Windows 98SE installation error OEMCD001

alysak5473

Hi,

I have a problem with installing windows 98SE so I need your guys' help. I am running a HP p6714y computer with a windows 7 operating system on it. My proccessor is an AMD Athlon II X4 640 Proccessor 3.00 GHz. I also have 4 gigabites of RAM. I wanted to install a second operating system on my computer which is windows 98. I didn't create a second partition though for the operating system. I inserted the CD disk and restarted windows a screen comes up with three options: one is for start windows with cd rom support, start windows without cd rom support and start windows 98 setup from CD ROM. I chose start windows 98 setup from CD ROM and it scans for a CD ROM called "OEMCD001" it says that it is not found and installation is aborted and it takes me to another screen which says "No Valid CDROM device drivers selected, Windows 98 setup files were not found" and it also says "A:\>" and you can type a command where that "A" letter is. The same thing also occurred when I chose the option "Start windows with CD ROM support". The other option "Start Windows without CD ROM support" just boots the computer normally. I need help to fix this problem. I don't have a lot experience so I need a step by step guid on how to fix this problem. Remember that I am also installing this from a CD.

Thanks.

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! That's a SATA DVD. It's ALL SATA!

Your Specs -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02675196#N87

Your Motherboard -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01701270#N387

Four SATA Connectors and One Floppy Connector. SATA is problematic for you unless you get ($$$) rloew's SATA patch. The RAM (4GB) is also problematic unless you get ($$$) rloew's RAM patch. Your HDD (1 TB) is also problematic unless you get a 48-bit LBA patch from (guess who?).

As for the "CD-ROM Not Found" it probably takes a VERY SPECIALIZED driver to access it in a DOS-like environment. As an example, the same thing happens on my Dell E521 without the Driver that THEY provided (within the Diagnostics DVD). USUALLY SATA DVD's run in PATA mode but you STILL need the correct Driver. Since it came with Windows7, chances of finding it are rather slim. :(

Win 98 has limitations. You should browse around the Win9x/ME Subforum and peruse the Sticky Topics (right at the beginning), in particular the "Stickified" topic. Look inside it for MORE topics that address EXACTLY what you want to do.

Edit - "Chipset - NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" - what I have and no I CAN'T provide my Floppy that DOES access the DVD because it's Proprietary (read our MSFN Rules - link at top). Too bad, because it would PROBABLY work. At least to access the DVD, after that you're kaput anyway...

Edit2 - Besides, you CAN'T load Win9x on another partition AFTER Win7 has been installed. If you REALLY want Win9x, just use Virtual PC or another VM and run it as a "guest OS". I wouldn't take a chance on screwing up my PreInstalled OS unless I was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I could successfully restore it.

Edit 3 - and you've asked the same question two other forums (EXACT wording) and got (kind of) the same reply on one of them. Again, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, trucker!

Edited by submix8c

To gain access to the CD, you would have to rebuild the Boot Image of the CD to include GCDROM.SYS and add it to the list of Drivers in CONFIG.SYS.

Hi,

Can you or someone else give me step by step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Same as OAKCDROM.SYS. ;)

GOOOOOGLE!

"gcdrom.sys"

Easy-peasy!

Hi,

Can you provide step by step instructions on how to do this? I don't know much about these kinds of files so I to know know every step and where to copy and place these files, what to type in these files, etc.

Thanks.

Oh, come ON!!!! GOOGLE that and click the links given They say EXACTLY what to do. Why repeat it here?

Here is the "help" information.

Hereis the download.

Replace "OAKCDROM.SYS" with "GCDROM.SYS" and use the additional "Cx" parameter (RTFM) to point to the CD/DVD's SATA "plug" designation.

AGAIN, EASY-PEASY!!!!

AND as rloew said

you would have to rebuild the Boot Image of the CD
And THAT is an entirely different matter! You will have to EXTRACT the Boot Image, OPEN IT in an Floppy Image Editor, EXTRACT the "CONFIG.SYS", CHANGE it, REINSERT IT into the Image, then RECREATE YOUR CD! An ALTERNATIVE would be to put the MODIFIED Image onto a Real Floppy.

Do you have a Burning Software Suite? If so, MAYBE you could use a program like (e.g.) BBIE to extract the Image, get a Trial Version of WinImage, modify the Image, "dump" your CD Contents to a Folder, then Re-Create a Bootable CD with you Burning Suite.

What Windows OS are you DOING this on? 95/98/98SE/ME/XP/Vista/Seven?

Edited by submix8c

[...] I am running a HP p6714y computer with a windows 7 operating system on it. My proccessor is an AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 Proccessor 3.00 GHz. I also have 4 gigabites of RAM. I wanted to install a second operating system on my computer which is windows 98. I didn't create a second partition though for the operating system. [...] I don't have a lot experience so I need a step by step guid on how to fix this problem. Remember that I am also installing this from a CD.
Can you provide step by step instructions on how to do this? I don't know much about these kinds of files so I to know know every step and where to copy and place these files, what to type in these files, etc.

As has been explained above, since installing Win98 to an existing Win7 installation, on modern hardware, is NOT the usual way one does it, and is difficult, if not impossible, to do without extra patches that cost money, and even with the patches still require non-trivial steps that will be difficult for an admitted beginner without much experience, so will involve a whole lot more work than just "Follow steps 1-8, reboot and you're done!", and this doesn't even consider the problems of finding Win98 drivers for all the various hardware that is part of or connected to your system, would you please explain WHY you want to do this? What is the purpose? What do you want to use Win98 for? As has also been mentioned above, it might be much more appropriate, and much easier, to just install Win98 in a VM. Without more information from you, I don't think you will find many people willing to waste their, and your, time in what might be a lost cause.

Cheers and Regards

Oh, come ON!!!! GOOGLE that and click the links given They say EXACTLY what to do. Why repeat it here?

Here is the "help" information.

Hereis the download.

Replace "OAKCDROM.SYS" with "GCDROM.SYS" and use the additional "Cx" parameter (RTFM) to point to the CD/DVD's SATA "plug" designation.

AGAIN, EASY-PEASY!!!!

AND as rloew said

you would have to rebuild the Boot Image of the CD
And THAT is an entirely different matter! You will have to EXTRACT the Boot Image, OPEN IT in an Floppy Image Editor, EXTRACT the "CONFIG.SYS", CHANGE it, REINSERT IT into the Image, then RECREATE YOUR CD! An ALTERNATIVE would be to put the MODIFIED Image onto a Real Floppy.

Do you have a Burning Software Suite? If so, MAYBE you could use a program like (e.g.) BBIE to extract the Image, get a Trial Version of WinImage, modify the Image, "dump" your CD Contents to a Folder, then Re-Create a Bootable CD with you Burning Suite.

What Windows OS are you DOING this on? 95/98/98SE/ME/XP/Vista/Seven?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just one quesiton: is the "OAKCDROM.SYS" on the installation CD?

And also how would you write the CD SATA plugin destination?

And what should I change in the config.sys file.

Sorry. Please answer our questions first.

Cheers and Regards

Hi,

I want to use Windows 98 for older software that works in Windows 98. I was also wondering if I can install windows 98 on a 2001 laptop that has windows xp on it.

Thanks.

I was also wondering if I can install windows 98 on a 2001 laptop that has windows xp on it.

You sure can, and can do it while preserving the XP on it, too, even if that requires some more effort and patience. Then again, lots of patience are required to work properly with 9x/ME, in any case. Slow does it. Good luck!

OK, I'll answer you with the same degree of detail and helpfulness as you have answered us.

Just one quesiton: is the "OAKCDROM.SYS" on the installation CD?

Yes.

And also how would you write the CD SATA plugin destination?

And what should I change in the config.sys file.

Sorry, you said - "Just one quesiton"

I was also wondering if I can install windows 98 on a 2001 laptop that has windows xp on it.

Yes.

Cheers and Regards

Sorry. Please answer our questions first.

Cheers and Regards

Hi,

Another thing is that I really like the windows 98 system. It is a really classic system and I like it a lot. I want to use this as a dual boot or a second operating system on my computer.

Thanks.