Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

The inmensely satisfying experience with the much improved Tiles 81 :w00t: :

Man, HTML5 Youtube sucks.

Speaking of HTML 5: The "war against Flash" so many tards engaged in will bite them in the a**. Remember the anti-Flash hype a few years back?

Flash wasn't perfect, but at least all the DRM shenanigans and other annoyances were confined in that plug-in. Didn't want it? Don't install it!

Now with HTML 5, all that stuff is getting buit-in into the browser! And you won't be able to just deactivate it this time! (and its performance still worse than Flash) I knew it that with the death of Flash they will put all that crap into the Browser core itself - all these HTML5 fanboys and kiddies thought the industry would just give up on DRM once Flash dies or something, yeah right.

Edited by Formfiller

Oh, nice:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/windows-81-removing-local-account-bug-during/f2c43beb-7035-43ed-86f6-6d5560746222

When doing update from Win 8 to Win 8.1, windows is removing my local account and substituting it with Windows Live ID.

Why this is a bug?

I was not provided an option to not have my Live ID set up. All I could do Is click NEXT.

I knew they trick people into creating MS accounts when installing 8.1 on a new computer, but I didn't know they forcefully convert old Windows 8 accounts too.

Cute!

The actual "developers" of Linux (and more or less of any other *nix flavour) despise the common user :w00t: and out of either a perverted mind or superior knowledge of the OS make things incredibly complex (even when they would be simple), scarcely (if ever) document usage (you are told to read the source code when asking something that is not in the man) and even when there is an actual complete man page (most are outdated, or miss some switches) there is always ONLY the syntax, but NEVER an example, which makes actually grasping the concepts more difficult and requires an insane amount of failed attempts to get a fully working command line.

The actual developers of most "GUI" releases despise the common user as well, and, considering (not being entirely wrong, given the complexity of the "base" above) complete morons, and thus attempt to hide from them the underneath commands/way of working by replacing it with "dumbified" GUI "automagic" tools.

So we have a "base OS" that is very complex (not in itself but because it is often poorly documented for the layman) and on top of it a - usually very limited (and completely undocumented) GUI.

Additionally each different distro/build has a few essential aspects changed (for no real - apparently - reason).

Typically:

• bootloader/bootmanager (and relative cheatcodes)
  • automounting of devices (fstab sometimes called a different name and placed anywhere but where you would expect it to be)
  • placement of essential files in different places/subdirectories
  • different naming of devices (particularly mass storage devices)

Mind you, I like Linux as an OS and usually like most of the GUI distro's, but I cannot but underline how IMHO the limited success it had is due - at least in part - to the lack of actual "customer respect" (for one reason or the other) that most builds reflect.

Here's an article by a Linux enthusiast, who makes many of your same points about that OS. In light of the latest outrages about Windows 8.1 reported by MagicAndre, TELVM, and Formfiller (see the last several posts above this one), this will all be good to know going in.

--JorgeA

Oh my God, has Microsoft NuMicrosofted the "My Documents" folder?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/windows-rt-8-1-update-temporarily-pulled-due-to-a-situation/?comments=1&post=25513165#comment-25513165

Off topic, but Microsoft should have added a big note about how the SkyDrive works in the default "Express Settings" that most people will choose. By default, all new documents will be saved to the SkyDrive! This will create a big havoc for most people who will be wondering where their files went. It also results in slow file move/copy operation, just plain bad user experience especially if you are not aware that you are using the cloud. At the minimum, Microsoft should make users aware of the new scheme. MS f*cked up the W8.0 launch with lack of proper tutorial and I think they are making the same mistake again here.

Can someone test this? Unbelievable!

As you all know, I am not exactly fond of NuMicrosoft, but that they will go this far with 8.1 is not something I have imagined.

Frank X. Shaw (Why do I always think about Bill Murray when I read this name?) says that the review is inaccurate.

He's right. The reviewer doesn't mention all the regressions (no backup program anymore) and all the bullying new in 8.1.

Edited by Formfiller

Here's an article by a Linux enthusiast, who makes many of your same points about that OS. In light of the latest outrages about Windows 8.1 reported by MagicAndre, TELVM, and Formfiller (see the last several posts above this one), this will all be good to know going in.

--JorgeA

Nice, he is making (much better than me) those same points.

JFYI (and as a side note) a real-life experience on how a trifling thing can be made (unneededly) complex:

http://reboot.pro/topic/15207-why-everything-is-so-dmn-diificult-a-web-quest-for-ddexe/

Not that finding a file or the other on MS servers is any easier, mind you.

jaclaz

Don't hold your breath regarding Linux. I know that community very well and they have never managed to get their acts together.

Android is the most successful Linux because it is pretty much completely encapsulated from the FOSS "community" and uses only the kernel:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

Linux on the desktop can only be successful if a professional company (not the Ubuntu dudes) "robs it" and creates something like Android for Desktop. Maybe Valve can do just that for games. The end result wouldn't be much "open" though.

Oh my God, has Microsoft NuMicrosofted the "My Documents" folder?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/windows-rt-8-1-update-temporarily-pulled-due-to-a-situation/?comments=1&post=25513165#comment-25513165

Off topic, but Microsoft should have added a big note about how the SkyDrive works in the default "Express Settings" that most people will choose. By default, all new documents will be saved to the SkyDrive! This will create a big havoc for most people who will be wondering where their files went. It also results in slow file move/copy operation, just plain bad user experience especially if you are not aware that you are using the cloud. At the minimum, Microsoft should make users aware of the new scheme. MS f*cked up the W8.0 launch with lack of proper tutorial and I think they are making the same mistake again here.

Can someone test this? Unbelievable!

As you all know, I am not exactly fond of NuMicrosoft, but that they will go this far with 8.1 is not something I have imagined.

:blink: From the dragon's lair:

Windows-8_1-Setup-SkyDrive.jpg

"SkyDrive screen during setup

If this is your first time setting up a PC with Windows 8.1, you'll see the new SkyDrive options.

If you click Next on this screen, your PC will use these default SkyDrive settings:

• Photos you take with this PC are saved to your camera roll folder on this PC, and a smaller copy of each photo is automatically backed up to your SkyDrive.

• When you create a new document, the default save location is SkyDrive. But you can always choose to save individual documents locally or on another drive.

• Windows will save a backup copy of your PC settings to SkyDrive. If something ever happens to your PC and you need to replace it, your settings are saved in the cloud and you can transfer them to a new PC instantly.

You can change any of these settings later in PC settings. If you'd prefer to turn off all of these settings now, click Turn off these SkyDrive settings (not recommended)."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-vista-xp-tutorial#install

http://imagesup.net/?di=213823837136

I have just installed the 8.1 90 days demo just for this in a VM and saw that screen as well.

It pops up separately after you chose "Express Settings". But given their course, they could make it truly insidious in the next version; just like they did it with the MS Account deception in 8.1.

Edited by Formfiller

If you install new programs (desktop and metro apps alike) they don't show up on the start screen anymore. You need to press an arrow-button in the start screen, get an even more convoluted busy "all programs" like screen, and there the new programs are.

You can pin the programs there to the start screen.

That whole concept still sucks. I like it how the tards complain about the need to scroll the start menu, while here you need to horizontally scroll the whole screen!