Which OS should this laptop get?

Torchizard

I've been thinking about this for a long time now and I can't decide which OS to install on my HP Elitebook 2760p. I've narrowed it down to either Windows 2000 or XP. For the intended purpose, they perform equally so now it's just a matter of hardware compatibility and functionality.

So what do you guys think would be the best OS choice in this case? And would there be any major differences between HW support and functionality?

Windows 2000 needs a ton of unofficial upgrades and updates to be on par with XP. XP has tons of anti-privacy trash inside of it, as do 2000.

Just for easier sake, the XP has tons more support then 2000, and could be updated to the level of current Windows OS, when it comes to program usage.

2000 I had problems with, after problems. I love the quick loading, and all, but XP has more support.

I would install XP, cut our as much of the garbage inside of it.

Somebody mentions the drivers, you need to update 2000 to the level of XP, and get rid of the trash, and make sure the NT drivers of XP can work for 2000. It is a lot more work to deal with 2000.

Edited by ROTS

I think 7 should run more than OK on that sort of machine. Of course it will feel faster after XP is installed, but you can't compare an OS that's been running for 2 or 3 years with a clean install. That's the fault people make, and that also why they're happy buying a "new" computer, when in fact, reinstalling would have got them the same satisfaction. Maybe for more work hours, but for far less money.

I think 7 should run more than OK on that sort of machine. Of course it will feel faster after XP is installed, but you can't compare an OS that's been running for 2 or 3 years with a clean install. That's the fault people make, and that also why they're happy buying a "new" computer, when in fact, reinstalling would have got them the same satisfaction. Maybe for more work hours, but for far less money.

^ Dittos to what Ponch said :yes: