Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

ppgrainbow

Guide to Installing and Updating Windows 2000 Professional

I would like to join themaritimeman in thanking you, submix8c in providing the switches to use with the windows update agent command. I had went through this guide 4 or 5 times in a VirtualBox guest trying to keep from doing the workaround for the later version of Windows Update Agent not working with 2000 & then when that didn't work, trying to use the workaround. I had a CD from Microsoft that came out in 2004 called Security 9 that had SP4 on it as well as IE6SP1 & some other stuff so at 1 point I thought that the stuff on the CD was messed up. In the end though I just executed "wua.exe /quiet /norestart /wuforce" in a command prompt box & everything just took off from there!!! The Background Intelligent Transfer Service/WinHTTP & Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 updates came up almost immediately wanting to be installed & with the install of those & after the required restart it is currently, as I write, downloading the huge update batch that the OS now needs (8% right now). Thanks again!!!

Running through this guide again I'm getting the "WUA.exe is not a valid win32 application" message.

:(

I manually downloaded the upload agent myself... and could finally get "0x80245001" error message on the update page :P Oh well!

Okay, since I downloaded all of the updates available for Windows 2000, I think that it would be good time to download all of the files and burn it to a CD-ROM ISO incase Microsoft ever decides to de-commission the Windows Update website in the near future.

Tramtrist, since I already installed Windows 2000 under VirtualBox, I currently don't have a problem accessing Windows Update under Windows 2000. I will try to reproduce this when doing a test installation of Windows 2000 under Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 x64 to see if this issue persists and if it does, then I'll get back to you. :)

Is it possible to get it work nowadays? Tried this a year ago - everything worked OK. Now I'm doing clean installation using this instructions - nothing but the error 0x800B0109.

What could be wrong? Is that cmd script which creates Windows Update Agent still correct? On my PC it creates working exe file only via second try (after the first try I receive an error like "non-valid Win32 application"). Or, maybe, there is another working Windows Update Agent exe file, which is ready to be installed and used?)

P.S. Skipped step 5.2 (for what do I need WinZip?) and used WinRAR instead of 5.3 to unpack Root Certificates.

Edited by Mysterio

You need:

1 - IE6-SP1 installed

2 - Root Certificates (latest)

3 - Read the following links (and yes, the WUA script works - get the LAST one)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173232-xp-sp3-install-clueless-about-updates/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173049-windowsmicrosoft-update-not-working-on-windows-2000xp2003/

Also don't neglect the WUA.EXE parameters in the CMD file.

Are you also installing the latest Win2K "Windows Installer" (curious)?

HTH

1. Have IE6 SP1 as described above in the first message of this board.

2. Root certificates - have this one (from the instruction) http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/rootsupd_a153023b66d29034420aa227ccc2164cff75229e.exe

Don't know if any newer exist.

3. WUA Script - also from the first message: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157027-windows-update-agent-which-version-do-you-have/page__view__findpost__p__1001720 (the one that has 257 downloads)

4. Windows Installer - have this one: WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

Didn't touch anything, just followed up the instructions. If there are any newer links to that files - I'll be happy to get them.

Edited by Mysterio

This guide is an excellent one for downloading all the updates for Windows 2000, but now in 2015, with several of the Un-Official options out there, I'd like to share a couple of quick experiences myself from this:

~ After installing the official Update Rollup 1, than the USP5.1, I installed a version of Windows Update and still got all the necessary updates with Windows 2000, those 90 or so. 

~ On an install where I also added Unofficial Update Rollup 2, this cuts back to about 24 updates. Not sure if this was because I didn't add the newer Windows Installer, .NET Framework and so forth, as well as DirectX. 

Am going to "redo" the Windows install, since I managed to break Windows sound service due to some "crackly audio" issues with the Ensoniq ES1370 card I have, then rearranging it in the PCI slots. Windows claims there is "No Audio Device Available," when drivers are installed and old drivers (Hidden ones) were removed as needed. 

I will post some results with screenshots to demonstrate my process, and see whether our group of veteran experts agree with what I'm going to do!

@Mysterio

3 - WUA... I had provided several CMD/BAT "fixes" after that.

Maybe you should just use the Official Microsoft one instead (second link - READ IT!!!)?

... Work-arounds to fix the problem. REMEMBER! WU and MU are two *entirely* different things!

Or RickTendo's pre-packaged one (first link - read the REST of it!!!)?

I can guaranteee that Windows Update (WU) works. MU (Microsoft Update) is "optional" in WU when you go to it. Please *do* read the second link all the way through.

DOH! Forgot to mention - *Definitely* install the Last *Official* Service pack *before* installing the others, if it's not already part of you Source. Basically, everything you need is in the Listed Steps given above, except for the *OFFICIAL* WU File. *AND* you *must* (better)  use the WUFORCE parameter (did you do that? read the links all the way through.)!!!

....and HTH ;)

One update to mention here.

I never got around updating the Readme.txt file in regards to this guide on installing and updating Win2K Professional. Once I got it done, I'll place all of the contents in a ISO file. :)

I may have to update the components in any event that Microsoft ed-commissions the Windows Update website in the foreseeable future.