Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

I fear that you are right on this one and Mozilla won't back off its decision.

I wonder for how long the Pale Moon folks can carry on with the distinctive FF interface without having to go through a lot of contortions to keep it that way as new versions of FF with the wrecked UI come out.

BTW, have you noticed that embedded quotes aren't showing up when you quote somebody else's post? The same thing happened to me when I was preparing my reply to jaclaz three posts upthread (#5548).

--JorgeA

The Free Software Foundation declares:

Microsoft's Software is Malware

Now I don't like a lot of the things Microsoft has done or is doing, but this may be taking things a bit too far. :unsure:  What do you think?

One of the links there takes us to another site where the writer asserts that NSA has enjoyed special access to every version of Windows "except early versions of Windows 95 (and its predecessors)." Looks like @Charlotte, who recommends hanging on to your Windows 98 systems, will have to step even further back for better assurance. :)

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo

Edited by JorgeA

The Free Software Foundation declares:

Microsoft's Software is Malware

Now I don't like a lot of the things Microsoft has done or is doing, but this may be taking things a bit too far. :unsure:  What do you think?

One of the links there takes us to another site where the writer asserts that NSA has enjoyed special access to every version of Windows "except early versions of Windows 95 (and its predecessors)." Looks like @Charlotte, who recommends hanging on to your Windows 98 systems, will have to step even further back for better assurance. :)

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo

Oww, comeon, it was published in 1999:

http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/5/5263/1.html

And was already posted (by you):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155290-windows-8-deeper-impressions/?p=1046963

And :whistle:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155290-windows-8-deeper-impressions/?p=1046967

(BTW instead of "Quote", I pressed "Like" by mistake, give it back to me!)

P.S.: OK, I have found the UNlike button. :)

Edited by jaclaz

I fear that you are right on this one and Mozilla won't back off its decision.

I wonder for how long the Pale Moon folks can carry on with the distinctive FF interface without having to go through a lot of contortions to keep it that way as new versions of FF with the wrecked UI come out.

BTW, have you noticed that embedded quotes aren't showing up when you quote somebody else's post? The same thing happened to me when I was preparing my reply to jaclaz three posts upthread (#5548).

--JorgeA

I dont know much about palemoon so I'd be very iffy on that. As for the embedded posts I have no idea. Heck I left for 2 DAYS and the forum changed just like that :crazy: . I dont understand the like thing either :thumbdown , but unlike certain companies its not a drastic change ;) .

I was going to post this to the fake screenshots thread but, somehow, I do think it'll be better posted here, so:

Nicely done. Not a screen shot, or my video, but... still fits with the theme very well.

Nicely done. Not a screen shot, or my video, but... still fits with the theme very well.

I've seen something like that (maybe even in this thread?). Love it!  :thumbup

--JorgeA

You KNOW that the NSA surveillance situation is bad when even the principal author of the Patriot Act thinks it's too much :ph34r: --

House to Advance Bill to End Mass NSA Surveillance

A bill that would effectively end one of the National Security Agency's most controversial spy programs is finally getting its day in congressional court.

The House Judiciary Committee will hold a markup of an amended version of the USA Freedom Act on Wednesday, a surprising and sudden move that would essentially nullify the government's ability to collect bulk metadata of Americans' phone records.

[...] 

The more aggressive Freedom Act is sponsored by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, the one-time mastermind behind the post-9/11 Patriot Act, from which both the Obama and Bush administrations have derived much of the legal authority for their surveillance programs. Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Republican, has vocally condemned NSA spying since Edward Snowden's leaks surfaced last June. The bill has long been supported by privacy and civil-liberties groups who view it as the best legislative reform package in Congress.

Glad to see he's doing this. But politicians of all stripes (and the voters who put them into office) need to realize that governments will take the law -- any law -- as written, and bend and stretch the meaning of it as far as possible to rationalize increased power.

--JorgeA

I've seen something like that (maybe even in this thread?). Love it!  :thumbup

--JorgeA

I might've posted that vid on this thread before, I dont remember, but I do remember posting it around the forum abit though.

I have a friend who used to scoff at me when I'd tell him that Gmail was a threat to his privacy. Funny, he's not doing that any more.

A number of email services claiming to offer secure and private communications have come out recently. As to whether they're actually fronts for government spy agencies ;), we can't be sure, but the StartPage/Ixquick people, whom I do trust, will soon be rolling out their StartMail service.

Thanks for the articles about Google and the drones. There's a lot of, uh, interesting possibilities for this technology. How long do you think it'll be before the entire planet's surface is monitored in real time by a network of these thingies?

--JorgeA

Its getting to the point where I feels like just wiping every things off my drive (vista not Me), and starting new with NT 4 or 2000. (not xp for it has activation) Then forever search the web anonymously with a proxy under the name of what ever the random name generator gives me http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ , then use a disposable email from a site like this http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/ .

Dont mean to bring up the already dead topic about email clients, but another email client I found whom is about privacy is Shazzlemail https://shazzlemail.com/. Like the one you provided (StartMail) this client also encrypts your email messages, and its free!!! (Disclaimer I'm not advertising this product please dont Ban me mods :ph34r: ) Just made an account and trying it out now. The only downside so far, is that you must make your account on a mobile device before being able to use in on the pc.

Thanks for the scoop Flasche, that does sound promising.

Wonder why the requirement to create the account on a mobile device first. :unsure:

Let us know how you make out with Shazzlemail. Anything that might protect users from the snoops (official and unofficfial) is welcome and topical on this thread. :)

--JorgeA

The spirit of Metro lives on: First it was Firefox, now it's Chrome and even the search engine DuckDuckGo that are looking at dumbing down their user interfaces, giving less information and making things harder to use:

Google Chrome flirts with killing URLs

Once you enable the Origin Chip, Instead of seeing a full, long string of words, letters, and slashes in the address bar—such as "http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=sa_menu_adr_app?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011"—all you'll see is the root domain itself (such as Amazon.com).

DuckDuckGo, the search engine that doesn't track you, finally challenges Google

Note in the image below how the new version (on the left) gives you only the domain name rather than a fuller URL for each specific result. This could be a bear if you're looking at multiple results from the same site. For the fuller URL now you will have to hover over each item individually. What a time-waster.

Oh, and the page titles are no longer in a distinctive blue, making it easier to tell apart from the rest of the text. Everything blends together and you can't tell what's what with a simple glance.

Image search is also less informative and useful. Until now, if you over over an image result, it has given you the site where the image is located. In the new version of DuckDuckGo (to be fair, still a work in progress), it merely gives you the pixel dimensions. :huh:

duckduckgo-revamp-100266740-orig.png