[HELP] Modifying Windows 8 system files

Tusticles

Can someone tell me why I can't modify the system files in Windows 8 64bit? Tried Restorator and resource hacker, , replaced the img resources in DLL, backed up the original files (shell32.dll and explorerframe.dll) and replaced with the modified files, then restarted pc and guess what, the files were corrupted... restored backup, alright... Then I tried to modify the windows 8 system files in windows7( I have dual boot ), it worked, the files were not corrupted, replaced the files in windows 8 system32 dir then restarted. The files were successfully loaded but no resources changed, opened the dll in restorator and the modified image returned to default, then I opened the DLL in windows 7 and the image was different, I don't understand, Any help? Thank you.

Edited by Tusticles

I made my own installer with Inno Setup http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php, to patch system files using respatch files created with Restorator and then using some batch files to first save permissions of the files and then one to make a copy of the original file and move it to a directory where the file is patched, then the batch moves the original file to a backup folder and moved the modified file back, after that it restores ownership to trustedinstaller and then I have one more match file to restore the permissions.

Note: restoring ownership to trusted installer on the shell32.dll seemed to create problems but permissions can still be restored.

Here is an example of some of the batch files I made for the shell32.dll

@ECHO OFF

SET PATH1=%windir%\system32

icacls %PATH1%\shell32.dll /save shell32.AclFile

REM - End Apps & Services that MAY be using shell32.dll....
cd\
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
taskkill /f /IM nvvsvc.exe
taskkill /f /IM WLIDSVCM.EXE
taskkill /f /IM dllhost.exe

REM Stopping Software Protection Services
NET stop "Software Protection" /y
NET STOP SuperFetch

EXIT

@ECHO OFF
REM Set File Paths
SET PATH2="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\Patching Temp1"
SET PATH3="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files"
SET PATH4="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files\FolderBand"
SET PATH5="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files\CPNavPanes"
SET PATH6="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\system32"
REM Set File Names
SET FILE1=shell32.dll
REM Taking ownership system32
takeown /a /f %PATH1%\%FILE1%
ICACLS %PATH1%\%FILE1% /Grant *S-1-5-32-544:F
REM Copy System Files to Shell32_Patch_System_Backup
COPY /Y %PATH1%\%FILE1% %PATH2%
REM Patch System Files
%PATH3%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
%PATH4%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
%PATH5%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
REM Move Original Files to Backup
Move %PATH1%\%FILE1% %PATH6%\%FILE1%
REM Move Patched Files Back
Move %PATH2%\%FILE1% %PATH1%\%FILE1%
EXIT

@ECHO OFF
REM Restore Ownership
REM icacls %windir%\system32\shell32.dll" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" /T /C
REM Restore File Permisions
icacls "%windir%\system32" /restore "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\AclFile\shell32.AclFile"
REM Start Software Protection
NET START "Software Protection"
START %windir%\"explorer.exe"
REM %1 is the number of seconds for the delay, as specified on the command line
> "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs" ECHO Set wshShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
>> "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs" ECHO ret = wshShell.Popup( "Restart Computer to Complete Changes", %~1, "Restart Windows", vbInformation )
CSCRIPT //NoLogo "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs"
DEL "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs"
EXIT

I made my own installer with Inno Setup http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php, to patch system files using respatch files created with Restorator and then using some batch files to first save permissions of the files and then one to make a copy of the original file and move it to a directory where the file is patched, then the batch moves the original file to a backup folder and moved the modified file back, after that it restores ownership to trustedinstaller and then I have one more match file to restore the permissions.

Note: restoring ownership to trusted installer on the shell32.dll seemed to create problems but permissions can still be restored.

Here is an example of some of the batch files I made for the shell32.dll

@ECHO OFF

icacls %PATH1%\shell32.dll /save shell32.AclFile

REM - End Apps & Services that MAY be using shell32.dll....
cd\
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
taskkill /f /IM nvvsvc.exe
taskkill /f /IM WLIDSVCM.EXE
taskkill /f /IM dllhost.exe

REM Stopping Software Protection Services
NET stop "Software Protection" /y
NET STOP SuperFetch

EXIT

@ECHO OFF
REM Set File Paths
SET PATH2="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\Patching Temp1"
SET PATH3="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files"
SET PATH4="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files\FolderBand"
SET PATH5="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\ResPatch_Files\CPNavPanes"
SET PATH6="%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\system32"
REM Set File Names
SET FILE1=shell32.dll
REM Taking ownership system32
takeown /a /f %PATH1%\%FILE1%
ICACLS %PATH1%\%FILE1% /Grant *S-1-5-32-544:F
REM Copy System Files to Shell32_Patch_System_Backup
COPY /Y %PATH1%\%FILE1% %PATH2%
REM Patch System Files
%PATH3%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
%PATH4%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
%PATH5%\Patch_shell32.exe -quiet -nobackup -auto -guiless -force -dir %PATH2%
REM Move Original Files to Backup
Move %PATH1%\%FILE1% %PATH6%\%FILE1%
REM Move Patched Files Back
Move %PATH2%\%FILE1% %PATH1%\%FILE1%
EXIT

@ECHO OFF
REM Restore Ownership
REM icacls %windir%\system32\shell32.dll" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" /T /C
REM Restore File Permisions
icacls "%windir%\system32" /restore "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Virtual Customs\Shell32 Patch System Backup\AclFile\shell32.AclFile"
REM Start Software Protection
NET START "Software Protection"
START %windir%\"explorer.exe"
REM %1 is the number of seconds for the delay, as specified on the command line
> "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs" ECHO Set wshShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
>> "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs" ECHO ret = wshShell.Popup( "Restart Computer to Complete Changes", %~1, "Restart Windows", vbInformation )
CSCRIPT //NoLogo "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs"
DEL "%Temp%.\Restart.vbs"
EXIT

This is the only way? Checked the link posted by Dubby and no luck.

This is the only way?

No, there may be many others but all not "easy", "straightforward" or "safe".

Another approach, impersonate "Trusted Installer":

maybe it works on Windows 8 too :unsure: .

jaclaz

I have another option that I use that may or may not work for everyone, but when I want to update any protected system files I just take out my ssd drive from my lap pop in another drive as the master, hook up a 2.5" usb transfer cable to my orginal drive which is now just a slave, then run a simple batch file that I wrote that renames orginal system files with a .bak extension and copies over the new files, Takes less than 10 mins total to do it this way and on the plus side you don't have to deal with Windows file protection, permission-access denied popups and elabroate scripts that don't always work, praying that all goes well and that you haven't bricked your system..DPyes.gif

Unattended, thats the way to fly. I patch several system files, install and no problems because its all done to the image. Course still have to take permissions and all that.

imageres.dll=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

shell32.dll=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

spwizimg.dll=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

background_cli.bmp=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

setup.bmp=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

winpe.bmp=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

basebrd.dll=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

explorer.exe=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

img0.jpg=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

WinLGDep.dll.mui=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

Windows.UI.Immersive.dll=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8

user.bmp=D:\APPS\_MODfiles\_X64_Win8