How Do I Download This ThinkPad Video

Monroe

you would need to open the Page Source and look for character string ".SWF"

Once discovered that the video is a single SWF file, it is indeed quicker to skip analyzing the page each time, and simply perform "View Source" - Ctrl-F - ".swf", and copy the link. To speed up page loading, while videos are gathered, I can press F12 in Opera to temporarily disable Java Script and Plug-ins. This will prevent the videos from ever starting to play unnecessarily, and we will get the download prompt upon visiting application/x-shockwave-flash links. Once done, press F12 again, to restore normal behavior of playing SWFs in browser.

I believe the question was how to download this and similar videos with a "general method" which can be applied in a number of cases, including when Lenovo potentially upgrades their site.

The unnecessary embed in this thread plays every time I read it.

Edit:

You could put the standalone Flash Player's single exe file on the CD along with the SWFs. A point of caution is that, when run, the Flash Player will register associations of its file types with Windows, which would become invalid once the CD is removed. Not that big of a deal. Just run another Flash Player that exists on HDD to retake the associations.

Edited by j7n

Highlight link save link as.

http://download.lenovo.com/Removal_movies/50228_t40_keyboard_install.swf

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that VLC can play SWF.

I think that is because the question was "How Do I Download This Thinkpad Video", not "How Do I Play This Thinkpad Video".

Cheers and Regards

Ye but he can open the SWF in VLC with the web address then save it.

2r3hys5.jpg

Was going to recommend it, but did not know that they played .sfw files. I only thought VLC played .flv files. This is nice to know.

I did not know the "linux players" could handle SWFs. Apparently it also works with SMPlayer both over network and with local files.

It can pull most video and audio streams out of SWFs, and plays nothing from SWFs containing only "vector" data.

post-118823-0-89574000-1399586730_thumb.

Yeah not only can play swf but also Mpg 2-3-4 and wmv. Just about everything really. You can then stream it to a file or convert it to mp4 etc. Basically you can save it or convert it.

HarryTri ... I'm still working with Free Download Manager, didn't have luck getting the .swf link but I didn't spend enough time with it to figure it out ... like the program though.

In the Free Download Manager's settings go to the "Flash Video" tab, make sure that the option "Monitor flash video downloads in browsers" is activated in general and for the browser you use and check the "Show the "download it" button (Internet Explorer and Firefox only)" option, this should do it.

Also in the "Monitoring" tab of the settings make sure that the option "Add FDM to the browser's context menu" is checked and in the customization tab make sure that the option "Download video with Free Download Manager" is checked. Then if you right click in the browser you have this option available in the pop up menu. This must work for Google Chrome too (make sure that the browser you use is checked). 

Thanks HarryTri for the additional information for using Free Download Manager. I can really use that, I have all the video links that I want saved but have not tried to download any videos, been a little busy.

I will give this a try very soon ... good to know for the future.