Windows 2000 on Haswell?

AnX

Jaclaz, thank you for your answer and suggestion.

I tried to switch w2k "standard pc" to "acpi-multiprocessor-pc" yet, but perhaps I did it wrong, because I am a beginner.

First I tried with device manager and changed "Standard-PC" there (but I did not change anything else), which ended with hang-up (in protected mode, it stopped at loading mup). Then I reserched and found microsoft kb237556. According to this, I renamed halmacpi.dll -> hal.dll, ntkrnlmp.exe -> ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrpamp.exe -> ntkrnlpa.exe and copied the 3 files into system32. This ended with hang-up, too (in protected mode, now the system stopped at acpitabl.dat). Is this yet a proof, that the installed system cannot be switched to a different HAL, or did I miss something?

Cannot say, but the "traditional" way to test HAL/Kernels has been through BOOT.INI switches.

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833722/en-us

and links provided here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/154061-bad-shut-down/?p=980575

Mind you it is entirely possible that *something else*  is *somehow*  "botched" during install and that the above won't work at all.

jaclaz

Yes, as jaclaz said for the correct way.

Here's how I pulled off changing ACPI Single Core to ACPI Multi Core. Note that it was a several step process and that it was XP, but it should be the same for 2K.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172203-advice-on-a-64bit-system-upgrade/?view=findpost&p=1083414

Please note that the reason for several steps is due to HAL.PNF being regenerated and the renaming of the HAL and Kernel modules. Whether the method works for you or not... :unsure: based upon jaclaz' final statement. Bear in mind the whole regenerate/rename thing may not happen and you'll simply be "forcing" a different set ( also :unsure: ).

HTH (and this was just an FYI)

jaclaz and submix8c,

thank you for providing the links, which could really be the solution for w2k ACPI problem on haswell. I was successful on booting with /HAL=halacpi and /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe; but after showing starting gui I got BSOD 7c inaccessible_boot_device, like it is mentioned in the posts you provided. Now I will have to tweak registry to add info into critical dev database and  acpi section. I hope that this will not be problem, because I have dual boot XP86 installed on the same machine.

Greetings, Joe 

of course you are right, 0x0000007B (0xF601B48C, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Scapple wrote (in the topic "Changing HAL and mass storage drivers") :

"Now for the Mass Storage drivers it's more difficult. But basically comes down to: Detect the PNP-ID of the boot-device, find the correct .inf file on a driver distribution share mounted from BartPE and install the .sys, .cat files in the offline image. AND very important to import the proper entries in the CiriticalDeviceDatabase and Services section of the loaded hive so the pc will not get a bluescreen (7B error). To do this is too much to explain here in detail."

First I will try to use the entries from XP.

Greetings

Well, I believe that you can try first to use (if available in your BIOS) to set the install to "IDE compatibility mode" and install (actually merge into the existing install) the "plain" Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Driver,

This is documented and relatively easy:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/78535-change-the-hal-and-add-mass-storage-drivers/?p=534757

the mentioned MS KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us

should apply to 2K as well.

Of course it is up to you "translating" the method to be applied to an offline registry.

Or, since you are from Austria, you should have no issue in verifying that this works in 2K (or adapt it accordingly):

http://www.andysblog.de/windows-mergeide-v3-0

(German)

On the 911CD mentioned sub-forum there are two tools (though if they work "as is" on 2K is to be tested) besides OfflineSysprep itself that can "integrate" a Mass Storage driver on an offline install:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22523 

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22313

If the approach works, you should be able to boot in "IDE compatibility mode", and later we will see how to "switch" to AHCI/SATA.

jaclaz

In bios, there is only AHCI mode available, so I have to use it. Now I found out, there is nothing to add in w2k registry critical dev database and services, because iastor is yet already there (since installing the system worked OK with "Standard PC" and mass storage driver iastor 8.9 from blackwingcat.  I integrated the driver successful with HFSLIP. But perhaps I should try another driver version.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Now I finished tests with AHCI drivers (IaStor.sys). No version above 8.9 will work in w2k ("Standard-PC" mode, I was not able to try with acpi).

I also did a lot of testing with hal and kernel using the boot switches. I also added all ACPI and ACPI_HAL registry entries from XP in w2k to see if something would change. Finally, I tried to use hal and kernel from Windows XP and copied hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, kdcom.dll, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntdll.dll and kernel32.dll into w2k system32 dir. In this case, the starting device was found and the system booted, but later hung up because of incompatibility with w2k system files.

From this I have to follow, that only multiprocessor / acpi hal and kernel files remain to be the problem why w2k cannot start in ACPI mode on haswell i7 notebook, although modded files from blackwingcat  are used. Unfortunally I do not have the knowledge to add support for modern BIOS into the w2k kernel files or customize the XP kernel files which should work properly in this case. But if somebody of the experts here is interested in this topic, I would be glad to do the necessary testing or any other work / donation for this issue.

In the meantime I can use W2k in "Standard-PC" - mode. I also found a working realtek card reader driver (inf.-file must be changed so w2k will accept it): version 6.2.9600.21243 will work (I got it from http://alldrivers.ucoz.ru). Version 6.3. (from blackwingcat exkernel DVD) caused BSOD driver_iqrl_less_or_equal in StandardPC mode (I think the problem is pageable rtsper.sys file).

Geetings, Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger

Only a few problem devices remain:

post-394729-0-82740700-1412195291_thumb.

*nvidia GT820M, which should be switchable with Intel HD Graphics. Both are known not to work in XP, too.

* Intel MEI (heci), which also does not work in XP.

* Intel HD Audio, which also does not work in XP.

* Video - Device (Webcam DEV_4F2&PID_B409), which works perfectly in XP with standard driver usbvideo.sys.

I found out, that all XP usb drivers can be used in w2k extended core: usbehci, usbhub (instead of usbhub20), and usbccgp, and all relevant dll files. So it should be possible to install the cam. It installs, but shows code 31 (cannot load driver). I tried with another webcam, which can be plugged into usb, same result. And I tried with usbvideo.sys from blackwingcats DVD and from german XP86 (xpsp3). Same result.

Perhaps another version of usbvideo.sys will do the trick. On the web I did not find anything. Would it be possible to get the enum section of usb registry USB\VID... from somebody here, who has usb 2.0 webcam running on w2k?

Edited by JosefReisinger

Hi.

Windows 2000 has not been supported UVC.

Only a few problem devices remain:

attachicon.gifDevmgrvid.jpg

*nvidia GT820M, which should be switchable with Intel HD Graphics. Both are known not to work in XP, too.

* Intel MEI (heci), which also does not work in XP.

* Intel HD Audio, which also does not work in XP.

* Video - Device (Webcam DEV_4F2&PID_B409), which works perfectly in XP with standard driver usbvideo.sys.

I found out, that all XP usb drivers can be used in w2k extended core: usbehci, usbhub (instead of usbhub20), and usbccgp, and all relevant dll files. So it should be possible to install the cam. It installs, but shows code 31 (cannot load driver). I tried with another webcam, which can be plugged into usb, same result. And I tried with usbvideo.sys from blackwingcats DVD and from german XP86 (xpsp3). Same result.

Perhaps another version of usbvideo.sys will do the trick. On the web I did not find anything. Would it be possible to get the enum section of usb registry USB\VID... from somebody here, who has usb 2.0 webcam running on w2k?

Hi blackwingcat, thank you for your answer.

I examined usbvideo.sys with dependency walker. It complains about error with unresolved function in ntoskrnl:

WmiQueryTraceInformation and WmiTraceMessage. Could this be the reason why chicony webcam 4f2 works in XP but not in W2k?

If yes, would it be much work for you to add this two functions into excore v16 german?

Edited by JosefReisinger

Windows 2000 cdrom.sys throughs WmiQueryTraceInformation and WmiTraceMessage function.

But some drivers check with dynamic load these functions and if they exist in kernel then skip the Windows 2000 routines and don't work them.

# I know that Windows XP kernel has dual Wmi structures and 2000 has single one.

# So It is difficult that we emulate these functions .

Hi blackwingcat, thank you for your answer.

I examined usbvideo.sys with dependency walker. It complains about error with unresolved function in ntoskrnl:

WmiQueryTraceInformation and WmiTraceMessage. Could this be the reason why chicony webcam 4f2 works in XP but not in W2k?

If yes, would it be much work for you to add this two functions into excore v16 german?