bigmuscle

No, it is because all your monitors are connected to the same video adapter, so DWM creates only one large render target for them (as max(width) x max(height)). When having more adapters, each must be handled separately. I will probably make some kind of garbage collector -> don't release resources on device/resolution change, but only create new one and release unused resources later (e.g. if no glass rendering has been asked for 5 minutes or something like that). This can make memory usage spike when someone changes devices/resolution too often, but I think this is very rare case.

Thank you for that explanation, Big Muscle.  Makes perfect sense.  I do indeed have all 3 monitors connected to the one ATI 7850 card, and as of a couple of days ago updated to Catalyst 14.9 drivers.  I've had a smooth experience with Aero Glass for Win 8.1.

-Noel

There's always some hope!

Indeed we've been on many Microsoft.com threads together.  Always a learning experience over there to see what people run into.

I used to feel the way you do, but when they refused to listen during the first Win 8 previews and continued down their path, then after the poor start they doubled-down with Win 8 and kept on that path, I lost all hope that Microsoft thinks users matter in the slightest.  It's the worst of "we're a monopoly and you have nothing to say about that" realized.

Frankly, Sinofsky lost me at "reimagined".

-Noel

I've provided what feedback I could in this app - There is a huge amount of feedback asking to fix everything wrong with Windows 8 - and I hope its listened to.

Well, allegedly that (listening) is what they did till now (and Windows 8.1 is the result :w00t::ph34r:):

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Steve-Ballmer-Windows-8-1-Is-Proof-That-We-Listened-and-We-Learned-366551.shtml

Frankly, Sinofsky lost me at "reimagined".

You missed (see above link) "replatforming". :whistle:

Windows 8 was nothing short of the most remarkable replatforming of Windows basically since 1995. And we've gotten a lot of feedback on Windows 8. I think we did a heck of a good job on Windows 8,

And I would not be so sure that Mr.Nadella has changed the company's attitude. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The "Oh darn, those darned users don't like our newest release.  Oh well, they'll just keep buying our old one then" attitude?

What's stunningly amazing is that Microsoft hasn't extended the agreements that allow OEMs to sell Win 7 (caveat:  I have no idea whether they have, I'm just assuming not since a lot of people talk about how most Win 7 configs are end of lifing pretty soon).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

The "Oh darn, those darned users don't like our newest release.  Oh well, they'll just keep buying our old one then" attitude?

Hmmm, I see it a little differently, more like BORG/Platonic solids. :w00t:

What is expected (by anyone with more than a few sparse neurons working) is a sphere, or at least something similar to it, let's say a dodecahedron, or an icosahedron, or anyway something that rolls in any direction with relatively ease and small pushes. 

We are not going to manufacture a sphere.

We build cubes instead.

We believe that cubes are the future.

We believe we are far smarter that our customers, so we build cubes for them, because cubes are the future.

They don't like our cubes and continue telling about how difficult they are to roll.

Since people do insist on it, we rounded a little bit the corners of our cubes.

Our rounded corners cubes still suck, according to our demented customers.

Cubes are the future.

We listened to our customers and we are now making cubes with one or two (maybe three) corners more rounded.

This is a very noticeable change in our product, so mindboggingly revolutionary and projected into the future that we have decided to call them "hexadrons" instead of "cubes".

We are now accepting suggestions from our customers.

As long as they will suggest to round some more corners or to round them more, it is possible that we may do that.

We make cubes.

Cubes are the future.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

We are surely directing to situation where "Aero Glass for Win8.x" will not be valid name. Any ideas how to tag it properly when Aero Glass for Win10 is available? There is big probability that Win8.1 and Win10 versions will be merged into one release, because there are only minor changes in Win10's DWM.

We are surely directing to situation where "Aero Glass for Win8.x" will not be valid name. Any ideas how to tag it properly when Aero Glass for Win10 is available? There is big probability that Win8.1 and Win10 versions will be merged into one release, because there are only minor changes in Win10's DWM.

I would vote for "Aero Glass Reloaded", removing any reference to the Windows version (this is how most tools are named, nothing actually "new").

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Maybe another direction altogether?

I was thinking Aero+, AeroGlass+, but then I thought of something else.

How about some metaphor of things in a physical window.

Aero Glaze sprung to mind.

But that probably isn't very good. One can glaze a window and also many deserts, but it's probably not so great a name.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM11 (KK 4.4.4) using Tapatalk

How about "Aero Glass for Win8.1/Win10"

Ok, I am almost ready. The current state is that Aero Glass for Win10 (let's use this working title for now) is working. Currently it just does not accept the transparency level set via Control Panel (or registry), because Win10's DWM does not provide this information to the renderer at all.

I will distribute the preview version to the testers during the next week as a separate Win10 version. Later, it will merged with Win8.1 version and distributed to the testers again. If it works correctly, I will release it to the public then. It will still come under the name "Aero Glass for Win8.1 ver1.2.6" (there will be one DLL only for both systems) and we will see what happens when Windows 10 RTM is released - maybe it will be enough to have one version only (so we will create some universal name), maybe the changes will be so complicated that separate version will be needed.

So... if any of the users who provided the feedback during the previous development stages are interested in the testing, write me PM with your e-mail (under which you are registered on my website). Please, users who just registered here, this testing is not for you. Also, do not register in this forum in hope that you will be the tester. Only  the serious feedback is needed and many users from this forum already provided it before. I just don't remember all of them. Also, don't worry that I don't answer your PM immediately, I will just change the bit in your profile to the tester and you can download it there when it is available.

--------

Meanwhile, I created a small utility which can alter blur (Win7-8.1) and accent (Win8-10) on any window. You can download it here: http://glass8.eu/stuff/EnableBlur.7z

The usage is:

EnableBlur.exe [hwnd | name | class] [<window handle> | <window name> | <window class name>] [blur | accent] [<true/false when blur>|<number 0-4 when accent>]

For example, to disable accent and enable blur on the taskbar, use:

EnableBlur.exe class Shell_TrayWnd accent 0EnableBlur.exe class Shell_TrayWnd blur true

Enjoy!

Edited by bigmuscle

so 2 questions: what do you specifically mean with accent?

and who are the testers, can ppl who doanted apply for the test?

I mean you say that ppl who provide "useful feedback" can test it, but if you cannot test the version there is no way to provide any useful feedback...

In any way I am trying to wait patiently...

Best regards...

My1

Edited by My1

Accent is the effect of the color with full transparency, e.g. default state of taskbar in Win8.

The testing is for "users who provided the feedback during the previous development stages" only. I hope that everyone knows who they are.

no I dont, I am relatively new here. and as I said, how can you even provide feedback without testing anything...

pls answer me that.

I'd love to provide some feedback (and not onlöy for the sake of testing, but simply for helping you)

btw, the accent thing sound nice

I have on my drive, ~16 versions of AeroGlass for 8.1 alone (Prototype/Alpha/Beta/RC etc) And there is more.

We can be sure BigMuscle works hard to provide reliable code.

Microsoft could learn about listening to feedback like BM does.. :)

.sean