Windows Update on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

If you had the chance to do a fresh re-installation of Windows 2000, here's the story.

I did a clean installation of Windows 2000 under Virtual PC 2004, applied Service Pack 4 and installed Internet Explorer 6 SP1.

The problem is that when I attempted to access v6 of the Windows Update website, it attempts to download an updated version of the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256. When this happens, Windows Update causes IE6 to crash: http://twitpic.com/b97jqq/full :(

Here's the following error information regarding the crash:

Error Signature

AppName: iexplore.exe

AppVersion: 6.0.2800.1106

ModName: wuweb.dll

ModVersion: 7.6.7600.257

Offset: 0001afca

Technical information about the error is as follows:

Exceptional Information

Code: 0xc0000005

Flags: 0x00000000

Record: 0x0000000000000000

Address: 0x0000000050e1afca

Here's a snippet on why installing Windows Update failed:

Is there any way to get around this without having Windows Update force an update of the wuweb.dll file?

Edited by ppgrainbow

Thanks for the help. :)

Okay, I placed 7za.exe and wget.exe in the \WUA directory and executed WUAv256.cmd which brings up the Command Prompt and it did the following:

1. Downloaded CABARC.EXE, PARTCOPY.EXE and XVI32.EXE.

2. Download and extracted Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.243.

3. Extracted the contents of the Windows Update Agent to the \WUCAB sub-directory.

When the downloading and the extracting was done, the \WUCAB sub-directory got deleted. :(

It turns out that the Windows Update Agent didn't to anything to resolve the Windows Update causing IE to crash. I'm sorry I'm failing providing enough information, but I need some more clear instructions on how to get the Windows Update Agent to work properly under Win2k again.

The script works 100% correctly. I've just tested it.

You need:

WUAv256.cmd
7za.exe
wget.exe

Make sure that your folder path doesn't contain any spaces. Run the script and wait until it has finished. An installer "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" will be created.

The script works 100% correctly. I've just tested it.

You need:

WUAv256.cmd
7za.exe
wget.exe

Make sure that your folder path doesn't contain any spaces. Run the script and wait until it has finished. An installer "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" will be created.

The script does work 100% correctly, but it had no effect on fixing the IE6 crash when accessing the Windows Update website. :(

Apparently, Microsoft forced the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (with wuweb.dll version 7.6.7600.257) that caused IE6 to crash and I can't find a way to get rid of it.

I'm wondering if anyone here ran into problems accessing Windows Update after doing a fresh install of Windows 2000 in a VM?

The script does work 100% correctly, but it had no effect on fixing the IE6 crash when accessing the Windows Update website. :(

Do you mean that you ran the script and then installed "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" but the situation is still the same. Is it right?

Do you mean that you ran the script and then installed "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" but the situation is still the same. Is it right?

Yes, that is right.

I did download Update Rollup 1 v2 for for Service Pack 4 and Windows Update Agent v2.0 to see if this will fix the problem. The good news is that the crash in IE6 was gone, but it didn't fix other problems. I was greeted with the splash screen offering me Microsoft Update as well as Express and Custom Updates. Clicking either of these options resulted in this error:

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings

To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.

3. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.

4. Under Userdata persistence, select Enable.

5. Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A0046) yourself.

I did followed all of the procedure above, but it didn't even work. The user data persistence in Internet Explorer is already enabled and I'm still getting this error message. :(

What should I do to fix this problem?

Well, it APPEARS that the main problem lies in the fact that you allowed WU to install v257. You got "stuck" with an install. Additionally, you might take note of the whole thread link given in that you do NOT want to install and/or "Enable"AU since this (apparently) "pushes" v257 anyway (somehow - would need to re-read the Topic). I'm not really sure of the "Automatic Update (AU)" thingy right now (on Win2k).

Try reinstalling Win2k w/SP4, manually upgrade to IE6SP1, then manually install the "BAT-generated" WU EXE file, ensure that "AU" (if installed??? see "not really sure" above) is "disabled", thus bypassing all of WU's "unintentional" breakage.

I'm not really sure WHY you would install WUAv2 since what the BAT creates is WAUv3 (which SHOULD work).

Can't tell you much more than that until I test this scenario.

edit - More on "0x800A0046" here and here.

Edited by submix8c

Well, it APPEARS that the main problem lies in the fact that you allowed WU to install v257. You got "stuck" with an install. Additionally, you might take note of the whole thread link given in that you do NOT want to install and/or "Enable"AU since this (apparently) "pushes" v257 anyway (somehow - would need to re-read the Topic). I'm not really sure of the "Automatic Update (AU)" thingy right now (on Win2k).

Try reinstalling Win2k w/SP4, manually upgrade to IE6SP1, then manually install the "BAT-generated" WU EXE file, ensure that "AU" (if installed??? see "not really sure" above) is "disabled", thus bypassing all of WU's "unintentional" breakage.

I'm not really sure WHY you would install WUAv2 since what the BAT creates is WAUv3 (which SHOULD work).

Can't tell you much more than that until I test this scenario.

edit - More on "0x800A0046" here and here.

submix8c, I just done a re-installation of Windows 2000 w/SP4 integrated, installed Internet Explorer 6 SP1, applied the BAT-generated Windows Update agent. When I was done, I applied the Windows 2000 Root Certificate Update.

And then after that, when I accessed Windows Update again, I got this message: http://twitpic.com/b9g0cr/full

If I waited or if I declined the offer, I get this error:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:

Refresh the page.

In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.

Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

If these steps don’t work, try visiting the site later or using the resources provided below.

For self-help options:

* Frequently Asked Questions

* Find Solutions

* Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for update-related issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x8DDD0004) yourself.

If I checkboxed "Always trust content from Microsoft Windows Component Publisher" and selected yes, Internet Explorer 6 would crash again.

It looks like that I'm stuck here. I was wondering if installing a older version of Windows Update Agent would help, but no. Microsoft is always forcing the latest version of the Microsoft Windows Component Publisher down our throats lately. :(

Update: What fixed the issue is that I had to install Update Rollup 1 v2 for Service Pack 4 prior to installing the Microsoft Windows Component Publisher when accessing Windows Update. After that, I needed to install the software upgrade for the Windows software components: http://twitpic.com/b9gkfi

When that was done, I could finally access the list of the updates that were previously been made available to Windows 2000. After Windows Update scanned the list of updates, there were 90 high priority updates and 6 optional software updates.

I'm sorry that I got into this message here, but after I get all of the updates installed, I'll try to provide clearer instructions on how to install updates to Windows 2000 despite the fact that it has not been officially supported by Microsoft in almost 2½ years.

:)

Edited by ppgrainbow

1 - Win2kSP4

2 - Update Rollup 1 v2

3 - IE6SP1 (latest, including the 3 newer CABS)

4 - ROOTSUPD

5 - BITS 2.0

6 - Installer 3.1

7 - Windows Update Agent

Not sure if the order #3->#7 are important. I got 92 Updates (?) and 6 Optionals.

I'll also retest the scenario tomorrow. ;)

The Boss ordered be to shut down. :w00t:

1 - Win2kSP4

2 - Update Rollup 1 v2

3 - IE6SP1 (latest, including the 3 newer CABS)

4 - ROOTSUPD

5 - BITS 2.0

6 - Installer 3.1

7 - Windows Update Agent

Not sure if the order #3->#7 are important. I got 92 Updates (?) and 6 Optionals.

I'll also retest the scenario tomorrow. ;)

The Boss ordered be to shut down. :w00t:

Thanks so much for the help! :thumbup

I will provide a length guide on how to apply updates to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 in separate forum threads for complete details! :yes:

We really need a new service pack... :(

I understand how you feel there. :(

In a response to this thread, I posted a lengthy guile for anyone who wants to install and update Win2k. :)

It's been a long day of having to get everything working right right. I'm gonna be heading for bed soon. It's getting late.

???

Unofficial SP5.2 (in process) in this subforum. tomasz86 also provides some links and recommendations for the meanwhile.

To cross-post to your guide.

An FYI... I didn't do what you did in your guide. I did what I stated above, including the WUAv2.56/v2.57 (read the thread) - you have to use "/wuforce" to install it.

Edited by submix8c

???

Unofficial SP5.2 (in process) in this subforum. tomasz86 also provides some links and recommendations for the meanwhile.

To cross-post to your guide.

An FYI... I didn't do what you did in your guide. I did what I stated above, including the WUAv2.56/v2.57 (read the thread) - you have to use "/wuforce" to install it.

Thank you so much for the heads up.