"Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates for nLite" page (ht

TitoHL

I don't think you are in any way "causing problems". :)

We are here (at least this is the idea) to exchange ideas, opinions and where possible experiences and knowledge :yes:

About the "suitability" of a sysprep based solution, I will quote the recommended (on the mentioned offline sysprep thread) introduction/documentation to sysprep, that coincidentally states:

http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/introduction.shtml

I personally have a Windows XP SP2 image that works on most, if not all, computers. It was specifically designed to operate on Dell business computers (OptiPlex GX1, GXa, GX1p, GX200, GX300, GX400, GX240, GX260, GX270, SX270, GX280, SX280, GX520, GX620, 745, 755 and many Dell laptops), but also works well on Dell Dimensions, Dell Precisions, HP, IBM, Compaq, Sony and other desktops and laptops. It works cleanly for computers I deal with on a day-to-day basis, and on computers less common to me I need to install a few drivers after imaging them. But, the image includes not only the Windows installation but also Microsoft Office, CD burning software, DVD movie playback software, decompression software, Spybot, lots of administration and diagnostic tools, media players, all of the latest patches, etc. plus it has been configured for maximum performance and security. Needless to say that this saves me a lot of time in deployment and it provides a great deal of standardization.

Personally, I tend to count like ;):

one, two, three, many. :w00t:

• if I stay within the three i plainly install the OS.
  • if I reach the "many", I take my time to make a valid image and then deploy it. (still personally I was never a fan of "fully unattended" setups :ph34r:).

So, if I were you, unless there some stringent time limits, I would wait until next (last) "patch tuesday", in the meantime prepare the "universal image", install to it all the updates and then deploy it, I would also think about making - like submix8c hinted - an updated/new "recovery partition", either making use of the existing "Dell technology" to access/restore it or using a third party approach (like grub4dos or the Terabyte MBR or MBLDR).

jaclaz

I see that I still have a lot to learn since I'm pretty much a newbie. I had no clue about sysprep/replication nor am I versed in creating a recovery partition. Thanks to both or you for helping me out with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe -X- has chosen to -not- update the UDC script at this time since EOS is at hand, and only providing the -last- one on or immediately after Patch Tuesday. You can download the Latest Files and replace the Superseded ones via this MS Article. Note whether XP is affected or not and replace older ones accordingly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms14-mar