Creating a Bootable usb nlite installer?

KapnJackSparrow

Creating a Bootable usb nlite installer? I am still having the bad-pool caller issue and I am running out of disks to trouble shoot the problem.(It's also a hell of a lot slower using cd/dvd instead of usb)

First question is there Tool or a guide on how to do this? if not can someone make one? I have looked but there doesn't seem to be one specific to nlite.

Second questions would it be possible to include a burn to usb feature in the next version? I used this guide http://komku.blogspot.ca/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

but it is a little unclear how to specifically do it with an nlite os, (I would prefer to just replace the needed files if I want to make a new Installation)

there doesn't seem to be one specific to nlite.

There is no need for one. nLited install disks behave mainly like standard MS install disks.

There is a subforum called "Install XP from USB" with a few different methods listed. Only specific methods need some files (winnt.exe and such) NOT to be removed by nLite ("Manual Install and Upgrade" in "OS Options", Components removal) but those methods have been superseded and you did not remove such components anyway.

There are even methods now allowing you to copy the iso file as such on the (prepared) flash drive.

You could also test your install with Virtual Box, starting the XP install from an ISO file (as a virtual CD) in a virtual machine. You wouldn't need any cd nor USB drive, just few Gigabytes free on your HDD and some ~300Meg RAM available for the "guest" OS.

Drawback is that it uses virtual drivers (for virtual machine) and so some aspects of the running OS cannot be tested.

There is no "next nLite version". The author has considered the project as finished since a few years now. XP is getting old as well.

Prepare for the usual correction of my post and the addition of tons of links by ...someone.

Edited...for correction.

Edited by Ponch

There are several methods. Look around...

1 - From Ram-Loaded CD

2 - From Ram-Loaded HDD Image (see #3)

3 - From USB Directly (two boots - must run Setup with "/noreboot" and alter a few files before prep)

Grub4DOS is the usual "boot loader"...

FWIW, this worked for me... http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/

FlashBoot is a tool to make USB storage devices bootable. FlashBoot supports USB thumbdrives and USB HDDs. FlashBoot partitions, formats USB storage device and then automatically installs operating system files to it. Supported operating systems: Windows 7/Vista, Windows XP, SysLinux-based disks, GRUB4DOS disks, Linux kernel etc.

Edited by PinkFreud