've clearly still got their heads every bit as far up their rears as they've been for 5 years now.  Sinofsky/Ballmer have brought the future of computing to a 3rd world status, all the while piling up gargantuan personal fortunes.  If CNN reports that they have choked on steak bones I won't shed a tear.

It's going to take a bit more than playing with the UI animations to make a "threshold" level operating system, I think.  Obviously they have no master plan, based on what we're seeing.  It's more like a few guys fooling around with the Windows source code.

Sad as it seems to be, the Windows era really does appear to be over.  It's sputtering just too badly for too many years...  5 years since the release of the last decent OS, and frankly even Win 7 had its disappointments.  Windows 8 was literally NO MORE than 7.1 with some basically dysfunctional tablet stuff tacked on and relabeling of "Hibernate" (around since way back) as "fastest Windows yet!".  Now we have 10 which is really 8.2.  What's next?  33.0 to show how amazingly far it's come?  The BS is piling high indeed.  It's getting to be enough to change the orbit of the Earth.

Time for Wall Street to move in and cut them into little bits.

-Noel

They've clearly still got their heads every bit as far up their rears as they've been for 5 years now.  Sinofsky/Ballmer have brought the future of computing to a 3rd world status, all the while piling up gargantuan personal fortunes.  If CNN reports that they have choked on steak bones I won't shed a tear.

It's going to take a bit more than playing with the UI animations to make a "threshold" level operating system, I think.  Obviously they have no master plan, based on what we're seeing.  It's more like a few guys fooling around with the Windows source code.

Sad as it seems to be, the Windows era really does appear to be over.  It's sputtering just too badly for too many years...  5 years since the release of the last decent OS, and frankly even Win 7 had its disappointments.  Windows 8 was literally NO MORE than 7.1 with some basically dysfunctional tablet stuff tacked on and relabeling of "Hibernate" (around since way back) as "fastest Windows yet!".  Now we have 10 which is really 8.2.  What's next?  33.0 to show how amazingly far it's come?  The BS is piling high indeed.  It's getting to be enough to change the orbit of the Earth.

Time for Wall Street to move in and cut them into little bits.

-Noel

4th world would be more appropriate the third world is biting at the heels of first world pretty easy now.

if there was EVER time for Linux to become most user friendly and easy to use

its now !

ubuntu took off mainly because its used for android development otherwise it would have still been a dinosaur and it doesnt seem like they are going anywhere with thei ubiquity interface either... the hardware requirement like windows is only going up tho.. linux is right up their with windows now.

• 2 weeks later...

There attempt at over simplification is sad. It makes it harder for those of us who have been been using Windows for years to find what we need to get to. ex: Control Panel you now have to play with the metro control panel as well as the classic to accomplish some basic tasks.