WinPE 4.0 Windows 8 Developer Preview

GoodNPlenty

As long as Intel atom machines exist in numbers (and they still do) that are 32bit only, there will be a potential for a 32bit Windows 8 release. I'd say it'll be the last, but Vista was supposed to be the last, then Win7...... At least OEMs are now preloading 64bit Win7 on all new hardware that supports it, which should get the 64bit installed base to grow (I believe it already has, quite a bit).

As long as Intel atom machines exist in numbers (and they still do) that are 32bit only, there will be a potential for a 32bit Windows 8 release. I'd say it'll be the last, but Vista was supposed to be the last, then Win7...... At least OEMs are now preloading 64bit Win7 on all new hardware that supports it, which should get the 64bit installed base to grow (I believe it already has, quite a bit).

Oh btw, most Atom CPUs nowadays support 64bit. As a testament to this, I haven't had to use a 32bit WinPE on teh WDS in so long, Its been disabled for over a year now to save menu space.

Regarding the "uninstallability" it is referenced on this download page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

I think you guys will like this blog post...

Windows 8 Preview - Howto - Creating a WinPE boot image with .NET Framework and PowerShell

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/41/Windows-8-Preview-Howto-Creating-a-WinPE-boot-image-with-NET-Framework-and-PowerShell.aspx

/ Johan

This is a clear sign that I am too old for this. :(

IMHO there should be a WARNING sign before accessing that page. :w00t:

Having in the same screenshot:

Windows Preinstallation Environment

Size: 1.6 Gb

A minimal operating system ....

(bolding is mine)

Is a far too strong shock for my aging heart......:ph34r:

:lol:

jaclaz

Oh btw, most Atom CPUs nowadays support 64bit.
Yes, but a whole raft of older 1st-gen Atoms are still 32bit only, and run Windows 7 (and will run Windows 8) just fine. As long as machines like this exist, and MS wants to support them, there'll be a 32bit variant (at least in Win7, there was the "starter" SKU that was 32bit only, not sure if that'll translate to Win8 for developing countries again or not and only time will tell).

Having in the same screenshot:

Windows Preinstallation Environment

Size: 1.6 Gb

A minimal operating system ....

(bolding is mine)

Is a far too strong shock for my aging heart......:ph34r:

:lol:

jaclaz

Yes but that is the initial size. I haven't tried it yet, but further along you'll see the final size is about 500MB or something. That is still a lot bigger than the current PE sizes I deal with, which is less than 300MB for a 64bit WinPE.

But in a related note, Windows 7 Embedded's minimal image size using the Digital Signage method is 1.6GB too.

• 3 weeks later...