Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

Today I've installed VMware Workstation version 10, just released.

Other than in Windows 8 the screen going black during the install of the latest version VMware tools, Aero Glass for Win 8 works perfectly, even with the virtual hardware upgraded to version 10. I just upgraded to Aero Glass for Win 8 version 1.1 and that works fine as well.

The prototype Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 software works great with it as well.

Honestly, VMware Workstation 10 doesn't really seem much different than version 9.

-Noel

I don't undestand why use it on virtual machine when it is final release allready. I use it on real Win8 x64 Pro with MC - all perfect! Good job, thx a lot! Greatest work. And 3 euro isn't big price for this!

Just wanted to share an easy way to set the blur amount with a vb script, enjoy :)

Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001strComputer = "." Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv") strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM"strValueName = "BlurDeviation"oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValueWscript.Echo "Current Blur Amount: " & dwValue  strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM"oReg.CreateKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPathstrValueName = "BlurDeviation"dwValue = InputBox("Set Blur amount 10-30 Set 0 to Disable Blur", "")oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue

BlurDeviation.vbs.zip

Edited by MrGRiM

I wanted to add a way to restart dwm and explorer to see the changes on the blur but for some reason this doesn't work on Windows 8, tested it on 7 and it works fine though, anyone know a better way to restart explorer?

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")SET oExec=WshShell.Exec("taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe")SET oExec= NothingSet WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")SET oExec=WshShell.Exec("taskkill /F /IM dwm.exe")SET oExec= NothingSet WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")WshShell.Run "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"

Never mind found a way that works :)

On Error Resume Next' Kill Explorer.exestrComputer = "."Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'explorer.exe'")For Each objProcess in colProcessList    objProcess.Terminate(1)Next' Launch Explorer.exeSet objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") objShell.Run "explorer.exe" Set objShell = NothingWscript.exit
Edited by MrGRiM

I don't undestand why use it on virtual machine when it is final release allready. I use it on real Win8 x64 Pro with MC - all perfect! Good job, thx a lot! Greatest work. And 3 euro isn't big price for this!

I run Windows 7 on my main workstation. It's not Aero Glass for Win8 that is the reason I don't run Windows 8 there.

It's that Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7 for everything I want to do. There are many features missing and degradations of the user experience that I'm not willing to accept.

If I were to get a new system on which I could only get Windows 8, I can now (using BigMuscle's awesome software among other packages and tweaks) configure and augment Windows 8 to be almost as good as Windows 7. But it's just not all the way there, and offers nothing I wish to have - so why change? It's not an upgrade by any sense of the word.

So I run Windows 8 et. al. on VMware virtual machines for development and testing and book writing, while keeping my workstation on Windows 7 for all its nice features.

-Noel

OK here is a better vb script that also prompts you to restart explorer to take effect :)

Updated to make the script run as admin and also included a context menu shortcut reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell\Aero Glass Blur]"icon"="%systemroot%\\system32\\themecpl.dll,-1""Description"="Change the Blur Amount on Aero Glass"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell\Aero Glass Blur\command]@="wscript.exe C:\\DWM\\BlurDeviation.vbs"
If WScript.Arguments.length =0 Then  Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")  objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & _  WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " uac", "", "runas", 1ElseConst HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001' Display Current Blur AmountstrComputer = "."Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM"strValueName = "BlurDeviation"oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValueWscript.Echo "Current Blur Amount: " & dwValue' Set New Blur AmountstrKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM"oReg.CreateKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPathstrValueName = "BlurDeviation"dwValue = InputBox("Set Blur amount 10-40 Set 0 to Disable Blur", "")oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue' Start Message BoxstrText = "Restart Explorer to take effect." & Chr(13) & Chr(13)strText = strText & "Do you want to Restart Explorer Now?"strTitle = "Restart explorer"intType = vbYesNo + vbExclamation + vbDefaultButton2' Display Message BoxSet objWshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")intResult = objWshShell.Popup(strText, ,strTitle, intType)' Process the resultSelect Case intResult    Case vbYesOn Error Resume Next' Kill Explorer.exestrComputer = "."Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'explorer.exe'")For Each objProcess in colProcessList    objProcess.Terminate(1)Next' Kill DWM.exeSet WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")Set oExec=WshShell.Exec("taskkill /F /IM dwm.exe")Set oExec= Nothing' Launch Explorer.exeSet objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")objShell.Run "explorer.exe"Set objShell = Nothing    Case vbNo' ExitSet WshShell =NothingEnd SelectEnd If

BlurDeviation.zip

Edited by MrGRiM

Would it be weird of me to ask for an option in the future that returns Aero Glass only to window titles and their frames but leaves the Windows 8.1 taskbar as it is? :) I kind of find only the title bars most repulsive in Windows 8.x due to their use of solid color.

Edited by xpclient

I run Windows 7 on my main workstation. It's not Aero Glass for Win8 that is the reason I don't run Windows 8 there.

It's that Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7 for everything I want to do. There are many features missing and degradations of the user experience that I'm not willing to accept.

If I were to get a new system on which I could only get Windows 8, I can now (using BigMuscle's awesome software among other packages and tweaks) configure and augment Windows 8 to be almost as good as Windows 7. But it's just not all the way there, and offers nothing I wish to have - so why change? It's not an upgrade by any sense of the word.

So I run Windows 8 et. al. on VMware virtual machines for development and testing and book writing, while keeping my workstation on Windows 7 for all its nice features.

-Noel

Sorry for offtop. I used Windows 7 a long time (at least 1,5 year). When Win8 comes out, i upgrade my Win7 to Win8. And in new system i can do all what i do in Win7. Most of time it better then in Win7. What functions of Win7 don't have Win8? Except Aero Glass, of course :)

Edited by CKyHC

I've noticed a bug with Aero Glass when I send an email using Hotmail/Outlook and when the broswer finishes sending the email, the tab will become transparent and looks out of place, and I have provided an image underneath

4xr9.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is interesting. I guess the tab belongs to Firefox and not to Outlook mail? Do you use custom theme, or theme resource? I see this more as a bug in FF theme but I don't see the way how could it achieve...

' Enable AeroGlass v1.0 DWM For Windows 8' http://glass8.berlios.de/' ~DosProbie - 08-29.13' ### RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR..  If WScript.Arguments.length =0 Then  Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")  objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & _  WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " uac", "", "runas", 1  Else'''Code Here'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ### VARIABLES AND OBJECTS.. 'Option Explicit On Error Resume Next Dim WshShell Set WshShell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")' ### ENABLE AERO GLASS.. WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs","1","REG_DWORD" WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs","0","REG_DWORD" WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs", "C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll", "REG_SZ"' ### REFRESH DWM.. Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") WshShell.Run "Taskkill /F /T /IM dwm.exe",1,TRUE  WScript.Quit End If

Good vbs scripts GRiM! Usually when needing elevation with .vbs it can be a issue, but looks like you took care of that, another way I have been using to run a .vbs file requiring admin elevation is this method..DP :sneaky:

Edited by DosProbie

How do I get the glowing window borders? I tried making a customthemeresource string value in HKCU\software\Microsoft\windows\dwm with the win8RTM_glow filepath, and I don't have glowing window borders. what am I doing wrong?