Windows XP + USB = Idiocy

naaloh

As every Windows XP user probably knows, this OS has an utterly stupid feature of installing a USB device anew if it was plugged into a different USB receptacle, unless the device has a unique serial number, which is, usually, only true for mass storage devices. I've read somewhere that it was introduced to permit using two identical devices without SNs simultaneously, but if the developers really wanted this, they should make the OS install another device only if the previously installed device(s) of this same type were connected. As it stands, the current implementation is nothing but annoyance for 99.(9) percent of users.

I'm, therefore, very much interested if there's a way to get rid of this behavior. I don't care if I lose the ability to use two identical devices without SNs simultaneously. Why would I want to, anyway, it's not like I need a number of UMTS modems or IrDA adapters or anything else. I may need two identical external HDDs, but those will surely have SNs.

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but it seems that the search engine on this forum ignores three letter words, at least I got nothing when I searched for "USB".

To search for words 3 letters or less, you can use google. For example you can go to google and type this into the search box:

site:msfn.org usb xp

As far as this issue, it also exists in Vista and Windows 7 as well, however it is more transparent and less annoying. However, the underlying driver model is still there, as is evident that a per-port driver instance can become corrupted in Windows 7, making it so a USB device will not work on a specific port, but will on another. I have a GoFlex drive that refuses to work on either of the front USB ports on my workstation. I think it has something to do with not using the Safely Remove Hardware feature.

To search for words 3 letters or less, you can use google. For example you can go to google and type this into the search box:

site:msfn.org usb xp

Yeah, sure, and spend the rest of my life studying the 44,100 results :whistle: I wonder why you haven't suggested just searching the internet for usb xp, this would've been about as helpful :thumbdown

As far as this issue, it also exists in Vista and Windows 7 as well, however it is more transparent and less annoying.

Care to elaborate on this? I haven't used Vista or 7, so it would be interesting to know how it handles USB devices.

Yeah, sure, and spend the rest of my life studying the 44,100 results :whistle:

Perhaps this is the reason the forum search feature doesn't allow searching for three-letter words. :P And the rest of that paragraph of yours was just disrespectful. :thumbdown

Edited by 5eraph

Perhaps this is the reason the forum search feature doesn't allow searching for three-letter words. :P

Well, if this is indeed the reason, then whoever made the engine like this clearly lost his connection with reality, because, unlike internet search engines, the forum search allows to specify forums to look in and limit search to topic titles only, so it would most certainly haven't been more than a few hundred results (a score or two is more likely).

And the rest of that paragraph of yours was just disrespectful. :thumbdown

In my world no respect is given for spouting pointless "advices", what about yours?

Edited by naaloh

He gave you a good start, naaloh. You could try this with Google:

USB site:http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks, 5eraph. I didn't know that google accepted paths for the "site:" parameter (after all, the description says "Search one site (like wikipedia.org ) or limit your results to a domain like .edu, .org or .gov"). Well, looking through the results, I haven't found anything similar to my question, so we're back to square one: is there any way to prevent XP from installing already installed devices anew just because they've been plugged into a different receptacle?

In my world no respect is given for spouting pointless "advices", what about yours?

In mine your question is pointless, so you deserve no respect. Is that how it works ? I don't think so.

Please read the forum rules, especially 7b.

In mine your question is pointless, so you deserve no respect. Is that how it works ? I don't think so.

Please read the forum rules, especially 7b.

You're right, it's not how it works, because my question is not pointless. And if you really found flame in my posts, then you'll certainly have no trouble finding water in Sahara desert... or a non-existent black cat in a dark room.

IMHO, Windows XP doesn't have a single stupid feature...

Google results are unfruitful...

EDIT: Does the "feature" have a name? :o

Am I to assume that you don't consider features like AutoPlay or Desktop Cleanup Wizard stupid? Never thought people like that existed... except perhaps those who think that "stupid" is not a word strong enough to describe those features B)

As to the name, none that I'm aware of.

IMHO, Windows XP doesn't have a single stupid feature...

Google results are unfruitful...

EDIT: Does the "feature" have a name? :o

Am I to assume that you don't consider features like AutoPlay or Desktop Cleanup Wizard stupid? Never thought people like that existed... except perhaps those who think that "stupid" is not a word strong enough to describe those features B)

As to the name, none that I'm aware of.

You are correct on your assessment of my position.

Not even an "unofficial" name? If you were to objectively describe it in words, what would you call it?

Yeah, sure, and spend the rest of my life studying the 44,100 results :whistle:

Perhaps this is the reason the forum search feature doesn't allow searching for three-letter words. :P And the rest of that paragraph of yours was just disrespectful. :thumbdown

The character restriction is not something we have set, it is in the forum software. It is to prevent searches from taxing the server, especially when on forums that are as old as this one. :D

Everyone in this thread needs to settle down. :realmad:

In hindsight, I guess we should have just answered the OP:

No, as far as we know there is no way to get rid of this behavior.

And also provided the link that GrofLuigi provided.

Cheers and Regards