Windows Update kills system on daily basis

snuz2

I am running XP sp3 on a HP pavilion dv6000. I have fixed most issues on this machine but one remains: Almost everyday, Windows update takes over the machine for 5 minutes, even when it has nothing to download or install. Reading the FAQ above, refers to a KB article that recommends Fixit to correct the problem. When I run Fixit, it reports that the system is configured incorrectly, reports that it is correcting the configuration, reports that it has verified the correction. But the problem remains and running Fixit again confirms that it has not changed.

Does anyone know of a manual fix for this problem? Or is some software that is installed causing this problem? A service is not configured properly? Thanks!

Reading the FAQ above, refers to a KB article that recommends Fixit to correct the problem.

Which FAQ? :unsure:

I have the same problem and I ended turning off the automatic updates. I would like to try with this Fixit in case it helps.

@tri: The Windows XP FAQ on this forum.... first topic, please let me know if it helps!

@x: I get a zip archive with 2 inf's and a dll, I don't use nlite, what is nlite?

Edited by snuz2

The FixIt requires NET .Framework 2 which I haven't installed at the moment and I don't think it worths the fuss to install it. The KB is for Windows XP SP2, the update package refuses to run on Windows XP SP3 because the SP3 is newer. I searched the Microsoft's site for something else relevant to the problem and I found nothing. I suppose we must wait for a new version of Windows Update.

@snuz2

Did you tried x's solution? Did it help?

As a working PC tech (but retired) I still have many older customers who are hanging on to their XP computers like an old and trusted friend.

Pretty much everything that was ever wrong in XP has been fixed, with Service Packs or my own tweaks. It now runs just fine without any more interference from MS.

In fact, their updates have caused more problems with XP computers world wide than any recent virus. I got tired of running service calls to reverse the damage done

by MS updates and I've just started turning OFF Auto Updates on every XP machine I work on. I turned them OFF on my own XP PC several years ago now.

Most MS updates involve still trying to FIX that nasty thing they call Internet Explorer. I mostly just ignore that thing and use Mozilla Firefox instead.

Life is too short and too complicated anyway, without letting MS sabotage our favorite OS.

So my advise to everyone and anyone, is just Turn Off Auto Updates, use Firefox for your browser, sit back and enjoy life. I do!

Cheers Mates!

:yes:

So my advise to everyone and anyone, is just Turn Off Auto Updates, use Firefox for your browser, sit back and enjoy life. I do!

Cheers Mates!

:yes:

Of course Opera ;) would be better :angel

But two out of three is not at all that bad :thumbup

:lol:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually installed .NET Framework 3.5 and run the Fix it. It says that the location that Windows Update saves files changed (not at all in fact), it supposedly fixes the problem and verifies the fix but if I run it again it reports exactly the same problem. I guess we must wait for a new version of Windows Update as I have already said.

No, Sir! If you ran -X- Script you have THE Latest "Microsoft Update" and may NEVER be updated again for XP. :unsure: This also happens to be, BTW, the LATEST for Windows& as well. ;)

Your "WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution" sub-sub-folders may have corrupt contents.

Here's a script that may/may-not work (it looks a bit overkill) -

http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst6506_Reset-Windows-Update-Components.aspx

Note that it deletes the CONTENTS of the named folders (where your problem MIGHT be).

It harms absolutely NOTHING to clear them out - they are, in essence, dross taking up valuable space.

HTH