IBM ThinkPad 560 makes strange sounds instead of booting

dhmmjoph

A few hours ago I was given an IBM ThinkPad 560 (not the 560Z, which seems to show up in more google search results) to get working as a project. I took it home, plugged in the power adapter, flipped the switch on the side to turn it on, and heard it make the following noises:

(It's not that loud IRL; I just had the camera really close to wherever the noise was coming from).

Occasionally, the screen (or maybe just the backlight?) will flash (see 2:10 in the video). It will keep doing this until I unplug the power cord.

I really have no idea what's going on here, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had an idea.

Thanks in advance!

A few hours ago I was given an IBM ThinkPad 560 (not the 560Z, which seems to show up in more google search results) to get working as a project. I took it home, plugged in the power adapter, flipped the switch on the side to turn it on, and heard it make the following noises:

(It's not that loud IRL; I just had the camera really close to wherever the noise was coming from).

Occasionally, the screen (or maybe just the backlight?) will flash (see 2:10 in the video). It will keep doing this until I unplug the power cord.

I really have no idea what's going on here, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had an idea.

Thanks in advance!

OT: oddly reminds me of space invaders. Though I can say the clicken is probabbly the harddrive (past experience with many broken ones). Curious though why this laptop my school is full of them and no one can stand the things. (Though the majority of my class thought that windows 7 computers with windows classic apperarence were old as dirt :w00t:)

Edited by Flasche