Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

I successfully installed Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM Beta 1, but I had to manually extract symbols into the folder where I extracted contents of "Win81_x64_beta1", although I donated the required amount and had placed the file "license.key" in the same folder.

Why Aero Glass does not automatically download the necessary symbols from the MS servers if the license.key is present in the folder? License.key was definitely read since never did I receive the message informing that this a prototype. Here is link to debug.log (http://files.fm/u/bonlheg, direct link-> http://files.fm/down.php?i=hqhtnoa&n=debug.log)

Here bellow is the initial result I had when (1) extracted contents of "win81_x64_beta1" and (2) licence.key into designated folder + after I changed the described registry entries.

8MJRetW.png

and this is the result I got after I manually supplemented folder "symbols" while extracting "en_windows_8_1_symbols_x64_2712576". After it Aero glass works flawlessly with dwm.exe running in the background.

1Et3RA5.jpg

Edited by jemeljsh

Why Aero Glass does not automatically download the necessary symbols from the MS servers if the license.key is present in the folder?

Just to let you know it CAN work - it downloaded them automatically for me.

-Noel

Why Aero Glass does not automatically download the necessary symbols from the MS servers if the license.key is present in the folder?

Just to let you know it CAN work - it downloaded them automatically for me.

-Noel

I see but I do not understand why it won't do it automatically in my case :). Maybe I missed something..

Anyway, thank you bigmuscle :thumbup

Much appreciated!

6P2VjrF.jpg

Your debug.log contains "SYMSRV: The server name or address could not be resolved" which means that either the remote server was not available, or your internet connection did not work during the DWM startup, or some other unspecified problem with your internet connection...

Your debug.log contains "SYMSRV: The server name or address could not be resolved" which means that either the remote server was not available, or your internet connection did not work during the DWM startup, or some other unspecified problem with your internet connection...

Thanks. This gave me an idea. I noticed that after I switched from Win 7 to Win 8.1 at Win 8.1 log in screen network adapter showed no connections but just before I entered desktop I saw that it changed to "connected", so it means that for some reason the connection happened few seconds after entering the log in screen. Not sure what is the reason for that. Maybe some bios setting which puts network adapter into sleep..

So now I did the following:

1. manually entered network adapter settings.

2. removed the contents of "symbols", which I had manually created while extracting "en_windows_8_1_symbols_x64_2712576". (+4gb :D).

3. restarted the machine..

4. great success :D <- it downloads symbols automatically.

By the way, I am using Close All to close opened apps and windows with one click. Close All allows you to specify apps you wish to leave open when you hit use Close All, and I indicated dwm.exe as one of them - but still whenever I click on CloseAll it tries to close dwm.exe.

Now when using Close All it makes dwm.exe close and restart it - basically you get the same effect which you would get if you tried to manually close dwm.exe window. Maybe there's a command line which would work ? I was thinking that maybe there is other hidden process running in the background which I could specify in CloseAll target settings ?

By the way, I am using Close All to close opened apps and windows with one click. Close All allows you to specify apps you wish to leave open when you hit use Close All, and I indicated dwm.exe as one of them - but still whenever I click on CloseAll it tries to close dwm.exe.

Now when using Close All it makes dwm.exe close and restart it - basically you get the same effect which you would get if you tried to manually close dwm.exe window. Maybe there's a command line which would work ? I was thinking that maybe there is other hidden process running in the background which I could specify in CloseAll target settings ?

For what I know, this is intentional for debugging purposes until the final release.

Awesome! I guess I was overthinking the key generation system LOL. Everything works now. Thanks! A big part of why it never worked on the desktop before was because I didn't know debug.log had the machine ID in it. I found that out via a post on here recently. I also didn't think it would let me use another key with no special strings attached. Now that's convenient. No problems anymore. Also that "general availability update A" hasn't broken anything at all. Let's hope the general availability update B doesn't either. These updates are supposed to be only bugfixes, but as of Windows 8, you never know. I heard one of these updates will possibly get rid of a nag screen when secure boot is disabled on 8.1. That will make it less of an annoyance when this ships one day for 8.1 RTM. Just glad MS didn't sneak anything in to murder Aero further. Maybe after the Windows 8 rehaul stuff will be calming down from now on. Good news for everyone!

Edited by MikeRL

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, Donated and got my license key, installed and it works well on my 8.1 Pro x64 RTM so far.

I'll just hide the DWM.exe window and call it a day until it breaks. In which case ill come here armed with logs ;)

I successfully installed Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM Beta 1, but I had to manually extract symbols into the folder where I extracted contents of "Win81_x64_beta1", although I donated the required amount and had placed the file "license.key" in the same folder.

Why Aero Glass does not automatically download the necessary symbols from the MS servers if the license.key is present in the folder? License.key was definitely read since never did I receive the message informing that this a prototype. Here is link to debug.log (http://files.fm/u/bonlheg, direct link-> http://files.fm/down.php?i=hqhtnoa&n=debug.log)

Here bellow is the initial result I had when (1) extracted contents of "win81_x64_beta1" and (2) licence.key into designated folder + after I changed the described registry entries.

and this is the result I got after I manually supplemented folder "symbols" while extracting "en_windows_8_1_symbols_x64_2712576". After it Aero glass works flawlessly with dwm.exe running in the background.

Are those symbols located on the 8.1 iso? I'm having the same problem :/ Here's my debug log http://pastebin.com/x5DeY8Fk

Edited by Hunk4TH

Nevermind. I donated restarted the process now it downloads the folder but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I must be doing something wrong lol. I'll keep tinkering with it.

*Edit* I got it working. It was the theme I was using. Looking forward to beta 2. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Edited by Hunk4TH

Beta 1 still works after installing the Win8.1 GA Update Rollup A, though I had the incompatibility error after the reboot, it automatically downloaded the symbols and is working great now.

I just wanted to note a problem which I generally have with these types of licensing methods. Of course, I can understand the need for licensing and was happy to donate my small contribution in return for BigMuscle's efforts. I'm also grateful that he's taken so much of his time and effort to restore a feature many of us feel should never have been removed in the newest version of Windows. But for those of us who own MacBooks and run Windows in a Boot Camp partition, we often suffer the inconvenience of varying Machine IDs being reported between Boot Camp and in virtual environments from OS X. Rather than swap between license files every time I plan to restart in a different environment to ensure the Machine ID is the correct one I've decided to revert back to Windows 7 for now. I would humbly ask BigMuscle to consider a different licensing model in the future that doesn't rely on Machine IDs or other characteristics that might vary between working environments on the same computer. Perhaps one solution might be to allow the program to recognize two license files (license.key.vm vs. license.key.bc) as being valid when switching, depending on the Machine ID generated in that environment.

Edited by ssn650

I'd like to report a bug, when I minimize any application, I see a flicker on the taskbar. The taskbar loses its blur and stripes for a moment, sometimes it stays that way till I minimize or maximize any application.

My config: Intel 2nd Gen i3, 8gb RAM, intel HD 3000...