Did cloning a bad HD ruin my new HD?

binthe920

I had a drive that was taking a dive quickly so I went out and got a new drive and cloned it. Now every time I boot up windows wants to perform a check disk. Now if I don't skip it it finds bad sectors and sometimes I lose data!

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Brad

No. :no:

Meaning that a clone is a "clone". :yes:

If there are CHKDSK issues, it means that the filesystem (or the new disk :ph34r:) is not entirely "sound".

You should make a (further) clone of the disk as is and then repair thoroughly the filesystem with chkdsk.

It is extremely rare (I would say "impossible", but of course eveything is possible :w00t:) that a "good" disk, after a few CHKDSK (with the right options) passes is not fully restored to 100% working (unless there is some kind of hardware malfunctioning, let's say a flaky hard disk data cable, a corrupted driver or some "malware" of *some* kind).

Since you just changed your old disk drive, it would not be such a bad idea to thoroughly test the "old" hard disk drive on another machine, as it is *possible* that the disk is fine but there is some other hardware malfunctioning on the machine (and this is the reason why the new disk has issues).

In any case you can try (still you will need another disk if the "old" one is found to be actually defective and cannot be reused) to make instead of a "clone" a "logical copy", more or less what XXCLONE (don't be fooled by the name) will do:

http://www.xxclone.com/

The data (but ONLY indexed/accessible data) will be on a brand new (freshly formatted) filesystem and CHKDSK will have no issues whatever with it.

See also here (for an idea about the differences between different forms of cloning/imaging):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157634-hard-disk-cloningimaging-from-inside-windows/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

When my boot drive started to fail earlier this year, after I cloned it with ghost (disk-to-disk) and booted with the new disk the first time, it ran a checkdisk. But it didn't do it every time I turn on the PC.

The filesystem may have been damaged from the old drive and hopefully that is all it will fix. There shouldn't be bad sectors on the new disk, if there is maybe you can get it replaced under warranty?

Maybe the OP did a "sector by sector" copy (not having stated which "clone" software and the method/options)? :unsure:

Suggest reading links jaclaz (resident expert) gives and try again the "copy" (sic) operation to confirm (after reading second link).