120 gig slave harddrive isnt reconized by 98se

Here is a good question, what is the size of the primary drive? Most computers have "Buses" ( correcr me if I am wrong, I am probably wrong ) that permits the usage of higher sized drives, Meaning your drive might be working, but the BIOS+ the built in hardware will not allow it to

have a drive above a certian size.

Like in my older computer, it is restricted to 8gigs. Anoher one is 40gigs. You can either update the bios ( which is dangerous and results in your omputer crying, if you fail and possible currupted install, which can damage the bios chip??? ).

Maybe your computer needs a bios update? Another question is what is the format of the drive, and arre their any special qualities to it?

Here is a question? Is their any important private data on the drive??

Here is a good question, what is the size of the primary drive? Most computers have "Buses" ( correcr me if I am wrong, I am probably wrong ) that permits the usage of higher sized drives, Meaning your drive might be working, but the BIOS+ the built in hardware will not allow it to have a drive above a certian size. Like in my older computer, it is restricted to 8gigs. Anoher one is 40gigs. You can either update the bios ( which is dangerous and results in your omputer crying, if you fail and possible currupted install, which can damage the bios chip??? ). Maybe your computer needs a bios update? Another question is what is the format of the drive, and arre their any special qualities to it? Here is a question? Is their any important private data on the drive??

It would have been a good question if lolnousernameforyou had not already posted ALL details on the hard disk (including it's size) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163621-120-gig-slave-harddrive-isnt-reconized-by-98se/#entry1046685

A good question might be whether the motherboard's BIOS recognizes the whole size of the hard disk.

jaclaz

I would thing the BIOS would recognize the hard disk's full size since the BIOS is from 2003. (All info I have about the BIOS is below)

Field Value

BIOS Properties

BIOS Type Award

Award BIOS Type Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

Award BIOS Message L7VMM2 3.0 02/21/2003

System BIOS Date 02/21/03

Video BIOS Date 10/05/01

BIOS Manufacturer

Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Product Information http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm

BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40

***Note I get the info from Everest.

Nonsense! Is the BIOS set for "AUTO-Detect"? If not, then make it so and start over! Don't forget to "Press F10 to Save Settings" (Award BIOS). Someone MIGHT have over-ridden that to "User Defined". The other alternative is a "limiting" jumper on the HDD. Just so happens I have a nearly exact (similar) HDD - WD1600BB. The difference being the capacity. Properly jumpered and defined n the BIOS should show (in the BIOS) the full capacity and Win9x(and up) will recognize it in System Properties. FDISK will allow for the full capacity.

See this (Limiting) - http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83

Standard (non-Limiting) Jumpers (note- similar picture is on your HDD) -

post-72994-0-26926400-1376063059_thumb.g

Start over and check EVERYTHING mentioned in this topic. A BIOS that "new" should not have that "capacity cap".

Not necessarily OT (and I do NOT remember) - if it has a DynamicDiskOverlay installed on it then that will cause a variety of problems. We'll broach that possibility after you double-check everything.

Edited by submix8c

In other words BIOS did recognize the full size.

Nonsense!

How can you doubt that? :unsure:

He posted the size of the hard disk, he affirmed that the BIOS recognized the full size of it, the size is below the 28 LBA limit, WHAT doubts do you have? :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

?Communication Breakdown?

Two posts, breezed through the second, and seen a "not" in there. :crazy:

Evelyn Woodhead's Sped Reding Corse...

So... has this been resolved? Did FDISK partition the full capacity?

(Remember I mentioned DDO's can bork you since BIOS does NOT see that.)

Edited by submix8c

So... has this been resolved?

It has been reported as resolved, yes:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163621-120-gig-slave-harddrive-isnt-reconized-by-98se/#entry1046715

then a request for more info on the "technical part" was issued, and I provided tentatively some resources to read.

For all it relates to the original issue I see it as a "closed case".

jaclaz