Did Microsoft go back on its policy?

Hello,

A couple of days ago I took my Windows 98 system online for the first time in a while (using Internet Explorer 6) and, before I could do anything else, I was redirected to a Microsoft page urging me to upgrade my PC so that I can use IE8 !?!

Note the text that I have circled in the attached screenshot, where MS touts IE8 as "respecting my privacy" because the address bar and the search bar are kept separate. So why did they take it OUT in IE9 ?

--JorgeA

post-287775-0-90136900-1310444629_thumb.

Its marketing really. By the time IE9 hit release, the bing thing was to use the Bing BHO as the search option. Either way, I'm pretty sure you can search from the IE8 and IE9 address bar, as long as that option is enabled in the Advanced Internet Options.

Its marketing really. By the time IE9 hit release, the bing thing was to use the Bing BHO as the search option. Either way, I'm pretty sure you can search from the IE8 and IE9 address bar, as long as that option is enabled in the Advanced Internet Options.

Tripredacus,

What I found funny was that they're touting the separate address and search bars in one IE version as such a great feature, but then fused them back together in the next version. Wouldn't that cancel the benefit they were highlighting?

--JorgeA

Maybe there were a lot of complaints about it? I know tons of people that use the address bar for searching.

Tripredacus,

That's probably it. But if so, then it's odd that they're STILL currently touting the separate IE8 address / search bars (I was on that page on Sunday).

--JorgeA

There's no reason to. It's use is to prevent delivery trough Automatic Updates, which don't actually exist on 9x (not sure about ME).

You beat me to the punch. My Win98 doesn't download updates automatically, it only notifies me that they're available. But it does do this by "hijacking" my browser every so often to take me to the Windows Update site when I open a browser session.

Not that there are not any more MS updates for Windows 98, but that's the way it worked when updates were available (and I'm still getting redirected every so often).

@jaclaz: Long time no see!

--JorgeA

Microsoft's big problem with using a single bar was that (by default) anything you typed in the address bar was sent back to your default search provider. The feature probably did get a lot of requests, so they merged the bars but simply turned off sending search items to your default search provider by default - rather than being on and having to opt out as with some other browsers, you have to opt-in for that to happen. That was the security/privacy risk they were talking about.

Microsoft's big problem with using a single bar was that (by default) anything you typed in the address bar was sent back to your default search provider. The feature probably did get a lot of requests, so they merged the bars but simply turned off sending search items to your default search provider by default - rather than being on and having to opt out as with some other browsers, you have to opt-in for that to happen. That was the security/privacy risk they were talking about.

Ahh, so THAT'S the reason. And then changing that feature from opt-out to opt-in took care of the privacy concern, so in IE9 it's once again OK to have a unified address+search bar.

Thanks for the explanation!

--JorgeA